Michigan's gay marriage ban struck down

Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage

DETROIT — In a historic ruling that provided a huge morale boost to the gay-rights movement, a federal judge Friday struck down Michigan's ban on same-sex marriage, making it the 18th state in the nation to allow gays and lesbians to join in matrimony just like their heterosexual counterparts.

That makes six different states with court rulings against gay marriage bans. Ironically Michigan is probably the most liberal of the bunch. It puts huge pressure on the Supreme Court to act on all these rulings. I'd say by the end of next year we're going to see national gay marriage.

From the same pressure, but to the contrary, I say that by the end of next year we won't see an overturning of Windsor so soon. SCOTUS is reticent to overturn its own decisions so quickly, and states will be affirmed as the "unquestioned authority" via their "consensus" on gay marriage once again.

Read Windsor. You really should before you speak on the topic of the next Ruling on gay marriage. When you understand the Court does not like to overturn itself so rapidly, if nothing else just from a credibility standpoint, you will understand that their determination on the state's role in approving or disapproving gay marriage is pivotal.

They brought up Loving v Virginia and denied gay marriage nationally anyway. Said it was up to each state's broad consensus to decide. That's why Windsor won against DOMA. There's your sign...

Also according to Windsor, denying [or approving] gay marriage via broad consensus by a state is its right retroactive to the founding of the country. Ergo, no same-gendered marriage performed in any judicial-activism "overturned" state has been legal gay marriage. There are rules in the appelate system. One of them is that no lower court may defy the Supreme Court's Ruling, or be not in line with it.

Last edited:
Gay marriage will be recognized in all 50 eventually. And it is happening faster than I thought it would. I mean I knew that an overwhelming majority of those under 40 years old absolutely do not care about another person's sexual orientation. But I figured the old timers would put up a bigger fight than they are.

It's about like legalizing marijuana imho. Once a few states get on board, the wheels are turning in that direction and they will not be stopped. You can't put that toothpaste back into the tube.

Gay marriage will be recognized in all 50 eventually. And it is happening faster than I thought it would. I mean I knew that an overwhelming majority of those under 40 years old absolutely do not care about another person's sexual orientation. But I figured the old timers would put up a bigger fight than they are.

It's about like legalizing marijuana imho. Once a few states get on board, the wheels are turning in that direction and they will not be stopped. You can't put that toothpaste back into the tube.

Never underestimate the power of an unwilling people. You just saw what happens in Crimea.

Never underestimate the power of an unwilling people. You just saw what happens in Crimea.

And how are the two issues related?
Are you saying Ukrainians are gay? Or Russians?

Not following

Not following

When the policies of a country drift so far from what the people are willing to tolerate, the people are quite capable of replacing the leadership with something they like better. The majority in Crimea did not want to be Europeanized. They voted for something else. Now you can deny them that vote and just go in and kill them all, but that's about the only course of action left open.

It's in our own Declaration of Independence.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

The people are quite willing to put up with some inroads on their freedom, but when the government crosses that line and goes into personal lives, perverting their morals, encouraging drug addiction among their children, that government has become destructive of the ends of the people who withdraw their consent to be governed.

Not following

When the policies of a country drift so far from what the people are willing to tolerate, the people are quite capable of replacing the leadership with something they like better. The majority in Crimea did not want to be Europeanized. They voted for something else. Now you can deny them that vote and just go in and kill them all, but that's about the only course of action left open.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

The people are quite willing to put up with some inroads on their freedom, but when the government crosses that line and goes into personal lives, perverting their morals, encouraging drug addiction among their children, that government has become destructive of the ends of the people who withdraw their consent to be governed.

A majority of the population in Michigan favors gay marriage.

Not following

Ohhh so THAT'S why they voted for a Constitutional ban! How silly of me, I should have realized that no means yes.

This was imposed by a single judge. You can pretend that it was by some majority action but that won't make it so.

When the policies of a country drift so far from what the people are willing to tolerate, the people are quite capable of replacing the leadership with something they like better.

Yup, that's why people who oppose gay marriage are being ushered to the sidelines.

As I said - it will be a state-by-state process - and it won't happen over night. But it will happen, state-by-state. And by the looks of the trends - sooner rather than later. Sooner than I expected it to anyway - that's for sure.

Last edited:

Could thing attitudes are changing in the US, and we are becoming less anti-homosexual, and not so stuck in the dark ages. bigots won't have many people to stand with soon, thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Ohhh so THAT'S why they voted for a Constitutional ban! How silly of me, I should have realized that no means yes.

This was imposed by a single judge. You can pretend that it was by some majority action but that won't make it so.

Ten years ago.
And who cares? The ban was unconstitutional.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

That was 10 years ago...things change, like you know...not many people were dancing disco in 1991 despite being popular in 1981?

MSU survey: Majority of Michigan residents support gay marriage as judge considers ban | MLive.com

Results from Michigan State University's latest State of the State Survey, released Friday, suggest that 54 percent of residents favor "the right of gay and lesbian couples to be legally married," while 36 percent are opposed.

Gay marriage is only legal in 3 states I believe by the definition Ruled on in DOMA/Windsor in 2013. Illegal lower court rulings that conflict with Windsor's Ruling last Summer do not have legal gay marriage. No matter how hard you want to wish that is so.

So, again, unless SCOTUS plans on overturning its own Decision from last Summer so soon, you've got a looooooonnnnngg way to go baby.. For instance gay marriage is illegal in California. And California is probably the most tolerant state towards it. Twice voted by consensus [as defined in Windsor], twice defeated. Gays won't even put it on the ballot again for fear that a third strike would really kill momentum nationwide.

The question of constitutionality was answered last Summer in Windsor. If a state defined via consensus that gay marriage is not legal there, then that's it. You can line up 50 rogue judges, one for each state, and all 50 of them can declare that bans on other than heteros marrying are unconsitutional. And their declarations aren't worth the paper they're written on. SCOTUS has spoken. State's voters get to decide and if the question comes up between the broader consensus v the narrower/temporary ruling heads, the favor goes to the broader consensus. Might want to peek at Windsor when you get a chance...

Last edited:

Gay marriage is only legal in 3 states I believe by the definition Ruled on in DOMA/Windsor in 2013. Illegal lower court rulings that conflict with Windsor's Ruling last Summer do not have legal gay marriage. No matter how hard you want to wish that is so.

So, again, unless SCOTUS plans on overturning its own Decision from last Summer so soon, you've got a looooooonnnnngg way to go baby.. For instance gay marriage is illegal in California. And California is probably the most tolerant state towards it. Twice voted by consensus [as defined in Windsor], twice defeated. Gays won't even put it on the ballot again for fear that a third strike would really kill momentum nationwide.

The question of constitutionality was answered last Summer in Windsor. If a state defined via consensus that gay marriage is not legal there, then that's it. You can line up 50 rogue judges, one for each state, and all 50 of them can declare that bans on other than heteros marrying are unconsitutional. And their declarations aren't worth the paper they're written on. SCOTUS has spoken. State's voters get to decide and if the question comes up between the broader consensus v the narrower/temporary ruling heads, the favor goes to the broader consensus. Might want to peek at Windsor when you get a chance...

It's legal in 17 states currently (technically 18 since there's no stay on the Michigan ruling yet). They're handing out marriage certificates, taxing the couples jointly, letting them see them in hospitals, everything. Living in a fantasy world where gay marriage isn't legal in California isn't going to get you anywhere.

Another win for smaller government and freedom!

No, idiot. People voted for that ban. People in the state voted to establish a state standard of marriage. The 10th Amendment allows them to do just that. Now we have unelected judges defying the clear will of the people. That is not freedom but tyranny. But in good news many of those gays will get to work on research, infreastructure and education.

someday when you grow up you will learn that you cant vote to take someones rights away.
Anyways you are loosing and that makes me happy.

How do you take away a right that never existed?

Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage

DETROIT — In a historic ruling that provided a huge morale boost to the gay-rights movement, a federal judge Friday struck down Michigan's ban on same-sex marriage, making it the 18th state in the nation to allow gays and lesbians to join in matrimony just like their heterosexual counterparts.

That makes six different states with court rulings against gay marriage bans. Ironically Michigan is probably the most liberal of the bunch. It puts huge pressure on the Supreme Court to act on all these rulings. I'd say by the end of next year we're going to see national gay marriage.

Excellent news.

Wrong! This is excellent news:
http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-halts-gay-marriages-michigan-210343159.html

Maybe the adults will take charge here and restore power to the states.

They are...10-0.

Did the appeals court in MI vote to overturn the ban or enforce the ban?
Your number skill is off. Of course this is someone who can't figure out that Tab A goes in Slot B, so what do I expect?

You realize that a "Stay" does not overturn the courts decision. The stay puts it on hold until they can review the case.

>>>>

Forum List

Back