@*(&^&^% Microsoft!!!!!

I must have misconstrued some things, looks like I had it wrong, Did a little more research and it appears those games are available in Xbox and through Steam for PCs so from what I can tell know there are no Xbox games on Steam (for now). My initial readings seemed to show there were games for Xbox on Steam, I wish the idiots who write these articles would be more clear as to what they mean.
Sorry for the confusion, my bad.

Hell, I was shocked that I could play Steam games I had purchased on both Windows and Linux (where available). I was expecting to have to buy them again if I wanted to play on a different OS! :)

Hell, I was shocked that I could play Steam games I had purchased on both Windows and Linux (where available). I was expecting to have to buy them again if I wanted to play on a different OS! :)

Also true of the Mac. A game bought for the PC can be played on a Mac - if the game is ported - as part of the original purchase price.

I love Steam.

Also true of the Mac. A game bought for the PC can be played on a Mac - if the game is ported - as part of the original purchase price.

I love Steam.

I and others I know have had problems with Steam in the past, so I'm somewhat on the fence about it......but the cross-OS thing, as well as at least a little attempt at catering to Linux users, certainly makes me look on the company more favorably.

I and others I know have had problems with Steam in the past, so I'm somewhat on the fence about it......but the cross-OS thing, as well as at least a little attempt at catering to Linux users, certainly makes me look on the company more favorably.

The Steam Machine was Linux based - looks like it died on the vine, but for a time, they were pushing for a lot of Linux support.

The Steam Machine was Linux based - looks like it died on the vine, but for a time, they were pushing for a lot of Linux support.
Really? Did Windows block this?

1 in 5 Steam Games Has Linux Support

There are now more than 1100 games on Steam for Linux

The Steam for Linux platform is growing at a fantastic rate, and there are now more than 1100 titles on this platform that have support for open source operating system.

Valve released Steam for Linux just two and a half years ago, and the advances made by the platform are truly astounding, especially if we keep in mind that gaming wasn't really a focus back then for Linux distros. This meant that the drivers were in a poor state, and the basic idea was that Linux is not an OS that can be a gaming machine.

Many developers jumped on board, and they have ported numerous titles to Linux. In the past year or so, that trend has changed, and developers are now looking to add Linux support from the start. This is the main reason more than a 100 titles have made their appearance on Steam for Linux in the past month, which in itself is an impressive figure.

Steam for Linux is not slowing down
Some gamers might think that 1100 games are too many, but please keep in mind that Windows has had a lot more time to cement itself as a gaming OS. In this case, 1100 means that 1 in 5 titles have Linux support. As one Reddit user pointed out, after 160 more games have been ported or released for Linux, that proportion will become 1 in 4, meaning 25%.

Valve is really trying to make Linux a force by investing a lot of money in Steam OS and the Steam Machines, the upcoming console / PC hybrids that should be game changers, come November. They have also improved the Linux driver support by actively supporting development for various components, and they have announced that

Ya know, you keep pushing that "line", are you trying to convince yourself or others? It's definitely not dead.
This is one reason why some of us think you're probably a Microsoft trained (programmed) tech, employee or have major stock in Microsoft, you generally have nothing good to say about Linux and are always praising M$. Honestly, that's terribly suspicious.

The Steam for Linux platform is growing at a fantastic rate, and there are now more than 1100 titles on this platform that have support for open source operating system.

Valve released Steam for Linux just two and a half years ago, and the advances made by the platform are truly astounding, especially if we keep in mind that gaming wasn't really a focus back then for Linux distros. This meant that the drivers were in a poor state, and the basic idea was that Linux is not an OS that can be a gaming machine.

Many developers jumped on board, and they have ported numerous titles to Linux. In the past year or so, that trend has changed, and developers are now looking to add Linux support from the start. This is the main reason more than a 100 titles have made their appearance on Steam for Linux in the past month, which in itself is an impressive figure.

Some gamers might think that 1100 games are too many, but please keep in mind that Windows has had a lot more time to cement itself as a gaming OS. In this case, 1100 means that 1 in 5 titles have Linux support. As one Reddit user pointed out, after 160 more games have been ported or released for Linux, that proportion will become 1 in 4, meaning 25%.

Valve is really trying to make Linux a force by investing a lot of money in Steam OS and the Steam Machines, the upcoming console / PC hybrids that should be game changers, come November. They have also improved the Linux driver support by actively supporting development for various components, and they have announced that

There are a lot of indy games on Steam for Linux, puzzle and platform games similar to those on cell phones. But the Steam Machines fell flat, the biggest of them, Alienware has shifted over to a Windows based box. It's too bad, taking the licensing fees out of the equation should have made the machines more competitive, but they weren't - nearly all cost more than an Xbox or PS4

[
Ya know, you keep pushing that "line", are you trying to convince yourself or others? It's definitely not dead.
This is one reason why some of us think you're probably a Microsoft trained (programmed) tech, employee or have major stock in Microsoft, you generally have nothing good to say about Linux and are always praising M$. Honestly, that's terribly suspicious.

The Steam Machine sure doesn't sell. Alienware went over to Windows to sell the box, they will still fail. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft subsidize the PS4 and Xbox One. Alien or Northwest Falcon have a hard time moving and $899 Steam box against the big boys $399 boxes, especially when the Steam Machine can't play most of the Triple A titles.

My latest check had over 1500 games on Steam for Linux. However, the problem still remains that almost none of the top tier games are available for Linux; Wine is still necessary to play most of the big titles.

[

The Steam Machine sure doesn't sell. Alienware went over to Windows to sell the box, they will still fail. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft subsidize the PS4 and Xbox One. Alien or Northwest Falcon have a hard time moving and $899 Steam box against the big boys $399 boxes, especially when the Steam Machine can't play most of the Triple A titles.
Well the Steam machine has been upgraded and is being released again at $400 to $500.
They also have an uphill battle against the well established PS4 and Xbox market.

Last edited:
My latest check had over 1500 games on Steam for Linux. However, the problem still remains that almost none of the top tier games are available for Linux; Wine is still necessary to play most of the big titles.

I had hoped that the Steam Machines would attract the Triple A devs to port to Linux, but unless Steam starts subsidizing the boxes, there is no chance of them competing against Sony or MS.

Well the Steam machine has been upgraded and is being released again at $400 to $500.
They also have an uphill battle against the well established PS4 and Xbox market.

I'm not seeing that so much.

upload_2015-11-4_9-55-32.png

I just received an ad from Steam for a Steam machine for $400 about 4 days ago.

Here is the page

Steam Machines
Regardless, I received a sales ad for $400. Not that I'm going to take them up on it but I'm not currently in the market for any gaming machine.
None of this is the point, it's a tangent away from what I said before about suspicious appearances.

On the theme of hating Microsoft...my nephew brings his laptop to me that is dripping with viruses and malware. Windows 10.
First thing I noticed was Windows Defender was not running. Even as administrator, if I try to start the process it will say "this program is not running due to your user group policy, contact your administrator"...so the virus amazingly with ease disabled Defender.
I spent hours trying to clean the PC - but Windows continuously gets in the way. The PC was also stuck in an update loop so everytime I had to reboot after a registry fix - whatever I did would be reversed because the failed update would not stop trying to update - and everything I did was lost.
I finally figured out how to kill the update, so there was that. But the virus would almost immediately reinstall itself. So finally I gave up. I told him the only thing to do is to wipe the PC and reinstall the OS...oh...that's right...you can't do that with Windows. No external media.
Gosh darnit.
So as of now I am typing on my new laptop. He gave up and bought another one.
I wiped his old one and installed Linuxmint.
Nice laptop. Looks like I won't be buying a new one after all.

I am thinking about a laptop but they all have Windows if they aren't Macs. I'd like to find one for $100 less without Windows, I don't have the patience for that sort of thing anymore. MS made my blood boil too many times already.

Computer games. More distractions for the morons footing the bill to destroy themselves. Perfect !
Mental masturbation while the world burns.

Forum List

Back