Mental Attitude - Proverbs 23: 7

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Here are some notes taken from my listening to a Katherine Kuhlman audio sermon entitled, Mental Attitude. Katherine has taught so many valuable lessons and in this particular lesson you are bound to receive the truth that will set you free. You can listen to the entire sermon on the link below. May it bless every single person who listens. The LORD certainly loves each and everyone one of us! Christ is love.

It is written:

As a man thinketh in his heart so is he.......

- Proverbs 23: 7

Every human being has a desire for a warm response, to be treated kindly, every human being has a desire to be loved, to be understood. This is a most natural desire for every human being. How does one attain this desire?

It must begin in one's own mind. When we begin to pour out love, to pour out kindness, we begin to receive it. The attitude of a man reveals what is inside his heart. When you encounter someone who is mean, suspicious, vindictive, whose attitude is mean spirited and hurtful, you are seeing inside the heart of that man. You can be certain that the atttitude he uses, the measure by which he treats people badly is only a reflection of what he is.

For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.........

Do not despair, beloved, when people are vindictive towards you, are mean to you, revile you, pour out hateful responses towards you. Their treatment of you is a personal punishment upon themselves. They are revealing the wickedness of their own hearts without realizing it.

You can make a fairly good evaluation of someone by how they treat others.

Each of us attracts the kind of life we represent. This is truth and it is an excellent study on the mental attitude which is directly tied to what is hidden in our hearts.

Have you been born again, Beloved? The new birth experience ( John 3:16, Romans 10: 8,9,10 ) gives us a new attitude. The mind of Christ. For you to live is Christ and Christ is love.

It is the greatest moment in any man's life when a man can be quiet and just take an inventory of himself. What is in your heart? We must ask ourselves, "What kind of person am I"?

The truth is every human being was created in the image of God. Through the new birth experience ( John 3:16) we will regain that image.

God loves each and every one of us and He wants His image, the image of His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ, to be reflected in our attitudes, our lives, our very beings.

We need the mind of Christ for you to live is Christ and Christ is love.

http://sermons.christiansunite.com/Kathryn_Kuhlman.shtml

Last edited:
Here are some more notes taken from a sermon she gives called Surrender brings victory. Here is the link to the audio sermon - Kathryn Kuhlman - Online Sermons

She recounts Hudson Taylor, that great missionary to China, and his quest to know true holiness. Hudson had thought it would be acquired - this sanctification - Taylor stated, I prayed, I fasted, I agonized, I read diligently all without effect! Is there no rest? Must it be constant conflict? Hudson goes on to say, I hated myself!

Then he wrote his sister a letter saying, I knew I was a child of God but how could I reflect Christ?

Then in a single sentence the answer came forth.......how to have constant, unbroken victory, uneffected by any circumstance no matter how dire! No matter how bad!

What was this answer?

By faith a channel is formed where Christ's fullness plentiously flows down and the barren branch becomes a portion of the fruitful vine. He who has Christ most within Abides in Christ. ( continually )

Be one with Christ. Make a complete surrender and abide in Christ and His Word abiding in
you and this will become the reality of your life.

This surrender Kuhlman speaks of on this audio tape - she states the terms of the agreement require surrender and the average Christian is unwilling to do it. She also points out that even those who have given their lives to study the bible, seminary school, preachers, ministers of the Gospel have also refused to the terms of the agreement which requires surrender. Kuhlman makes clear that you cannot give more than you yourself have experienced.

You cannot impart an anointing you do not have.

She states that the most common things are cheap. They do not cost much. The most valuable things are very expensive. This is true in the spiritual realm as well. Count the cost. Complete surrender is the cost.

Why is it she asks that men who have studied the bible, gone to seminary, have a thorough knowledge of bible scripture yet have no understanding at all of what surrender means?

A good question Kuhlman asks considering it is the only door by which the wise virgins shall enter in. Why would a man or woman refuse to make a full surrender to Christ?
Perhaps they are unwilling to pay the price. Perhaps they do not realise they have yet to do it.

She is not denying that these men have not been born again, they are indeed devoted to serving God but there is no fruit of holiness in them. No understanding in them of how to get it. They are in precisely the same predicament Hudson Taylor was in prior to his full surrender.

It is always by Faith, we enter in. By Faith the channel is formed. By Faith we believe, By Faith we receive. By Faith we trust in Christ - to crush all corruption within - looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith - looking unto Jesus is all we need. Looking unto Jesus is all we need - Hudsons spoke of getting to the edge of a sea but a sea that is boundless!

Not the Striving to have - but looking off to the Faithful One, Jesus Christ!

Thank God for men and women such as Hudson Taylor and Katherine Kuhlman who surrendered themselves fully unto God so that they could be a blessing to others and show us this is the way! This is the way ! Looking unto Jesus! This is the way!

Amen!

Last edited:
To bring this to a conclusion - regarding Katherine's first sermon, Mental Attitudes - which is followed by the second - Surrender brings Victory - there is one final part of her teaching remaining to be said. ( from my notes )

You will also meet people along lifes highway who are courteous, confident, kind, they will overlook the flaws in others because they simply do not see it. They are this way because that is what God created all of us to be and through being born again the image is restored back to who Christ has created them to be. One created in "His Image".

It is exactly the same for them as it is for the other side who cannot radiate happiness because they have none within. They can only see the world from their own reflection.

For the Believer -

We are crucified with Christ, it is no longer we that live but Christ living in us. Christ reflects Love because Christ is love.

http://sermons.christiansunite.com/Kathryn_Kuhlman.shtml

Last edited:

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21"I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Cross References

Song of Solomon 7:10
I belong to my beloved, and his desire is for me.

Matthew 4:3
The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."

Romans 3:22
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Romans 4:25
He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Romans 5:6
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 6:6
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--

Romans 8:10
But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness.

Romans 8:37
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Romans 14:7
For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone.

1 Corinthians 6:17
But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.

2 Corinthians 11:10
As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine.

Galatians 1:4
who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,

Galatians 5:24
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Last edited:
There is one final message in this to all who are reading. In the parable of the wedding banquet Jesus makes clear that the church who was invited to come to the wedding banquet but refused to come will lose their invitation ( their salvation ) - then the King will send His servants out into the highways and byways to invite others to come in.

It is written:

Then the king said to his servants, the wedding is ready but they which were bidden were not worthy. Go ye therefore into the highways and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good, and the wedding was furnished with guests. - Matthew 22; 8,9,10

You can read the entire parable in Matthew 22.

Jesus clearly identifies them as both the good and the bad. There are people who are genuinely good people, good hearted people who have never accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior but they will all come to Jesus both the good and the bad once the Christians who were bidden to come and refused have been shut out.

I apologise for leaving that out earlier and this would confirm that Jesus does know who is who and that the hypocrites in the church who have condemned Christs servants who have bidden them to come in now - and who have refused and turned and attacked those servants - these people will never enter into heaven but rather the prostitute and the tax collector shall enter into heaven and take their seats at the wedding banquet. Amen. Be blessed everyone. Jesus Christ loves you deeply.

Last edited:
The Parable of the Two Sons

But what think ye? A certain man had two sons, and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.

He answered, and said, I will not. But afterward he repented, and went.

And he came to the second, and said likewise, And he answered and said, I will go, Sir, and he went not.

Whether of them twain did the will of his father?

They said unto him, The first.

Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

For John came unto you in the way of righteousness and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: And ye, when ye have seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him. - Matthew 21: 28 - 32

My mental attitude today is I'd like to shoot someone. So, thanks. I needed this! :)
[MENTION=15332]Irish[/MENTION] Ram
That does not sound like you at all but rather fiery darts from the wicked one being aimed at your mind - making you believe those thoughts are coming from you when they are not. I plead the blood of Jesus over you right now, in Jesus Name! Satan is the father of lies and his tactics include deception. Listen to Katherines sermons a few times and the anointing on them will destroy anything that is coming against your mind. Also here is a sermon from Gurnall that will bless you on the subject. You walk in love, Sister and the devil is a liar!

Sermon by William Gurnall - SATAN ACCUSES YOU OF HIS OWN THOUGHTS - http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

When you see a snake creeping along you can hardly tell which way it is heading. Satan moves in a similar fashion, turning this way, and that to conceal his true intentions. Here are some methods he uses to cloud your relationship with the Father.

He lays his own evil imaginings like foundlng children at their door. How clever he is at this deception! When thoughts or inclinations contrary to the will and ways of God creep in, many dear Christians mistake these miserable orphans for their own children, and take upon themselves the full responsibility for these carnal passions. So deftly does the devil slip his own thoughts into the saint's bosom that by the time they begin to whimper, he is already out of sight. And the Christian, seeing no one but himself at home, supposes these misbegotten notions are his own. So he bears the shame himself and Satan has accomplished his purpose.

What recourse does the child of God have? Stay in close fellowship with the Father. Then you will be able to repulse the devil's accusations by the sword of the Spirit. But be prepared for another assault.

Like Nuchadnezzar, Satan will probably throw a fit of jealous rage and stoke the fires of his wrath seven times hotter until the flames of his blasphemous emotions engulf you. By this he hopes to so frighten you and so muddle your spiritual senses that you may yet be persuaded to draw a wrong conclusion - that you are no longer a child of God, for instance.

The truth is, if you sin at all in this situation,it is because you doubt God's keeping power instead of doubting those mongered emotions. My counsel in this case is to do with such feelings as you would the outlaw gangs who travel around the country harrassing good citizens. While you may not be able to keep them from passing through your town, you can certainly see that they do not settle there.

My encouragement comes from the Lord, His Word and King David and his Psalms are the prayers I enjoy praying out loud. But there are times that a Christian Warrior like Gurnall can encourage me too - such as his Christian in Complete Armour and the Holy Spirit has him to minister to me by his sermons and Katherine Kuhlman is another one who ministers to me because the anointing is on her sermons / videos / and the anointing breaks every yoke of bondage and heaviness. When you are going for God's ministers seek out the best to minister to you and do not settle for a chopped liver dinner is my advice, Sister Irish Ram.

Last edited:
Evidence of an unstable mind:

James 1:8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

cross references

Psalm 119:113
I hate double-minded people, but I love your law.

James 1:7
That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.

James 4:8
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

2 Peter 2:14
With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed--an accursed brood!

Last edited:
The full scripture from Kuhlman's sermon is as follows.......

Proverbs 23: 7

For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. Eat and drink, saith he to thee, but his heart is not with thee.

What does this mean? It means that what is in a man's heart is not always revealed by his actions or by his speech. So how can you know that someone's heart is not with you? By scripture!

http://biblehub.com/proverbs/26-25.htm

When his speech is charming, don't believe him; for there are seven abominations in his heart.
- Proverbs 26: 25

Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

26:24-26. Always distrust when a man speaks fair unless you know him well. Satan, in his temptations, speaks fair, as he did to Eve; but it is madness to give credit to him. 27. What pains men take to do mischief to others! but it is digging a pit, it is rolling a stone, hard work; and they prepare mischief to themselves. 28. There are two sorts of lies equally detestable. A slandering lie, the mischief of this every body sees. A flattering lie, which secretly works ruin. A wise man will be more afraid of a flatterer than of a slanderer.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 25. - When he speaketh fair, believe him not. When he lowers his voice to a winning, agreeable tone, put no trust in him. Septuagint, "If thine enemy entreat thee with a loud voice, be not persuaded." For there are seven abominations in his heart. His heart is filled with a host of evil thoughts (see on ver. 16), as if seven devils had entered in and dwelt there (Matthew 12:45; Mark 16:9). Ecclus. 12:10, etc. "Never trust thine enemy; for like as iron rusteth, so is his wickedness. Though he humble himself, and go crouching, yet take good heed and beware of him." Plato's verdict concerning hypocrisy is often quoted, Ἐσχάτη ἀδικία δοκεῖν δίκαιον εϊναι μὴ ὄντα "It is the very worst form of injustice to appear to be just without being so in reality" ('De Rep.,' 2, p. 361, A). With this Cicero agrees ('De Offic.,' 1:13), "Totius injustitiae nulla capitalior est quam eorum, qui tum cum maxime fallunt id agunt ut viri boni esse videantur."

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

When he speaketh fair, believe him not,.... Gives good words, flatters with his lips, pretends great kindness and favour, expresses himself in a very gracious and amiable manner, in order to gain attention and respect; or when he delivers himself in a submissive and suppliant way, with great humility and deference; or in a mournful and pitiful strain, as if he had the most tender affection and concern; be not too credulous; do not suffer yourselves to be imposed upon by him; be upon your guard, distrust him, suspect a snake in the grass;

for there are seven abominations in his heart; a multitude of wicked purposes, schemes, and designs, which he has formed there against you, and which he only waits a proper time to put in execution; things abominable to God and men. Aben Ezra thinks reference is had to the seven abominations in Proverbs 6:16.

Last edited:
This is very serious. This is telling us that there are people who will pretend to be concerned about you, pretend to have special secret knowledge, pretend to have the answers to your problems. They are what they are in their heart and their heart is holding 7 abominations! These people who seduce you with their fair speech are not your friends! We must discern things by the written word of God, people, because Satan can come as an angel of light. I remember a woman in my city who visited a church that was teaching deliverance ministry with how to books and some class you had to pay for the books & tools they provided which were full of lies! Christians were signing up and buying these work books! Come to find out the Pastor and his wife were both Satanists! Oh! What a sorrow it is for people who are perishing because they do not know what the Word of God says! You need a bible and a heart ready to seek the LORD and that is all you need! Call on Jesus, Beloved! Call on Jesus! Salvation is free! Deliverance is free! Healing is free! The bible is clear that the Holy Spirit is your teacher. If you are saved ask for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Lord desires for you to be baptized with the Holy Spirit! He is your teacher! He is all that you need. Buy a bible. It is the only book you need.

What is Gill's commentary telling us about these deceivers?

What Gill is saying is that in his or her heart is a multitude of wicked purposes, schemes, and designs which they have formed against you and the only thing they are waiting for is the right moment to execute their plan, their scheme against you! Is it any wonder God would identify them as a people who have seven abominations in their heart? This is very serious. Look at this link and study it out. God wants to set some folks free today. Mental Attitudes can be healed only one way! Call on the Lord Jesus! Be born again and receive the mind of Christ! Amen? Amen!

Proverbs 6:16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the way of the evil way and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 30:18,21,24,29 There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yes, four which I know not:

Amos 1:3,6,9,11 Thus said the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four I will not turn away because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron:

Amos 2:1,4,6 Thus said the LORD; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four I will turn away the punishment thereof ..

Proverbs 3:32 For the fraudulent is abomination to the LORD: but his secret is with the righteous.

Proverbs 11:1,20 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.

Proverbs 15:8,9 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight. The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD but the way of the upright is his delight.

Proverbs 17:15 He that justifies the wicked, and he that condemns the just, even they both are ABOMINATION to the Lord.

Last edited:
Giving praise and thanks to the Only One Who is Worthy of it! God Almighty! Jesus Christ! The King of Kings and the LORD of LORDS! Be thou glorified, O LORD! You are alone are Worthy!

[ame=http://youtu.be/8bnca6pOKN8]Phil Driscoll - How Great Thou Art / Worship His Majesty (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

I utterly despise anything that dares to attempt to touch God's glory or steal it from Him! Is it any wonder Paul was so outraged by those who did it? Not to me it isn't!! How dare ANYONE touch God's Glory!

There are not many ways to God! There is one way only! Through Jesus Christ His Only Begotten Son! Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved! Read your bible and ask the LORD for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Then the Holy Spirit will teach you. Very simple. Do not let anyone complicate it for you. It is not complicated. Even a child could get this! Millions have! They pray in tongues too! Amen? Good night.

Forum List

Back