Many Texas Schools Teach Creationism

ID and creationism are philosophical concepts, with great flaws, I think.

Evolution is scientific, with flaws as well.

Their "proof" values are different.

They belong in different classrooms.

What "flaws"? Name them.

dean, you are as closed minded as an atheist as koshergrl is as religionist.

We are not going to play "just once more."

Bible based teachings should be encouraged in ALL public schools.

Creation by a higher power makes more sense than anything else.

Not all of us Christians believe in the 6,000-8,000 years earth age belief. I believe in the "gap theory."

All religious scripture should be offered in the humanities classrooms in high schools, yes, but not as alternative to evolution.

The proof systems are different.

ID and creationism are philosophical concepts, with great flaws, I think.

Evolution is scientific, with flaws as well.

Their "proof" values are different.

They belong in different classrooms.

What "flaws"? Name them.

Close minded are those that insist "mysticism" and the "occult" have a place in science.

According to the Reading and Writing and Religion II a report by the Texas Freedom Network, many Texas children are being taught creationism including the myth that the earth is only 6,000 years old. So what do you think of this development? What should we do about it? Should creationism be taught in schools?

Edit:
I can't post a link right now because I don't have enough posts however a simple google search will provide you with enough sources.

And that hurts you how exactly?

Do you value science education? How can we be the best in science in the world if some of us teach kids myths and call it science?

First of all, you don't know that they are calling it science, second, it doesn't hurt real science, and third you didn't say how it hurts you exactly.

distraff, no one has shown that creationism is being taught in the science classroom, even as an alternative theory.

Not officially. However some schools in Texas teach creationist ideas. When I talk about creationism in the classroom I am responding to people who think it should be taught there.

And the teaching of creationism hurts you how, exactly?

Evolution is a theory based on observed facts. Creationism is a bending of the facts to fit a story. Intelligent design is a theory lacking of any real way to prove or disprove it.

I believe in God but I don't believe that Genesis was to be taken literally by anyone but our primitive ancestors. Can you imagine God trying to explain to the Isrealites wandering in the desert about DNA, mutations, Dinosaurs, etc.? Just like many parts of the Bible, it is meant to teach lessons on life and morality. Not to be taken as a history or science textbook in modern times.

I was taught both, yet it has in no way inhibited my education or evaluation of existence.
I teach my kids both also.
Truth be known, we don't really know which is factual.

The fact that you said we really don't know what is factual means that there is a chance that you were misinformed by your education. The theory of evolution is supported by mountains of evidence while creationism relies on arguments that have bee refuted decades ago. We don't want the same misinformation to happen to our children.

I was taught both, yet it has in no way inhibited my education or evaluation of existence.

The fact that you said we really don't know what is factual means that there is a chance that you were misinformed by your education. The theory of evolution is supported by mountains of evidence while creationism relies on arguments that have bee refuted decades ago. We don't want the same misinformation to happen to our children.

Actually you seem to have been misinformed by your education, those mountains of evidence you say support evolution have some pretty major valleys between them, aka gaps. Even Darwin had doubts about his theory by the time he died.

Do you value science education? How can we be the best in science in the world if some of us teach kids myths and call it science?

First of all, you don't know that they are calling it science, second, it doesn't hurt real science, and third you didn't say how it hurts you exactly.

When one teaches creationism anywhere in school, they are damaging science education by confusing children on what is or is not true about our origins.

distraff, no one has shown that creationism is being taught in the science classroom, even as an alternative theory.

Not officially. However some schools in Texas teach creationist ideas. When I talk about creationism in the classroom I am responding to people who think it should be taught there.

And the teaching of creationism hurts you how, exactly?

It is important that we raise a generation of good mathematicians, engineers, and scientists. Teaching kids myths and calling it science harms the science education of our children.

When one teaches creationism anywhere in school, they are damaging science education by confusing children on what is or is not true about our origins.

Your unfounded opinion.

‘Creationism’ is likely not being taught in Texas pubic schools, at least officially, that would be un-Constitutional. See: Edwards v. Aguillard (1987).

That you fail to understand why conjoining church and state in violation of the Constitution and Framers’ intent is harmful comes as no surprise.

Actually you seem to have been misinformed by your education, those mountains of evidence you say support evolution have some pretty major valleys between them, aka gaps. Even Darwin had doubts about his theory by the time he died.

The gaps in the fossil record are there not because of any weaknesses in the theory but because fossilization is rare. This is yet another myth that has already been refuted decades ago.

Another myth is the story about Darwin having doubts about his deathbed. However, even Answers in Genesis, and the Institute of Creationist Research and many other Christian organizations have denouced the story as a myth. Just do a google search on the story and you will find the truth everywhere.

Your unfounded opinion.

Confusing children about what is true or not is not something our professional educators should be doing.

You can't prove one invalidates the other is the point: the value systems are different, distraff.

Worse than that. They are teaching those children to mistrust education and the belief scientists have some "ulterior" motive. That's all the right wing teaches these days. Mistrust and lies and suspicion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any teacher who teaches from an atheistic or creationistic point of view only endangers the children.

Close minded are those that insist "mysticism" and the "occult" have a place in science.

Indeed. Evolution in the science classroom and creation stories in liberal arts or humanities.

If you are going to teach "magical creation" anywhere, then in all fairness, you should teach every belief. The Incas believed the Sun God touched an ear of corn and the first two people were "popped" into being. How is that any different than God shimmering the first person into being from a pile of dirt?

Forum List

Back