Manchurian Candidate

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Sinatra was great in the original movie but why in the world did they pick Brit born Laurence Harvey as a grunt Korean Soldier? The convoluted plot focused on the conduct of a loudmouth anti-Communist senator who was actually a tool of the communist propaganda regime.

Sinatra was great in the original movie but why in the world did they pick Brit born Laurence Harvey as a grunt Korean Soldier? The convoluted plot focused on the conduct of a loudmouth anti-Communist senator who was actually a tool of the communist propaganda regime.
We've been watching the Manchurian Candidate for the past 3 1/2 years. Part 2 coming in Nov. if Heels Up gets installed.

What the hell are you talking about?

Harvey played Raymond Shaw, not a Korean soldier.

And he was born in Lithuania, not the UK.

Interesting fact. Angela Lansbury was only three years older than Laurence Harvey when she played his mother in The Manchurian Candidate.

What the hell are you talking about?

Harvey played Raymond Shaw, not a Korean soldier.

And he was born in Lithuania, not the UK.
My bad. I should have added that the Shaw character was a U.S. Army Korean war soldier not a Korean. Lithuania or U.K., he had an awkward British accent that didn't resonate as a U.S. Sergeant.

My bad. I should have added that the Shaw character was a U.S. Army Korean war soldier not a Korean. Lithuania or U.K., he had an awkward British accent that didn't resonate as a U.S. Sergeant.
Method acting wasn't yet a thing back then.

Another fun thing to watch in that movie is the martial arts fighting compared to the kind you see in action movies these days.

Frank Sinatra, kung-fu master! :lol:

Method acting wasn't yet a thing back then.

Another fun thing to watch in that movie is the martial arts fighting compared to the kind you see in action movies these days.

Frank Sinatra, kung-fu master! :lol:
The Sinatra character got his ass kicked by the Korean character but Shaw was a typical U.S. Soldier. It seems that method acting was the thing back then.

Hollywood managed to portray the Communist menace as the enemy but at the same time a "republican" senator was the heart of the conspiracy. As preposterous as the plot was it still resonates as a classic suspense movie.

I really enjoyed the motive. I saw it in Washington D.C. the night before I had an interview with the NSA. I though Laurence Harvey was an excellent choice for the roll.

Forum List

Back