🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mandatory evac for parts of Oroville b/c of dam situation

I have family in Sacramento. Not really under any threat from this as Oroville is quite a ways north of Sac. But if the damn lets go, it's going to hit the Sacramento river and My brother has a few boats docked in the northern Sacramento area.

Okay, it sounds like the main spillway erosion has slowed or stopped and the erosion on the emergency spillway has slowed significantly. They are still planning on dropping sacks of rock into the emergency spillway hole (though there is no timeframe for that yet) and they are confident that they can maintain the current rate of release on the auxiliary spillway.

KCRA reported that at Gridley, the river levels will rise to about 95 feet with a flood stage at 103 feet.

It looks as if they have the management of the water under control and barring something disastrous, the damn is going to be stable through the night and as the levels in inflow and outflow balance, they can get this under control.

I have major issues with California's politics, but I will say that their emergency management systems have always been world class. I'm glad to see that since I left Sacramento (1998) that has remained true.

Have a good night.

Interesting that every single state, county, local official that is dealing with this is white. It just proves when our superior thinking skills are needed.

Even better, lake managers are planning on lowering the lake until the pressure on the emergency spillway is lowered (needless to say, it will stop the spill over) so I think they are well on the way to controlling this crisis.

Good job!

c3101614b2494e0e1613e2fb01fdc67a.png

Current Conditions | U.S Drought Portal

No drought at present indicated for Northern California. The history of California and atmospheric rivers is well known, the failure to take that into account when building the dam is an engineering failure. And what we see happening at present is the way most droughts in California end.

DWR Climate Action Plan

DWR’s Climate Action Plan is divided into three phases:

Phase I is DWR’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Plan (GGERP), which covers how DWR will help mitigate the future impacts of climate change by reducing the GHG emissions from its activities. Phase I was completed in June 2012 when DWR Director Mark Cowin signed the adoption of the GGERP. DWR is currently implementing the GGERP and is on target to achieve the major GHG reductions described. Click here for additional information about DWR’s GGERP.

Phase II is DWR’s framework and guidance for consistent incorporation and alignment of analysis for climate change impacts in its project and program planning activities. Climate change analysis can be extremely complex, including accounting for large uncertainties about the future climate and other important future conditions. This phase of the DWR Climate Action Plan will ensure that all DWR planning activities meet standards for quality, scientific rigor, and consistency. Phase II work began in 2012 with the empaneling of DWR’s outside Climate Change Technical Advisory Group. Phase II is expected to be completed in 2016.

Phase III is DWR’s Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation Plan (VA/AP). This phase of the Climate Action Plan evaluates, describes, and where possible, quantifies the vulnerabilities of DWR’s assets and business activities to projected changes in temperature, wildfire, Sea Level Rise, and hydrology (including precipitation, snowpack runoff, and flooding). Once identified, these vulnerabilities will be prioritized and appropriate adaptation strategies will be developed to address them. Work on DWR’s VA/AP began in 2014. The Vulnerability Assessment portion of Phase III is expected to be completed in 2016 with the Adaptation Plan following in 2017.
I love California drivers. They use lane change indicators and other people let them in. The morons on motorcycles need a little shove.

The dam was built 50 years ago. They failed to take into account the extreme amounts of rain that California gets in an atmospheric river event. This is a common failure among engineers that build dams. The Fort Peck Dam in Montana has the same problem, and almost failed in 2011. The Corps of Engineers asked Congress for enough money to rebuild the spillway so it would take four times as much volume as the existing one. They only got enough money to repair the existing spillway. And now there is more snow in the money than there was in 2011.

Evacuating residents stuck in gridlock traffic...
eek.gif

The Latest: Officials eye repairs as water level drops
February 13, 2017 — The Latest on problems with an emergency spillway at the nation's tallest dam (all times local):
11 p.m.

A California water official says no repair work was done Sunday on the eroded emergency spillway at the nation's tallest dam. Lake Oroville is about 150 miles northeast of San Francisco, and the 770-foot-tall Oroville Dam is the nation's tallest. Earlier Sunday, authorities mentioned a plan to plug the hole by using helicopters to drop rocks into the crevasse. Acting Director Department of Water Resources Bill Croyle said at a news conference late Sunday that no corrective measures were taken after looking at the flow and available resources. He said officials will be able to assess the damage to the emergency spillway now that the water is no longer spilling over the top. He added that the integrity of the dam has not impacted.

10:30 p.m.

A California water official says 100,000 cubic feet per second continue to flow down the Orville Dam's main spillway. Department of Water Resources Acting Director Bill Croyle said at a news conference late Sunday that the plan is to continue withdrawing that amount of water for as long as possible. Croyle says a key goal is to reduce the dam's level ahead of upcoming storms forecast to reach the area Wednesday. Water levels at Lake Orville rose so high that an emergency spillway was used Saturday for the first time in almost 50 years. Officials noticed erosion on the emergency spillway on Sunday. Croyle says officials have been unable to access the erosion scar but will be able to analyze the damage better now that water is below its level.

10:15 p.m.

Authorities say there is no more water going over the emergency spillway at a Northern California dam. Officials put out an evacuation order Sunday afternoon saying the spillway at Orville Dam could fail within an hour. At least 130,000 people in downstream areas have been asked to evacuate. Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said at a news conference late Sunday that the evacuation orders will stand until more information is analyzed.

8:30 p.m.

Traffic is gridlocked for miles around Lake Oroville as panicked and angry residents try to evacuate over concerns the Northern California dam's emergency spillway could fail. Kaysi Levias and her husband, Greg, stopped at a gas station as they attempted to flee. Greg Levias says he's shocked and pretty mad they didn't get more warning. Officials put out an evacuation order Sunday afternoon telling around 100,000 people the emergency spillway at Orville Dam could fail within an hour. Raj Gill is managing a Shell station where panicky motorists got gas and snacks while they wait for gridlocked traffic to clear. He says his boss told him to close the station and flee himself, but he stayed open to feed a steady line of customers.

8:00 p.m.

c3101614b2494e0e1613e2fb01fdc67a.png

Current Conditions | U.S Drought Portal

No drought at present indicated for Northern California. The history of California and atmospheric rivers is well known, the failure to take that into account when building the dam is an engineering failure. And what we see happening at present is the way most droughts in California end.
Atmospheric river? A narrow band of moisture in the atmosphere is responsible for the dam breaking? Not California failing to inspect and maintain the dam, or to build other dams? All those high priced consultants and politicians did have time to look at the "engineering failure" of a dam? "Most Droughts"? So now you admit drought are normal for California? Hence California is on average, dry? Hence in a region that is normally dry, we can not classify that area as being in drought? And since when do, "most droughts" in California end in dams breaking?

I have major issues with California's politics, but I will say that their emergency management systems have always been world class. I'm glad to see that since I left Sacramento (1998) that has remained true.

I thought it was awesome just because of the call. The only answer they could get when things would begin to go wrong was within an hour. Then they moved from there.

Although, listening to the scanner, there was a point when someone asked if Oroville dispatch was down. A few minutes later someone said yes. Someone said there was a man in a wheelchair that could not get out and gave the address. Some 20-30 minutes later someone asks for confirmation NorthCal had taken over Oroville dispatch. A minute or so and it is confirmed and the guy asks for their coordinator. I have to wonder if NorthCal took it over and told no one in Oroville.

LOL......only in California. State does everything wrong......now even paying bullions for energy they don't need!! So over the years when these occasional flood events happen up there, nobody figures out maybe some major modifications are necessary? Fucking duh.........what a God forsaken state. A shithole of the first order. Works for that idiot governor......of course is going to turn around in a few days and talk about global warming. A state of mental cases.:2up:

Forum List

Back