McDonald's unveils first automated location, social media worried it will cut 'millions' of jobs

Fast food service is going the way of agricultural jobs. They are becoming mechanized. The scab is being torn off the myth of the need for low skilled labor. Mass deportations will have to happen or let these vertebrates die in the streets.

There is an amusing aspect to this. We told them that the demand for higher wages would result in replacement by machines.
Become a vending machine repairman.

And you have been told that automating all the jobs will lead to a Universal Basic Income.

And you have been told that automating all the jobs will lead to a Universal Basic Income.
It doesn't have to. Cloward Piven doesn't have to be implemented. Jobs are not a welfare program. No one kept the buggy whip factory open to give jobs to experienced buggy whip makers.

It doesn't have to. Cloward Piven doesn't have to be implemented. Jobs are not a welfare program. No one kept the buggy whip factory open to give jobs to experienced buggy whip makers.

We didn't believe in exporting jobs back then to increase shareholder value.

What is old is new again. ;)

hth-automat-2.jpg

3.jpg

Sooner or later we will run out of jobs to replace jobs that have been done away with.

Interesting. A walk in vending machine.

I wonder where people will get the money to buy anything without a job?

I wonder how many other businesses will now lose money, because no vending machines are walking through the doors to buy anything?

Maybe they will make a television show where we can watch automated vending machines, buy stuff from other automated vending machines.

I mean, those that will have any resources to buy a television to watch.

Hey, maybe we can get rid of all of the jobs making televisions, and there will be a show about automated machines making televisions, so other automated vending machines can watch television shows about automated vending machines making televisions.

You should have thought of that before you demanded high wages for low wage people.

Looks like you will have to go on the welfare dime.

Sooner or later we will run out of jobs to replace jobs that have been done away with.
Learn to code.

Actually, that's not going to happen. As we become more technologically advanced, it will simply require a more advanced and educated workforce.

When America was growing we took the best of what the best had to offer. We advanced and we prospered. We are not taking the best of anything. We are taking the worst. We are taking the least educated and least skilled. Then fashioning a society around what little they produce. This cannot be advancement in any form.

Learn to code.

I have a job already, thanks.

Actually, that's not going to happen. As we become more technologically advanced, it will simply require a more advanced and educated workforce.

And fewer actual bodies. How many people does it take to run a McDonalds compare to how many people it takes to fix a robot that breaks?

When America was growing we took the best of what the best had to offer. We advanced and we prospered. We are not taking the best of anything.

We took anything that could make it to our shores.

Advancements in technology causing people to lose jobs is something that we have stressed out about ever since someone hooked a draught animal to a plow and eliminated this job:

1671987955543.png

Here is how it works when the market is relatively free:

Technology increases production by producing more with less labor. That does not make the labor unneeded. It allows labor freed up to be redirected (by natural market forces) to something else.

Thus, former plow pullers could become plow makers, and use their new tool making skills to make other items as well, to trade for then now more abundent food. The now more productive farmers could use food as payment for all kinds of services, not just plow pulling. The farmer will do that, because the alternative would be to grow far more food than he could eat and watch it rot.

People invented entirely new jobs, such as well digger, carpenter, wagonwright, cooper, jeweller, and entertainer. All in exchange for the abundent food brought by the new technology of animal powered plowing. At some point those exchanges of labor for good were made easier by the use of some kind of money.

Once in a while, there would be that guy who wasn't good for anything but plowing. What happened to him? He either died, or he was provided food by generous tribe mates. But stone-aged farmers were not dumb enough to give him money to do nothing, and the stone age women were not dumb enough to want to have his babies so that they could get free money also.

Fast forward to the modern world and what do people put out of work by technology do if no one is hiring? In my area, they hustle. They clean headlights, they fix cracked windshields, they power wash driveways and houses, they mow lawns, they collect scrap metal, they walk people's dogs, they give guitar lessons. Their labor benefits themselves and those who pay for it.

That labor was freed up by automation. No need to panic and turn Luddite just yet, folks.

Advancements in technology causing people to lose jobs is something that we have stressed out about ever since someone hooked a draught animal to a plow and eliminated this job:

View attachment 741999

Here is how it works when the market is relatively free:

Technology increases production by producing more with less labor. That does not make the labor unneeded. It allows labor freed up to be redirected (by natural market forces) to something else.

That something else gets shipped off to someone who will do it for less. You keep on ignoring this for theories.

Thus, former plow pullers could become plow makers, and use their new tool making skills to make other items as well, to trade for then now more abundent food. The now more productive farmers could use food as payment for all kinds of services, not just plow pulling. The farmer will do that, because the alternative would be to grow far more food than he could eat and watch it rot.

People invented entirely new jobs, such as well digger, carpenter, wagonwright, cooper, jeweller, and entertainer. All in exchange for the abundent food brought by the new technology of animal powered plowing. At some point those exchanges of labor for good were made easier by the use of some kind of money.

Once in a while, there would be that guy who wasn't good for anything but plowing. What happened to him? He either died, or he was provided food by generous tribe mates. But stone-aged farmers were not dumb enough to give him money to do nothing, and the stone age women were not dumb enough to want to have his babies so that they could get free money also.

Fast forward to the modern world and what do people put out of work by technology do if no one is hiring? In my area, they hustle. They clean headlights, they fix cracked windshields, they power wash driveways and houses, they mow lawns, they collect scrap metal, they walk people's dogs, they give guitar lessons. Their labor benefits themselves and those who pay for it.

That labor was freed up by automation. No need to panic and turn Luddite just yet, folks.

It's not a good idea to wait until a problem is a big problem before addressing it.

There are still bodies preparing the food just like in the Automat days, you just don't interact with them.

Popeyes should follow suit. ;)
I agree, completely. Except for one.

For whatever reason, workers at Popeyes seem to have a surly attitude about customer service. I don't expect smiling eager service like at a restaurant where servers work for tips, but courtesy towards paying customers is a minimim, I think. Besides, if that is the servers' attitudes toward service, what is the cleaners and cooks attitude toward their jobs?

But, there is one on Southmore Avenue in Pasadena, Texas. It it run by Latinos who call themselves "Mexicans," and they give respectful service, clean location, and they add a little spice to the spicy chicken that makes it awesome.

That something else gets shipped off to someone who will do it for less. You keep on ignoring this for theories.
Then it would behoove those who want to work to also do it for less.

Of learn skills that will be worth more.
It's not a good idea to wait until a problem is a big problem before addressing it.
How would you address it? Ban technological advancement?

There are still bodies preparing the food just like in the Automat days, you just don't interact with them
At least it will hopefully reduce the number of errors at the order-taking end of things. With the reduction in staff, hopefully they can maintain the staff who can comprehend what “no pickles, no onions, no mustard” means.

I agree, completely. Except for one.

For whatever reason, workers at Popeyes seem to have a surly attitude about customer service. I don't expect smiling eager service like at a restaurant where servers work for tips, but courtesy towards paying customers is a minimim, I think. Besides, if that is the servers' attitudes toward service, what is the cleaners and cooks attitude toward their jobs?

But, there is one on Southmore Avenue in Pasadena, Texas. It it run by Latinos who call themselves "Mexicans," and they give respectful service, clean location, and they add a little spice to the spicy chicken that makes it awesome.
Ours is run by Pakis....They run a very tight ship but I'm about half skeered of the owner's wife. ;)

LOL.....They are my neighbors and one evening I suggested to the owner that he should try to buy-out the local KFC franchise and get it in order.....That place is a cluster-fuck of messed-up orders and surly service.....His wife yelled-out something in Paki and he got quiet. :laughing0301:

One can not pay $1200 rent making $3.00 an hour.
Then "one" should team up with co-workers to be roomates.
The jobs that one used to move up to are now in Asian countries.
You don't always get to move up. If you're keen for the government to raise the minimum wage as your only way of ever earning more, you aren't on the fast track up the ladder to begin with.

Again, what is your solution?

Forum List

Back