Zone1 Many Possible Messiahs

Hector12

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2023

Move Over, Genghis Khan. Many Other Men Left Huge Genetic Legacies​

The Smithsonian, June 24, 2024

A 2015 study showed that ten other men have a lot of descendants. The paper is just one of several genetic studies revealing the secrets of descent

Since a 2003 study found evidence that Genghis Khan’s DNA was present in about 16 million men alive at the time, the Mongolian ruler’s genetic prowess has stood as an unparalleled accomplishment. But he isn’t the only man whose reproductive activities still show a significant genetic impact centuries later. A 2015 study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics found that a handful of other men had prolific lineages, too.

To identify those lineages, the geneticists analyzed “the Y chromosomes of more than 5,000 men from 127 populations spanning Asia,” wrote Nature News’ Ewen Callaway in 2015. The Y chromosome is a part of the human genome handed down only from father to son. They found 11 Y-chromosome sequences that were each shared by more than 20 of the analyzed subjects. Chalk down one of those as Genghis Khan’s, and that leaves ten other men who initiated long-lived and widely spread family trees.

Move Over, Genghis Khan. Many Other Men Left Huge Genetic Legacies

------------

The word “Messiah” comes from a Hebrew word meaning “the anointed one.” Part of the coronation ceremony for an Israelite king was for his head to be anointed with olive oil. Thus, the king of the Israelites was the anointed one, or the Messiah.

The first great Messiah was King David. Under his leadership the Israelites conquered what is now Jordan and what is now Syria.

According to the Old Testament, AKA, the Jewish Bible, King David had many wives. His son Solomon had many more. Although the Old Testament account of Solomon’s wives and concubines exaggerates, we may be sure that Solomon had many sons.

In II Samuel 7:16 King David is told through his prophet Nathan, “And thy house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.” What this means is that the Messiah will be the son of the son of the son…all the way back to the son of David. If we could identify the Y chromosome of David, we would find that there are many potential Messiahs.

Jesus’ claim to be the Messiah is complicated by three factors.

First, Matthew 1:2-16 and Luke 3:23-38 trace David’s decedents to Joseph, not to Jesus, who the New Testament asserts is the son of God.

Second, Matthew 1:2-16 and Luke 1:23-38 give different lineages from David to Joseph.

Third, Matthew 1:20 and Luke 1:35 assert that Jesus is conceived by the Holy Ghost, rather than God the Father.

I am aware that in ages past drawing attention to these discrepancies would have earned me the hostile attention of the Inquisition in many countries, and probably a fiery ending.

I am a Christian who attends church regularly. So were many whom the Inquisition ordered to be burned at the stake.

I am also a non Fundamental Christian. I believe that the Bible was inspired by God, but not dictated by Him. These contradictions intrigue me but they do not disturb my faith.

A 2015 study showed that ten other men have a lot of descendants. The paper is just one of several genetic studies revealing the secrets of descent

Since a 2003 study found evidence that Genghis Khan’s DNA was present in about 16 million men alive at the time, the Mongolian ruler’s genetic prowess has stood as an unparalleled accomplishment. But he isn’t the only man whose reproductive activities still show a significant genetic impact centuries later. A 2015 study published in the European Journal of Human Genetics found that a handful of other men had prolific lineages, too.

To identify those lineages, the geneticists analyzed “the Y chromosomes of more than 5,000 men from 127 populations spanning Asia,” wrote Nature News’ Ewen Callaway in 2015. The Y chromosome is a part of the human genome handed down only from father to son. They found 11 Y-chromosome sequences that were each shared by more than 20 of the analyzed subjects. Chalk down one of those as Genghis Khan’s, and that leaves ten other men who initiated long-lived and widely spread family trees.

------------

The word “Messiah” comes from a Hebrew word meaning “the anointed one.” Part of the coronation ceremony for an Israelite king was for his head to be anointed with olive oil. Thus, the king of the Israelites was the anointed one, or the Messiah.

The first great Messiah was King David. Under his leadership the Israelites conquered what is now Jordan and what is now Syria.

According to the Old Testament, AKA, the Jewish Bible, King David had many wives. His son Solomon had many more. Although the Old Testament account of Solomon’s wives and concubines exaggerates, we may be sure that Solomon had many sons.

In II Samuel 7:16 King David is told through his prophet Nathan, “And thy house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.” What this means is that the Messiah will be the son of the son of the son…all the way back to the son of David. If we could identify the Y chromosome of David, we would find that there are many potential Messiahs.

First, Matthew 1:2-16 and Luke 3:23-38 trace David’s decedents to Joseph, not to Jesus, who the New Testament asserts is the son of God.

Second, Matthew 1:2-16 and Luke 1:23-38 give different lineages from David to Joseph.

Third, Matthew 1:20 and Luke 1:35 assert that Jesus is conceived by the Holy Ghost, rather than God the Father.

I am aware that in ages past drawing attention to these discrepancies would have earned me the hostile attention of the Inquisition in many countries, and probably a fiery ending.

I am a Christian who attends church regularly. So were many whom the Inquisition ordered to be burned at the stake.

I am also a non Fundamental Christian. I believe that the Bible was inspired by God, but not dictated by Him. These contradictions intrigue me but they do not disturb my faith.
The genealogy claim has been brought up and debunked so many times it is nauseating. Do some work on this on your own if you want to know why there are two lineages. And, by the way, if you become involved with genealogy, you will see that there may be others working on your ancestry lineage and that they may have differences than you as well. And, we have computers in which they did not back in ancient history.
Joseph was not Jesus's earthly father. Father in heaven is. Now, let's help you understand the mission of the Holy Ghost in the conception of Jesus Christ. It was through the workings of the Holy Ghost that the Father impregnated Mary. If you are unable to have children, your wife can be artificially inseminated by the workings of a skilled doctor. This is how the Holy Ghost helped conceive Jesus Christ. He was the doctor. It's so weird that in our days of in vitro fertilization being so common that people can't see how the Holy Ghost conceived Jesus or was the doctor impregnating the sperm of the Father into Mary.

The genealogy claim has been brought up and debunked so many times it is nauseating. Do some work on this on your own if you want to know why there are two lineages. And, by the way, if you become involved with genealogy, you will see that there may be others working on your ancestry lineage and that they may have differences than you as well. And, we have computers in which they did not back in ancient history.
Joseph was not Jesus's earthly father. Father in heaven is. Now, let's help you understand the mission of the Holy Ghost in the conception of Jesus Christ. It was through the workings of the Holy Ghost that the Father impregnated Mary. If you are unable to have children, your wife can be artificially inseminated by the workings of a skilled doctor. This is how the Holy Ghost helped conceive Jesus Christ. He was the doctor. It's so weird that in our days of in vitro fertilization being so common that people can't see how the Holy Ghost conceived Jesus or was the doctor impregnating the sperm of the Father into Mary.
These are the contradictory lineages from David to Joseph. Read then yourself.

Matthew 1:1-16

Mat 1:1 - The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:2 - Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:3 - And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:4 - And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:5 - And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:6 - And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:7 - And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:8 - And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:9 - And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:10 - And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:11 - And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:12 - And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:13 - And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:14 - And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:15 - And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:16 - And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Luke 3:23- 38

Luk 3:23 - And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:24 - Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:25 - Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:26 - Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:27 - Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:28 - Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:29 - Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:30 - Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:31 - Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:32 - Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:33 - Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:34 - Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:35 - Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:36 - Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:37 - Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 3:38 - Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

These are the contradictory lineages from David to Joseph. Read then yourself.

Matthew 1:1-16

Mat 1:1 - The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:2 - Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:3 - And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:4 - And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:5 - And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:6 - And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:7 - And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:8 - And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:9 - And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:10 - And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:11 - And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:12 - And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:13 - And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:14 - And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:15 - And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 1:16 - And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
Why do you keep repeating stuff when others put in front of you logical reasons for differences with genealogy? Have you worked on your genealogy? If you did, you would understand much of the difficulties involved. And, as I’ve said, stop looking at just anti-Christian stuff and look at the opposite so you can understand. People are so lazy!

Why do you keep repeating stuff when others put in front of you logical reasons for differences with genealogy? Have you worked on your genealogy? If you did, you would understand much of the difficulties involved. And, as I’ve said, stop looking at just anti-Christian stuff and look at the opposite so you can understand. People are so lazy!
I am quoting from the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. They are not "anti Christian stuff."

Those who claim that the Bible is "the inerrant word of God" have a difficult time explaining the contradictory lineages from David to Joseph that appear in the Gospel of St. Matthew and the Gospel of St, Luke. They have a difficult time explaining much else, but the contradictory lineages are what I am writing about now.

I am quoting from the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. They are not "anti Christian stuff."

Those who claim that the Bible is "the inerrant word of God" have a difficult time explaining the contradictory lineages from David to Joseph that appear in the Gospel of St. Matthew and the Gospel of St, Luke. They have a difficult time explaining much else, but the contradictory lineages are what I am writing about now.
They haven’t. It’s been explained. Seek it out. You will find why there are differences.

They haven’t. It’s been explained. Seek it out. You will find why there are differences.
Excuses have been made for it, but it has not been explained in ways that are consistent with the Bible being "the inerrant word of God."

------------

Gods will and word cannot be stopped. Its your lack of true knowledge that makes you twist things and cannot understand.

Gods will and word cannot be stopped. Its your lack of true knowledge that makes you twist things and cannot understand.
How does my "lack of true knowledge" enable me to find contradictions in the Bible? What you call “true knowledge” is nothing more than your willingness to ignore the obvious meaning of passages in the Bible.

Excuses have been made for it, but it has not been explained in ways that are consistent with the Bible being "the inerrant word of God."
It’s been perfectly explained. You just don’t want to accept and admit it. Look for it. It’s actually pretty simple. Not is it important to your salvation and exaltation. Just a distraction for you.

It’s been perfectly explained. You just don’t want to accept and admit it. Look for it. It’s actually pretty simple. Not is it important to your salvation and exaltation. Just a distraction for you.

Explain it in your own words. If you cannot do that there is no explanation, and the Bible has critical contradictions that prove that it cannot be "the inerrant word of God."

While I am writing about contradictions in the Bible, did you know that in Matthew, Mark, and Luke Jesus denies his divinity?

In Matthew 19:17 Jesus says, "And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God"

In Mark 10:18 Jesus says "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."

In Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God."

Here Jesus is saying, "I am not good because I am not God."

The divinity of Jesus is only stated in the Gospel According to St. John. Even in 14:28 Jesus says, "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

That violates the Doctrine of the Trinity, that holds that Jesus and God the Father are equal in power and might.

Explain it in your own words.

Explain it in your own words. If you cannot do that there is no explanation, and the Bible has critical contradictions that prove that it cannot be "the inerrant word of God."

While I am writing about contradictions in the Bible, did you know that in Matthew, Mark, and Luke Jesus denies his divinity?

In Matthew 19:17 Jesus says, "And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God"

In Mark 10:18 Jesus says "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."

In Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God."

Here Jesus is saying, "I am not good because I am not God."

The divinity of Jesus is only stated in the Gospel According to St. John. Even in 14:28 Jesus says, "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

That violates the Doctrine of the Trinity, that holds that Jesus and God the Father are equal in power and might.
I agree with the last statement. I believe the three are separate and distinct individual personages. There are three that make up the Godhead, but separate. They agree as one.
Jesus died sinless. It’s the only way it can be. The animal sacrifices were similitudes of the only begotten of the Father in the flesh.
Your thought about Matthew, Mark and Luke is of course false. Just read Matthew 16:13-20 and you see Matthew learned Jesus is divine, the Son of the Father. It’s in the others too.

You are so poorly read.
You are wrong again. Among many other books, I have read the Bible from cover to cover, including the Apocrypha, nine times in eight English translations. That is why I have such an easy time finding contradictions in the Bible.

You insult me because you cannot answer my simple question: how can a book with so many fundamental contradictions be "the inerrant word of God?"

Just read Matthew 16:13-20 and you see Matthew learned Jesus is divine, the Son of the Father. It’s in the others too.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:13 - When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:14 - And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:15 - He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:16 - And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:17 - And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:20 - Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

-----------

There is no assertion of Jesus' divinity here. To say that Jesus is the Christ is to say that he is the Messiah, foretold by the Old Testament Prophets. To say that Jesus is the Son of God, again does not assert his divinity.

In Greek mythology many Greek heroes were the son of a god or a goddess, but they were not gods.

How does my "lack of true knowledge" enable me to find contradictions in the Bible? What you call “true knowledge” is nothing more than your willingness to ignore the obvious meaning of passages in the Bible.
Few on earth know what the bible actually teaches. They must be taught by these-Matt 24:45, or they remain in darkness on much.

You are wrong again. Among many other books, I have read the Bible from cover to cover, including the Apocrypha, nine times in eight English translations. That is why I have such an easy time finding contradictions in the Bible.

You insult me because you cannot answer my simple question: how can a book with so many fundamental contradictions be "the inerrant word of God?"
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:13 - When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:14 - And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:15 - He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:16 - And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:17 - And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 16:20 - Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

-----------

There is no assertion of Jesus' divinity here. To say that Jesus is the Christ is to say that he is the Messiah, foretold by the Old Testament Prophets. To say that Jesus is the Son of God, again does not assert his divinity.

In Greek mythology many Greek heroes were the son of a god or a goddess, but they were not gods.
In verse 19 he gives the keys of the kingdom, the Priesthood, to Peter. He can't do that unless he is the Christ, one of the members of the Godhead or Trinity. Then, he tells Matthew and the other apostles that he is Jesus, THE CHRIST! CHRIST, the MESSIAH. Wake up!!!

Sorry it took so long. But, I have gone through this with many and have it saved. Just had to find it. Also, many other so-called contradictions I have answers to.

It is distinctly possible that Luke's account traces Jesus' lineage through Mary, and not Joseph. Some of the circumstantial evidence to support this is as follows:

(1) Luke's birth narrative is through the eyes of Mary, while Matthew's is through the eyes of Joseph. Thus, Luke could have received his material through Mary (or someone close), thus it is quite possible that he received her genealogy.

(2) Luke 3:23 reads, "Jesus...being supposedly the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, etc." Luke certainly draws attention to the fact that Jesus was not truly Joseph's son, so why would he then go to all the trouble in listing Joseph's genealogy?

(3) After considering the Greek of Luke 3:23, Robert Gromacki believes it should be translated as follows:

"being the son (as was supposed of Joseph) of Heli, of Matthat, etc."

Gromaki states: "Since women did not appear in direct genealogical listings, Joseph stood in Mary's place, but Luke was careful to note that there was no physical connection between Joseph and either Jesus or Heli."

(4) Luke's genealogy also lists Adam as "the son of God." This would indicate that one would have no grounds for insisting that the term "son" meant only the direct, biological offspring. Thus, one could think of Jesus as the "son of Heli."

(5) The writings of Ignatius of Antioch (ca. 100 AD) indicate that the early church thought that Mary was a Davidic descent. For example, he writes:

"Under the Divine dispensation, Jesus Christ our God was conceived by Mary of the seed of David and of the spirit of God; He was born, and He submitted to baptism, so that by His Passion He might sanctify water." -- Ignatius to the Ephesians

"Christ was of David's line. He was the son of Mary; He was verily and indeed born.." -- Ignatius to the Trallians

Since Ignatius believed in the virgin birth, it clearly follows that he would believe that she was "of the seed of David." Other apocryphal gospels and Justin Martyr (ca. 150 AD) also believed Mary to have been a descendent of David.

Objections to these claims are basically of two types:

A. The Jews did not typically trace genealogies through women.

Reply: This is true, but a virgin birth is not a typical birth. Thus standard practices would not be expected to hold.

B. There is no explicit mention that the genealogy is Mary's.

Reply: This is true again, but the reason for this is probably due to point A. The genealogy would lose all appeal if it was explicitly cited as Mary's. However, it does seem to be implied. Thus, one could discern this truth after they had converted and studied the text. This would account for the early church's belief about Mary's Davidic descent.

Whatever one makes of such reasoning, it is certainly possible that the above explanation might be true, thus a contradiction has not been proved.

Forum List

Back