McClintock Killed By Taliban, But Only After Administration Failed To Save Him

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Congressman Ryan Zinke represents the State of Montana. Zinke is a decorated Navy SEAL veteran, who was first assigned to SEAL Team One in 1985 and later moved up the ranks and served as the Ground Force Commander at SEAL Team Six. Recognized for his leadership, Zinke was appointed acting Commander of Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Arabian Peninsula where he led a force of over 3,500 Special Operations personnel in Iraq. Zinke retired from active duty after 23 years as a SEAL, and in 2014 was elected as the first SEAL in the House of Representatives.

On January 5, 2016, America lost an elite Special Forces soldier when the White House turned their back on him and his unit. Army Green Beret Sergeant First Class Matthew McClintock lost his life, and two others were wounded, when his unit came under Taliban fire in a compound in Marjah, Afghanistan. After the unit was pinned down by enemy combatants, reports say the ground commander requested support from a circling AC-130 gunship.

Due to the Obama administration’s fear of collateral damage, the gunship was initially waived off. The “quick” reaction force (QRF) was also delayed by hours. Although one of his fellow soldiers was able to keep him alive through the night, by the time the QRF and Medevac arrived about twelve hours later, it was too late. SFC McClintock died in the helicopter. The Taliban may have killed SFC McClintock, but the White House failed to save him.

It’s unthinkable that situations like this – where our troops are left defenseless and told not to return fire – happen at all. Even more disturbing, under this administration, these situations are the new reality. Rules of engagement matter. For SFC McClintock, it could have made the difference between life and death.

For the past several years, the White House has been forcing our troops to fight a war with their hands tied behind their backs. Troops are told they must have certainty that an individual is a combatant -- apparently a known Taliban fighter pointing a weapon at them does not qualify.

Our pilots are told to hold their fire until the U.S. gains permission from foreign governments to strike; and even the president’s 2015 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) was a list of options he would not consider, rather than a path to victory.

Overly restrictive rules of engagement put our troops in danger and allow our enemy to hide in plain sight.

I served 23 years as a U.S. Navy SEAL. I commanded some of the finest teams on the face of the planet and led 3,500 operators as the acting Commander of Joint Special Forces in Iraq. Part of the reason we were able to secure Fallujah, Ramadi and other areas is because our troops had the right rules of engagement.

We have seen a level of armchair quarterbacking from this administration that is unprecedented and has led to needless loss of life in Marjah and Benghazi. Micromanagement by the White House will have lasting impacts on our fighting force if it is not reversed quickly.

I’m no longer in the military, but I’m on the front lines in Congress. I’ve continually pressed for Congressional hearings into what happened in Marjah. I’ve grilled senior DoD officials on the impact overly-restrictive rules of engagement can have on the battlefield. This is my new mission.

We owe it to our military men and women, people like SFC McClintock, to change course and make sure our troops have the right tools, resources, force package, and rules of engagement to win -- and win decisively -- on the field of battle. It’s the least we can do.

Congressman Ryan Zinke represents the State of Montana. Zinke is a decorated Navy SEAL veteran, who was first assigned to SEAL Team One in 1985 and later moved up the ranks and served as the Ground Force Commander at SEAL Team Six. Recognized for his leadership, Zinke was appointed acting Commander of Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Arabian Peninsula where he led a force of over 3,500 Special Operations personnel in Iraq. Zinke retired from active duty after 23 years as a SEAL, and in 2014 was elected as the first SEAL in the House of Representatives.

On January 5, 2016, America lost an elite Special Forces soldier when the White House turned their back on him and his unit. Army Green Beret Sergeant First Class Matthew McClintock lost his life, and two others were wounded, when his unit came under Taliban fire in a compound in Marjah, Afghanistan. After the unit was pinned down by enemy combatants, reports say the ground commander requested support from a circling AC-130 gunship.

Due to the Obama administration’s fear of collateral damage, the gunship was initially waived off. The “quick” reaction force (QRF) was also delayed by hours. Although one of his fellow soldiers was able to keep him alive through the night, by the time the QRF and Medevac arrived about twelve hours later, it was too late. SFC McClintock died in the helicopter. The Taliban may have killed SFC McClintock, but the White House failed to save him.

It’s unthinkable that situations like this – where our troops are left defenseless and told not to return fire – happen at all. Even more disturbing, under this administration, these situations are the new reality. Rules of engagement matter. For SFC McClintock, it could have made the difference between life and death.

For the past several years, the White House has been forcing our troops to fight a war with their hands tied behind their backs. Troops are told they must have certainty that an individual is a combatant -- apparently a known Taliban fighter pointing a weapon at them does not qualify.

Our pilots are told to hold their fire until the U.S. gains permission from foreign governments to strike; and even the president’s 2015 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) was a list of options he would not consider, rather than a path to victory.

Overly restrictive rules of engagement put our troops in danger and allow our enemy to hide in plain sight.

I served 23 years as a U.S. Navy SEAL. I commanded some of the finest teams on the face of the planet and led 3,500 operators as the acting Commander of Joint Special Forces in Iraq. Part of the reason we were able to secure Fallujah, Ramadi and other areas is because our troops had the right rules of engagement.

We have seen a level of armchair quarterbacking from this administration that is unprecedented and has led to needless loss of life in Marjah and Benghazi. Micromanagement by the White House will have lasting impacts on our fighting force if it is not reversed quickly.

I’m no longer in the military, but I’m on the front lines in Congress. I’ve continually pressed for Congressional hearings into what happened in Marjah. I’ve grilled senior DoD officials on the impact overly-restrictive rules of engagement can have on the battlefield. This is my new mission.

We owe it to our military men and women, people like SFC McClintock, to change course and make sure our troops have the right tools, resources, force package, and rules of engagement to win -- and win decisively -- on the field of battle. It’s the least we can do.
Tragic. But what can we expect when the JCS has their hands tied and everything is micro managed from the Oval Office. Truman started this fiasco, Johnson perfected it in Vietnam and Obama is an apt student who thinks he's a military genius.

Taliban control Khan Abad district in Afghanistan...
icon_omg.gif

Afghan District Falls to Taliban: Officials
Aug 20, 2016 - Khan Abad district fell to the Taliban after the militants launched a pre-dawn attack on the district's center.
Taliban militants on Saturday captured a district in northeastern Kunduz province, near the provincial capital where militants scored their biggest victory in 14 years last September. The militants, waging a bloody insurgency to topple the Western-backed Kabul government, have intensified their attacks nationwide and tightened their grip on the besieged capital of Helmand province southwest of Kunduz in recent weeks.

Khan Abad district, which is about 30 kilometers east of Kunduz city, fell to Taliban after the militants launched a pre-dawn attack on the district center, according to local officials. "After several hours of fighting the militants overran the district," the district's governor Hayatullah Amiri told AFP, adding that the provincial governor ignored their calls for reinforcements.

des-forces-de-lordre-afghanes-prparent-une-opration-contre-les-ts600.jpeg

Afghan forces prepare to operate against the Taliban in the Aliabad district, Kunduz Province​

Provincial spokesman Sayed Mahmood Danish confirmed the overnight battle, and said security forces were "trying to get back control of the district from the Taliban". Khan Abad resident Abdul Satar told AFP hundreds had fled their homes amid the fighting. "The residents of the city are worried about their lives and safety. People are fleeing their homes and they have left their shops," he said, adding that roads to neighboring provinces were closed.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed in a statement that the group's fighters were in control of district and police headquarters. The Taliban briefly captured northern Kunduz city in September last year, the first city to fall to the insurgents in their biggest victory in 14 years of war. The militants were driven out almost two weeks later by Afghan forces backed by U.S. aircraft and NATO soldiers, but it marked the first time since 2001 that the Taliban were able to take control of a major city in the country. But U.S. and Afghan officials insist that they will not allow another urban center to be captured after Kunduz was briefly overrun last year.

Afghan District Falls to Taliban: Officials | Military.com

See also:

Breakaway Taliban Faction Names New Leader in Afghanistan
Aug 16, 2016 — A breakaway Taliban faction in Afghanistan has appointed a new leader for the group, the nephew of the faction's leader who was killed last year.
The development was announced in a video, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It says that Mullah Emdadullah Mansoor was named leader of the faction known as Mahaaz-e-Dadullah at a gathering on Monday in southern Zabul province. The meeting was attended by tribal and religious leaders, as well as the group's local commanders.

mullah-mansoor-face-600-23-may-2016.jpeg

Aug. 1, 2015 file photo shows Taliban leader Mullah Mansour.​

The video shows Mansoor accepting the leadership position among a crowd of gunmen. He is the nephew of Mullah Mansoor Dadullah who was killed in Khak-e-Afghan district of Zabul last year, fighting with rival Taliban. Mansoor promised to "fight foreign forces" and exact revenge for the group's slain leader.

Breakaway Taliban Faction Names New Leader in Afghanistan | Military.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back