Michigan's gay marriage ban struck down

Wrong! This is excellent news:
http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-halts-gay-marriages-michigan-210343159.html

Maybe the adults will take charge here and restore power to the states.

Incorrect.

The states do not have the ‘power’ to deny Americans their civil liberties:

[N]ational citizenship has privileges and immunities protected from state abridgement by the force of the Constitution itself.

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995).

Consequently, residents of a given state are first and foremost citizens of the United States, where the Federal Constitution protects their rights as citizens, in this case the 14th Amendment, from unwarranted interference by their state of residence, there is no ‘power’ to ‘restore’ to the states, as they never had any such ‘power’ to begin with.

Why do any of you care if gay people get married? What's the real reason?

Wrong! This is excellent news:
http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-halts-gay-marriages-michigan-210343159.html

Maybe the adults will take charge here and restore power to the states.

Incorrect.

The states do not have the ‘power’ to deny Americans their civil liberties:

[N]ational citizenship has privileges and immunities protected from state abridgement by the force of the Constitution itself.

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995).

Consequently, residents of a given state are first and foremost citizens of the United States, where the Federal Constitution protects their rights as citizens, in this case the 14th Amendment, from unwarranted interference by their state of residence, there is no ‘power’ to ‘restore’ to the states, as they never had any such ‘power’ to begin with.
No one is denied anything, dunce.
Gays can marry just like married people can marry. Otherwise I am being denied benefits because farmers get benefits for farming and I'm not getting them.

I don't. They can get married all they want. They can set up and play house and take turns calling each other mom and dad, for all I care.
But don't make the rest of us part of that farce. Don't legitimate it.

I don't. They can get married all they want. They can set up and play house and take turns calling each other mom and dad, for all I care.

You don't care if they get married as long as the marriages aren't recognized by the state. But straight marriages are recognized. So tell me again how gay couples aren't being denied anything.

You really are an ignorant person. Selfish too. How dare you try to impose your beliefs on a free people. Go away.

You don't care if they get married as long as the marriages aren't recognized by the state. But straight marriages are recognized. So tell me again how gay couples aren't being denied anything.

You really are an ignorant person. Selfish too. How dare you try to impose your beliefs on a free people. Go away.

You just have to wonder how many people who live in the US actually hate the ideals of the US Constitution, like human rights.

Many on the far left and almost the entire far right "hate the ideals of the US Constitution, like human rights."

Many on the far left and almost the entire far right "hate the ideals of the US Constitution, like human rights."

Yep, but then even people who aren't so extreme also hate the ideals. The religious seem to find it difficult to get the constitution and the bible to sit side by side.

We can get married all we want in 17 states and growing (fast).

You're too late. We're legitimate.

Too legit, too legit to quit, baby! :lol:

We can get married all we want in 17 states and growing (fast).

You're too late. We're legitimate.

Too legit, too legit to quit, baby! :lol:

And winning was all it ever was about to you folks.

If nothing else I hope forcing legitimacy onto the nation makes you feel better about yourself.

If nothing else I hope forcing legitimacy onto the nation makes you feel better about yourself.

Really? You don't think that people believe that equality, treating people fairly and all that goes with human rights is not actually something to believe in?

It's just winning?

The question has to be, why do you give a damn who someone else marries?

Why can't a person with a driver's license use hat license to fly an airplane?

Marriage is not a right and no one is being denied marriage within the parameters of the definition of marriage.

If the term marriage is a right then how does someone deny ANYONE from marring another person? No the historic definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. But if you don't have a problem with cousins marrying or denying them their same rights to marry then just go ahead believing marriage is a right.

Because a Drivers License allows you to drive on roads. If you want to fly airplanes you need a Pilots License.

Marriage is not a right and no one is being denied marriage within the parameters of the definition of marriage.

And the parameters of marriage used to include only of the same race. Parameters change.

Equal Protections and Due Process ARE rights enumerated in the Constitution.

If the term marriage is a right then how does someone deny ANYONE from marring another person? No the historic definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. But if you don't have a problem with cousins marrying or denying them their same rights to marry then just go ahead believing marriage is a right.

Historically, polygamy was in the parameters of marriage dating back thousands of years.

Are you saying polygamy should be legal?

(BTW - "Tradition" is not a compelling government interest in denying people equal treatment under the law. That argument was used to justify interracial bans also - didn't fly then either.)

>>>>

Does a person who can drive a car know how to fly a plane? No, come on.

Does a person who is gay know how to live with someone and be essentially their partner for life? Yes.

There's a big difference.

You want to use a traditional word to deny people the opportunity to do what they like?

Seriously, rights didn't exist, and many people would have wanted to stop people getting rights, and still do, and my claim some kind of word game to "prove" they are somehow right.

It's basically not your business if someone chooses to marry someone else or not.

Does a marriage need to be state sanctioned to exist? In your mind probably yes. Because you are a fascist.
You are the one seeking to impose beliefs on others. I dont care what gay people do, although it is wrong. You want me to say Oh yes, those gay people are just like straight people but with different tastes.
It's a lie. It's a proven lie. It's an obvious lie.
Also the truth is you dont give a shit about gay people. If the GOP were for gay rights you'd be claiming they're undermining America.

And another judge just over-ruled the first so the ban is back on!

Let's hope common sense and judicial integrity win out here. Marriage has always been a state matter. Not an unlimited one, but largely within state control, see Loving v VA.

And another judge just over-ruled the first so the ban is back on!

:sigh:

The Appeals Court did not "over-rule" the first (they may, they man not), what was issued was a "Stay" delaying implementation through Wednesday when the full appeals court will determine whether the stay will remain in place during the appeals process or not.

No "over-ruling" has occurred.

>>>>

Really? You don't think that people believe that equality, treating people fairly and all that goes with human rights is not actually something to believe in?

It's just winning?

The question has to be, why do you give a damn who someone else marries?

When that person has the right to come into your business and force you to change your business practices, then there is certainly an interest in who someone else marries. The statue in New York harbor is the Statue of Liberty, not the statue of equality.

Forum List

Back