Memorial Day Ain't What It Used To Be

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Decades ago, when I was a kid (1950s), Memorial Day was a very big deal. Not just to people who’ve lost family members in a war. Observances were held in schoolyards grounds, cemetaries, at veteran organizations, in public parks, etc.

Now it’s rare to find these. It used to be when the words “Memorial Day Event” showed up on your TV screen, it was about one of those things, Nowadays, it refers to a sale on furniture. When I used to walk down my street in New York City, the whole street was ablaze with red, white, and blue. Flags flying from hundreds of windows. Now there’s not a single one – except in my apartment complex, where I put out a couple of dozen.

Kudos to MLB teams who were wearing Army green and camaflouge trim, to honor the fallen heros of past wars. Maybe the reason there was so much more fervor back in the 50’s is because it was right after World War II and Korea, and there were so many more lives lost, than in the recent wars.

Maybe it's because the endless wars we wage now are for profit, for the furtherance of empire and for the enrichment of Wall Street and the "job creator" class.

Maybe it's because the endless wars we wage now are for profit, for the furtherance of empire and for the enrichment of Wall Street and the "job creator" class.
Since you have no idea of what you're talking about here, you ought to find some other endevour. Table tennis maybe ?

Still done some places. I was at a Memorial Day gathering at a local cemetery with band, speaker, 21 gun salute and the whole enchilada. Was a great remembrance.

Decades ago, when I was a kid (1950s), Memorial Day was a very big deal. Not just to people who’ve lost family members in a war. Observances were held in schoolyards grounds, cemetaries, at veteran organizations, in public parks, etc.
How many areas still have school going? The last day in my county was two weeks ago.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back