Massachusetts Electric Rates Shoot Up 37 Percent

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
well you voted for it so thank the likes of Joe Kennedy and Lizzy Warren they care more for the middle CLASS, don't they?

SNIP:
BOSTON (AP) — Many Massachusetts households are going to see their electric bills shoot up 37 percent this winter.
State regulators have approved a 37 percent increase for National Grid household customers that would mean an average of $33 per month more for the typical residential customer. Large business customers will see even higher increases.
National Grid has almost 1.3 million electric customers in Massachusetts.

ALL of it here:
Massachusetts electric rates shoot up 37 percent - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

100 Comments
Hide

Last edited:
The utility says the rate hikes are out of its control, and blame them on the cost of buying electricity from power plants, which have soared because of an increased demand for natural gas used to generate electricity

Fucking Liz Warren

Let's start with this..... At the same time last year the rates went up about 27%. The rates go up and down based on something called Supply Cost in November and April every year. This is related to the higher costs at generation facilities over the winter.

With that being said, National Grid's 37% increase is insane. I say that not only as a NGRID customer but as an employee of the company. This is what you get when a foreign company with no interest in its customers is allowed to control a utility company.

I would also suggest that thus is a means to "punish" customers for the MILLIONS of dollars in fines NGRID has been hit with (impacting profits) over the last 2 years.

I miss Massachusetts and then I don't miss Massachusetts.

Let's start with this..... At the same time last year the rates went up about 27%. The rates go up and down based on something called Supply Cost in November and April every year. This is related to the higher costs at generation facilities over the winter.

With that being said, National Grid's 37% increase is insane. I say that not only as a NGRID customer but as an employee of the company. This is what you get when a foreign company with no interest in its customers is allowed to control a utility company.

I would also suggest that thus is a means to "punish" customers for the MILLIONS of dollars in fines NGRID has been hit with (impacting profits) over the last 2 years.
The inherent problem with government enforced monopolies.

The inherent problem with government enforced monopolies.

In the electric utility industry there really isn't another option. Our facilities are much more extensive than cable or tell companies. Multiple companies can't use the same lines. What we need are smaller companies rather than conglomerates and the return of the ability for companies to own Generation, Transmission AND Distribution networks together. That time has come and gone in thus country.

The utility says the rate hikes are out of its control, and blame them on the cost of buying electricity from power plants, which have soared because of an increased demand for natural gas used to generate electricity

Fucking Liz Warren

You mean their rates are going up because the EPA is forcing utilities to shut down perfectly good coal fired power plants.

They closed the 3 Coal Burners in the state and replaced them.

That isn't free.

Yep, the cost of throwing $3 billion in infrastructure onto the scrap heap is going to come out of their pockets. They should think about that the next time some politician promises them he's going to stop sea level from rising.

Forum List

Back