Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico on Weapons Charges for Bringing Guns Across Border

if you were wrongfully arrested in a foreign country
He wasn't wrongfully arrested, he drove into Mexico with guns in his truck.

He did not know he was in mexico...
The US is government is blowing this one big time.
That kid should have been released already.
The Obama admin sits on it's hands while this Decorated Soldier rots in a Mexican jail.
BTW, The mexican government moved him to a prison farther from the border.
That was a statement being made by the mexican government.
In retaliation we should close the border until the soldier is returned to the US.
There was clearly no intent involved. He should have been released after questioning by Mexican officials. For some reason, they want to make an example of this guy.

Very new to the area....just seems like you'd be looking and figuring it out even harder.

Don't misunderstand me....I love my jarhead step-brothers
:salute:

Jails are full of people that made stupid mistakes.

FrankenKerry is supposed to be lobbying in his behalf but, given the history of this admin's State Dept, I don't hold much hope

It just sounds like he had 'stuff' on his mind. Wasn't thinking about his driving.

'Stuff'--2 tours in Afghanistan--say no more. What does he do with himself now? Guilt--even--makes people crazy. Having had a brother---some men do feel that 'I should be able to handle this myself'---strange ways of dealing with this at times.

I'm inferring a lot from what his mother said----you might get a different picture.

Demons of some sort seemed to plague him.

Hope Kerry can do something---hope somebody can do something.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

TIJUANA, Mexico – A Marine veteran jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for allegedly bringing guns across the border said he never intended to leave the country but missed an exit when heading to meet friends in a border town.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, 25, said he was headed to dinner in San Ysidro on March 31 when he mistakenly wound up at a border crossing point in Tijuana, U-T San Diego reported Sunday.

"I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it," he told the newspaper in an interview from jail. "I wasn't paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around."

He said Mexican authorities found three guns inside the truck he had recently driven from Florida to make a new start in San Diego. He was jailed, and is now being held in Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary without bail.

Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter last week wrote a letter asking Secretary of State John Kerry to secure Tahmooressi's release. State Department officials said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico, but they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the person's permission.

Similar cases have occurred before. In 2008, an active-duty Army soldier was jailed in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, for driving into Mexico with guns, knives and ammunition. In 1999, a Marine was detained in Tijuana for two weeks after driving into Mexico with guns, the newspaper reported.

If Tahmooressi is convicted, he faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison, his lawyers said, adding that alternatively the case could be dropped if the Mexican attorney general's office in Mexico City requests dismissal.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?
Because the 2nd Amendment allows him that right.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back.
Bullshit, nobody forced him to cross a clearly marked international border. If had to pull his car over and ask the US CBP guys what to do then that is what you do, there isn't a "no turning back" scenario unless he's in one of those toyotas with the stuck accelerator.

cbsnews-com-mexican-border.jpg

It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit?
Nope, it wouldn't have happened to me.

He isn't getting 6 to 25 years for missing an exit, he's getting it for entering a country with prohibited firearms.
It depends on the specific border crossing. I recall at the Nogales border crossing, you have a series of turns, and then come upon the border unexpectedly. The warnings for guns and ammo come very suddenly, and you can't back up since there is traffic behind you.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back.
Bullshit, nobody forced him to cross a clearly marked international border. If had to pull his car over and ask the US CBP guys what to do then that is what you do, there isn't a "no turning back" scenario unless he's in one of those toyotas with the stuck accelerator.

cbsnews-com-mexican-border.jpg

It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit?
Nope, it wouldn't have happened to me.

He isn't getting 6 to 25 years for missing an exit, he's getting it for entering a country with prohibited firearms.
It depends on the specific border crossing. I recall at the Nogales border crossing, you have a series of turns, and then come upon the border unexpectedly. The warnings for guns and ammo come very suddenly, and you can't back up since there is traffic behind you.

I think that is what Greta said--maybe they showed a clip. I wasn't paying that much attention--upset at what I was hearing. It could have happened---driving along---mind elsewhere--it could have happened.

Maybe Obama might get involved if he sees this covered on news outlets.

And if he was black.

He wanted to turn around but Mexican police surrounded the vehicle? He needed to turn around... duh before he entered Mexico. I sympathize with the guy and maybe he forgot that he had a gun in the car and obviously there was no criminal intent on his part but I still don't buy his story.

Yeah he wanted to turn around. That was clearly explained when the brain damaged moron called 911 asking them to help with the Mexican police.There is clearly something wrong with the guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW8hnx3BbQ]911 Call by the Imprisoned Marine Corps Andrew Tahmooressi Before Mexican Police Arrest Him - YouTube[/ame]

Why in the world are we letting a soldier with PTSD drive around the country with weapons?

And if he's innocent why did he try to escape and then kill himself in jail?
Andrew Tahmooressi, Decorated U.S. Marine From Weston, Is Now Jailed in Mexico | New Times Broward-Palm Beach
PTSD does not disqualify one from owning weapons. Stress issues do not necessarily equate to having mental deficiencies. A court of law would need to determine that one is mentally unfit in order for the state to deny someone a carry permit.

As for why he tried to escape, if you were wrongfully arrested in a foreign country, and saw an opportunity to escape, wouldn't you consider it? I also don't buy that he tried to kill himself, it may have been an accident as he was in locked in solitary confinement at the time he allegedly stabbed himself.
Most criminals, dare I say all criminals, think they were unlawfully arrested.And yes, we should have laws taking guns away from those with mental disorders like PTSD.

Yes, definitely, people with PTSD should not be allowed to buy/own guns. That is a serious mental problem and could lead to suicide or the person attacking others. If we are not allowing people with other mental disorders to own guns, why are we allowing people with PSTD to do so? Makes no sense.

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?

Perhaps he planned to go target shooting or hunting. It doesn't matter.

Guns are just things. Why did he have a spare tire? Why did he have shoes? Why? Because they're his belongings and people often carry some of their belongings with them.

PTSD does not disqualify one from owning weapons. Stress issues do not necessarily equate to having mental deficiencies. A court of law would need to determine that one is mentally unfit in order for the state to deny someone a carry permit.

As for why he tried to escape, if you were wrongfully arrested in a foreign country, and saw an opportunity to escape, wouldn't you consider it? I also don't buy that he tried to kill himself, it may have been an accident as he was in locked in solitary confinement at the time he allegedly stabbed himself.
Most criminals, dare I say all criminals, think they were unlawfully arrested.And yes, we should have laws taking guns away from those with mental disorders like PTSD.

Yes, definitely, people with PTSD should not be allowed to buy/own guns. That is a serious mental problem and could lead to suicide or the person attacking others. If we are not allowing people with other mental disorders to own guns, why are we allowing people with PSTD to do so? Makes no sense.

Are mental issues the reason that so many Progressives don't have guns?

You don't believe that many of the men who fought under George Washington didn't suffer from post-war stress of some kind? Many endured some very difficult circumstances and were wounded in war yet the writers of the Constitution included the 2nd Amendment (without any qualifiers) in spite of their soldier's mental conditions.

If a person with a treatable mental condition doesn't have a 2nd Amendment right then should we strip him of his 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Amendment rights as well? If so, then you need to stop exercising your freedom of speech immediately.

One of the news networks made the drive and showed how easily anyone could have made the wrong turn that's not familiar with the area. From where he was, he turned north and it ends up being lanes you can't cross over, due to concrete barricades, to turn around when you realize you are headed into Mexico. Nothing you can do. Who would think turning north would lead you south?
Very new to the area....just seems like you'd be looking and figuring it out even harder.

Don't misunderstand me....I love my jarhead step-brothers
:salute:

Jails are full of people that made stupid mistakes.

FrankenKerry is supposed to be lobbying in his behalf but, given the history of this admin's State Dept, I don't hold much hope

It just sounds like he had 'stuff' on his mind. Wasn't thinking about his driving.

'Stuff'--2 tours in Afghanistan--say no more. What does he do with himself now? Guilt--even--makes people crazy. Having had a brother---some men do feel that 'I should be able to handle this myself'---strange ways of dealing with this at times.

I'm inferring a lot from what his mother said----you might get a different picture.

Demons of some sort seemed to plague him.

Hope Kerry can do something---hope somebody can do something.

Last edited:
He actually has a head injury, they believe, that was never diagnosed when his truck was hit by an ied.

Serious mental problem? Having nightmares that replay grissly scenes, jumping when a car backfires. Those are symptoms of ptsd, but do not make one dangerous.

Maybe Obama might get involved if he sees this covered on news outlets.

And if he was black.

He wanted to turn around but Mexican police surrounded the vehicle? He needed to turn around... duh before he entered Mexico. I sympathize with the guy and maybe he forgot that he had a gun in the car and obviously there was no criminal intent on his part but I still don't buy his story.

Yeah he wanted to turn around. That was clearly explained when the brain damaged moron called 911 asking them to help with the Mexican police.There is clearly something wrong with the guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW8hnx3BbQ]911 Call by the Imprisoned Marine Corps Andrew Tahmooressi Before Mexican Police Arrest Him - YouTube[/ame]

Do you consider yourself a "moron" for the many mistakes you've made. I can answer that for you if you like. :eusa_angel:

He actually has a head injury, they believe, that was never diagnosed when his truck was hit by an ied.

That is what I heard. His mother was so upset.

I think she actually said his Dad had been encouraging him to get an MRI or Xrays.

I am fuzzy on TBI---hard to diagnose, I think. And--???not a military person--since he is still on inactive duty--they just sent a letter that he was to report to FL for a meeting?--was he worrying that if he goes for Xrays and there is a problem --that will affect his career?

I feel safe in assuming he had things on his mind--wasn't focused on driving.

sigh--My brother--not in the military--but would not go to the doctor---just wouldn't---Stage 4 lung cancer. Some men are like that.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

TIJUANA, Mexico – A Marine veteran jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for allegedly bringing guns across the border said he never intended to leave the country but missed an exit when heading to meet friends in a border town.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, 25, said he was headed to dinner in San Ysidro on March 31 when he mistakenly wound up at a border crossing point in Tijuana, U-T San Diego reported Sunday.

"I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it," he told the newspaper in an interview from jail. "I wasn't paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around."

He said Mexican authorities found three guns inside the truck he had recently driven from Florida to make a new start in San Diego. He was jailed, and is now being held in Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary without bail.

Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter last week wrote a letter asking Secretary of State John Kerry to secure Tahmooressi's release. State Department officials said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico, but they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the person's permission.

Similar cases have occurred before. In 2008, an active-duty Army soldier was jailed in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, for driving into Mexico with guns, knives and ammunition. In 1999, a Marine was detained in Tijuana for two weeks after driving into Mexico with guns, the newspaper reported.

If Tahmooressi is convicted, he faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison, his lawyers said, adding that alternatively the case could be dropped if the Mexican attorney general's office in Mexico City requests dismissal.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

He was in the process of moving there from Fl and had all he owns in the truck box.

I think she actually said his Dad had been encouraging him to get an MRI or Xrays.

I am fuzzy on TBI---hard to diagnose, I think. And--???not a military person--since he is still on inactive duty--they just sent a letter that he was to report to FL for a meeting?--was he worrying that if he goes for Xrays and there is a problem --that will affect his career?

sigh--My brother--not in the military--but would not go to the doctor---just wouldn't---Stage 4 lung cancer. Some men are like that.

My understanding is he had left FL where his parents lived to report to San Diego, and was going to try to be treated for his ptsd there. They said he was fuzzy sometimes (not dangerous fuzzy) and encouraged him to also ask about his head injury, as he was struck in the back of the head when his truck was hit by the ied.

Last edited:
Of course it has never occurred to anyone that the guy might actually be guilty, eh?

Does the fact that he's a MARINE have anything to do with that?

Because, just in case you are unaware of this?

Some Marines DO commit crimes, ya know?

A guy in my Unit at CAMPPEN went to prison for smuggling illegals around the Interstate 5 Bordercheck by bringing them through Camp Pendleton.

My understanding is he had left FL where his parents lived to report to San Diego, and was going to try to be treated for his ptsd there. They said he was fuzzy sometimes (not dangerous fuzzy) and encouraged him to also ask about his head injury, as he was struck in the back of the head when his truck was hit by the ied.

I think we are on the same page. Good to keep a few facts straight--anytime.

Poor guy--I really hope something can be done.

Greta--I like her --said to his mother--'What would have happened to him if he didn't have a mother like you?'--I think I started crying after that.

Of course it has never occurred to anyone that the guy might actually be guilty, eh?

Does the fact that he's a MARINE have anything to do with that?

Because, just in case you are unaware of this?

Some Marines DO commit crimes, ya know?

A guy in my Unit at CAMPPEN went to prison for smuggling illegals around the Interstate 5 Bordercheck by bringing them through Camp Pendleton.

"Guilty" of what? What crime did he commit? Making a wrong turn?

Forum List

Back