Massive Russian offensive begins, capturing major roads, rails, and defensive positions.

Speaking of tanks. And tank crews.
Today's WaPo has interesting reportage on one of the reasons we see so many killed Russian tanks.
It's a design flaw.
That is a 'flaw' if one values tankers more than tanks.
It's a long-understood weakness of the T-series. Ukraine is using them too, so it's even on that count.

Yes, the crew is sitting on top of the carousel, and when it goes, they are along for the ride.

When Lt. Gen Mark Hertling was commander USAREUR, he was shown a T-72 by his Russian counterpart. The Russian General told him "You are lucky, you are the first American to see a T-72 up close".

Hertling replied "Oh I saw a lot of T-72's in Iraq- this is just the first time I've seen one with the turret attached." :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:
I highly doubt that Putin would look for any justification to use his troops and proxies from Transnistria. So, a false flag from their part doesn't make much sense, does it?
Have you seen the videos of the RPG on the KGB bldg in Tiraspol?

Those guys are complete amateurs.

No, I hadn't seen it before. They seem to be amateurs. Don't get what that can prove, though.
I'm not calling it proof, just incongruous to a Ukrainian provocation. Ukrainians are better operators than that, by a lot...

It looked like 2 of the 3 rounds were duds (old stock), and the one guy just about took the head off his buddy who ran right in front of him.

Also these were RPG-27's, which are only used by Russia (not that that is decisive either, but it's another data point).

Last edited:
I'm not calling it proof, just incongruous to a Ukrainian provocation. Ukrainians are better operators than that, by a lot...

It looked like 2 of the 3 rounds were duds (old stock), and the one guy just about took the head off his buddy who ran right in front of him.

Also these were RPG-27's, which are only used by Russia (not that that is decisive either, but it's another data point).
That may well be a Russian provocation. The time will show. I think much depends on how Russian offence in Donbas will end up. It seems that after 2-3 weeks are passed, it will be possible to draw some first conclusions.

Forum List

Back