🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Maryland lawmakers pass bill forcing teachers to pay union fees

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Maryland lawmakers pass bill forcing teachers to pay union fees, reversing right to work trend

Maryland lawmakers agreed this week to require public school teachers to pay union fees – a move that bolsters the state’s connection to organized labor as others move toward a right-to-work status.

The bill passed Thursday in the General Assembly and is headed to the desk of Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley for signing after Monday, the final day of Maryland’s 2013 legislative session.

The bill is also part of a larger progressive agenda put fourth this year by leaders of the Democrat-controlled Assembly that includes the approval of tax increases and one of the toughest gun-control proposals in the country.

State Sen. David Brinkley calls the fees a “forced tax” and disagrees with union claims that representation will benefit every teacher.

“If the representation is so exceptional, then everybody would join,” he said. “I just don’t buy it. It’s a political payback that has nothing substantial to do with the merits of education.”

The bill will require tens of thousands of public school teachers to pay close to 1 percent of their paychecks in so-called “fair share” fees to cover the cost of contract negotiations and grievance representation.

Union leaders say the legislation attempts to create uniformity across Maryland and that non-union workers should share the cost.

Read more: Maryland lawmakers pass bill forcing teachers to pay union fees, reversing right to work trend | Fox News

What do you expect from a liberal hell hole that just in the past 6 months has:

passed the strictest gun laws in the country

passed same sex marriage

outlawed the death penalty

MD is a liberal hell hole with high taxation, high crimes, and virtually no personal freedoms unless it involves inserting penises into anuses.

Maryland lawmakers pass bill forcing teachers to pay union fees, reversing right to work trend

Maryland lawmakers agreed this week to require public school teachers to pay union fees – a move that bolsters the state’s connection to organized labor as others move toward a right-to-work status.

The bill passed Thursday in the General Assembly and is headed to the desk of Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley for signing after Monday, the final day of Maryland’s 2013 legislative session.

The bill is also part of a larger progressive agenda put fourth this year by leaders of the Democrat-controlled Assembly that includes the approval of tax increases and one of the toughest gun-control proposals in the country.

State Sen. David Brinkley calls the fees a “forced tax” and disagrees with union claims that representation will benefit every teacher.

“If the representation is so exceptional, then everybody would join,” he said. “I just don’t buy it. It’s a political payback that has nothing substantial to do with the merits of education.”

The bill will require tens of thousands of public school teachers to pay close to 1 percent of their paychecks in so-called “fair share” fees to cover the cost of contract negotiations and grievance representation.

Union leaders say the legislation attempts to create uniformity across Maryland and that non-union workers should share the cost.

Read more: Maryland lawmakers pass bill forcing teachers to pay union fees, reversing right to work trend | Fox News

1% is nothing. Unions protect people. I wouldn't have any problem with this, and they are also proposing tough gun control laws. Good for them.

1% is nothing. Unions protect people. I wouldn't have any problem with this, and they are also proposing tough gun control laws. Good for them.

So if I required you to join the NRA and give 1% of your income to them, you'd have no problem with it, right, because you're not a hypocrite, right?

So if I required you to join the NRA and give 1% of your income to them, you'd have no problem with it, right, because you're not a hypocrite, right?

The problem is you people don't know how to think. You don't know how to think logically. You don't know what a logical premise is, There is no connection between unions and the NRA. You are trying, pathetically, to make an analogy, and it is a glaringly obvious FALSE analogy. You're just fucking pathetic.

How is forcing people to do something they would otherwise not want to do "protecting" them? Isn't that the kind of tactics the unions supposedly protect against?

How is the assumption of the senator that this is just a “forced tax” and the representation in question would not benefit every teacher...false?

So, I take it no one is supposed to protect the people from the unions?

Last edited:
You're a liberal moron who refuses to answer the question. If the state can force you to join an union, then why can't it force you to join the NRA?

You're a liberal moron who refuses to answer the question. If the state can force you to join an union, then why can't it force you to join the NRA?

Obviously because it is a progressive agenda item and the NRA is not ;)

Last edited:

Obviously because it is a progressive aganda item and the NRA is not ;)

There is no logical comparison between an organization like the NRA and a worker's union. They have completely different purposes. I really find it pathetic that you people think you are making an intelligent point: you have no point. One thing is not the other. The only thing they have in common is that people join them. That would mean any kind of organization you join is comparable, like a football club or a gym or the ladies' auxillary, anything even though it has completely different reasons for existing. It's ludicrous to try to make a comparison. You're so wound up in your two dimensional world of liberal versus conservative that nothing else exists for you. As well, as I said before, none seem to know what reasoning and logic are or how they work.

Last edited:

Obviously because it is a progressive aganda item and the NRA is not ;)

There is no logical comparison between an organization like the NRA and a worker's union. They have completely different purposes. I really find it pathetic that you people think you are making an intelligent point: you have no point. One thing is not the other. The only thing they have in common is that people join them. That would mean any kind of organization you join is comparable, like a football club or a gym or the ladies' auxillary, anything even though it has completely different reasons for existing. It's ludicrous to try to make a comparison. You're so wound up in your two dimensional world of liberal versus conservative that nothing else exists for you. As well, as I said before, none seem to know what reasoning and logic are or how they work.

Blah Blah Blah. So, you have no intention of addressing the topic. Thought not.:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back