@*(&^&^% Microsoft!!!!!

Rebuilt my 7 year old computer a few weeks back, initially put 16GBs RAM in then ordered another 16GBs and installed it 1/2 hour ago....... Windows show the 32 GBs but says only 16 is usable...... Checked MSCONFIG - Boot - Advanced, the max RAM box is unchecked so that's not the problem. Dig around the internet and discover that Win 7 Home Premium x64 only supports 16GBs of RAM. What money hungry asshole at M$ came up with that ripoff??!!
So now I have to either purchase Win 7 Pro or Ultimate or upgrade to Win 10 to use the 32 GBs......... Damn am I pissed!!!!!!

Condolences. mr. boe is enduring the same thing with one of his pet computers.

Rebuilt my 7 year old computer a few weeks back, initially put 16GBs RAM in then ordered another 16GBs and installed it 1/2 hour ago....... Windows show the 32 GBs but says only 16 is usable...... Checked MSCONFIG - Boot - Advanced, the max RAM box is unchecked so that's not the problem. Dig around the internet and discover that Win 7 Home Premium x64 only supports 16GBs of RAM. What money hungry asshole at M$ came up with that ripoff??!!
So now I have to either purchase Win 7 Pro or Ultimate or upgrade to Win 10 to use the 32 GBs......... Damn am I pissed!!!!!!

Old news now, I upgraded, configured settings the way I want them, added the old Win 7 games (Solitaire, Hearts, etc), not the new crap they're pushing in their "let me bombard the hell out of you with ads" Microsoft store, I turned that (and all of their other bloatware) off.
Win 10 is working fine, I only have a wakeup issue on one Dell laptop, it takes a good 3 to 5 minutes for the laptop to wakeup from sleep mode if I left something open when it went to sleep.

On the theme of hating Microsoft...my nephew brings his laptop to me that is dripping with viruses and malware. Windows 10.
First thing I noticed was Windows Defender was not running. Even as administrator, if I try to start the process it will say "this program is not running due to your user group policy, contact your administrator"...so the virus amazingly with ease disabled Defender.
I spent hours trying to clean the PC - but Windows continuously gets in the way. The PC was also stuck in an update loop so everytime I had to reboot after a registry fix - whatever I did would be reversed because the failed update would not stop trying to update - and everything I did was lost.
I finally figured out how to kill the update, so there was that. But the virus would almost immediately reinstall itself. So finally I gave up. I told him the only thing to do is to wipe the PC and reinstall the OS...oh...that's right...you can't do that with Windows. No external media.
Gosh darnit.
So as of now I am typing on my new laptop. He gave up and bought another one.
I wiped his old one and installed Linuxmint.
Nice laptop. Looks like I won't be buying a new one after all.
You was only one google search away from saving cash for a new computer...
Windows 10 ISO

On the theme of hating Microsoft...my nephew brings his laptop to me that is dripping with viruses and malware. Windows 10.
First thing I noticed was Windows Defender was not running. Even as administrator, if I try to start the process it will say "this program is not running due to your user group policy, contact your administrator"...so the virus amazingly with ease disabled Defender.
I spent hours trying to clean the PC - but Windows continuously gets in the way. The PC was also stuck in an update loop so everytime I had to reboot after a registry fix - whatever I did would be reversed because the failed update would not stop trying to update - and everything I did was lost.
I finally figured out how to kill the update, so there was that. But the virus would almost immediately reinstall itself. So finally I gave up. I told him the only thing to do is to wipe the PC and reinstall the OS...oh...that's right...you can't do that with Windows. No external media.
Gosh darnit.
Windows 10 ISO

No I got his old computer for free...now I don't have to buy a one. :D
One curiousity I have though...I am wondering of the clean install of Win 10 really is a clean install. One of the key problems, and why viruses today can be so incredibly hard to get rid of, is that Windows now completely controls the boot sector and even into the BIOS.
Soon, if not already, it could become impossible to rid a virus.

Gosh darnit.
Windows 10 ISO

One curiousity I have though...I am wondering of the clean install of Win 10 really is a clean install. One of the key problems, and why viruses today can be so incredibly hard to get rid of, is that Windows now completely controls the boot sector and even into the BIOS.
Bootsector and Bios viruses are nothing new. However, I recommend you to try out this download:
http://kickasstorrent.proxyindex.eu...-2015-ltsb-n-privacy-en-us-x64-t11055595.html

Old news now, I upgraded, configured settings the way I want them, added the old Win 7 games (Solitaire, Hearts, etc), not the new crap they're pushing in their "let me bombard the hell out of you with ads" Microsoft store, I turned that (and all of their other bloatware) off.
Win 10 is working fine, I only have a wakeup issue on one Dell laptop, it takes a good 3 to 5 minutes for the laptop to wakeup from sleep mode if I left something open when it went to sleep.

Laptop hard drives can be slow (4200 rpm), that is why it takes a long time to wake up..

Upgrade the drive to an SSD and you will see a speed performance in that area..

[
Ya know, you keep pushing that "line", are you trying to convince yourself or others? It's definitely not dead.
This is one reason why some of us think you're probably a Microsoft trained (programmed) tech, employee or have major stock in Microsoft, you generally have nothing good to say about Linux and are always praising M$. Honestly, that's terribly suspicious.

The Steam Machine sure doesn't sell. Alienware went over to Windows to sell the box, they will still fail. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft subsidize the PS4 and Xbox One. Alien or Northwest Falcon have a hard time moving and $899 Steam box against the big boys $399 boxes, especially when the Steam Machine can't play most of the Triple A titles.
Well the Steam machine has been upgraded and is being released again at $400 to $500.
They also have an uphill battle against the well established PS4 and Xbox market.
That and why buy one?

Almost everyone that has steam has a PC and likely has one that can outperform the steam machine. Most PC users have no interest in playing on controller (notice I said most - not all) and, even though it may use a KB/mouse, the advantages of a console are really that you can play them sitting on your couch.

Did you make the switch over to the XBox? You said you played RTS and I cannot imagine that translating into a console at all. The last iteration that I tried (HALO's RTS) was a complete failure.

[
Ya know, you keep pushing that "line", are you trying to convince yourself or others? It's definitely not dead.
This is one reason why some of us think you're probably a Microsoft trained (programmed) tech, employee or have major stock in Microsoft, you generally have nothing good to say about Linux and are always praising M$. Honestly, that's terribly suspicious.

The Steam Machine sure doesn't sell. Alienware went over to Windows to sell the box, they will still fail. The problem is that Sony and Microsoft subsidize the PS4 and Xbox One. Alien or Northwest Falcon have a hard time moving and $899 Steam box against the big boys $399 boxes, especially when the Steam Machine can't play most of the Triple A titles.
Well the Steam machine has been upgraded and is being released again at $400 to $500.
They also have an uphill battle against the well established PS4 and Xbox market.
That and why buy one?

Almost everyone that has steam has a PC and likely has one that can outperform the steam machine. Most PC users have no interest in playing on controller (notice I said most - not all) and, even though it may use a KB/mouse, the advantages of a console are really that you can play them sitting on your couch.

Did you make the switch over to the XBox? You said you played RTS and I cannot imagine that translating into a console at all. The last iteration that I tried (HALO's RTS) was a complete failure.
I was simply relaying information about the Steam box and no I was just looking at XBox pluses and negatives, not planning to buy the day after I thought about it. Besides I was pissed at M$ when I posted this thread, very pissed, that problem's been rectified, now when I finally get tired of M$ trying to take control of my PC I'll switch to Linux and either buy a gaming console or wait till more top tier games are ported over to Linux.

[

That and why buy one?

I was simply relaying information about the Steam box and no I was just looking at XBox pluses and negatives, not planning to buy the day after I thought about it. Besides I was pissed at M$ when I posted this thread, very pissed, that problem's been rectified, now when I finally get tired of M$ trying to take control of my PC I'll switch to Linux and either buy a gaming console or wait till more top tier games are ported over to Linux.
MS drives me nuts a lot of the time but I just cannot give it up. To many programs that I use/play will not port over.

[

That and why buy one?

MS drives me nuts a lot of the time but I just cannot give it up. To many programs that I use/play will not port over.

Yeah, I was pretty happy when I finally settled on Linux Mint, but it just doesn't work (or work well enough) with enough of the top games. :(

[

That and why buy one?

Eventually I'll only have one Windows desktop computer devoted to games, and the wife's Windows dedicated laptop all the rest will be Linux. The wife wants to keep Windows because "it's what everyone uses at work and she needs to know Windows" excuse.......... The real reason is she doesn't want to learn a new OS not to mention the fact that she's very impatient and as a result can be computer seriously challenged at times...... and I have to undo what her impatience/frustration has done.

It's extremely unlikely that you would get an actual virus. The most common malware now is browser exploits, and IOS is the most susceptible to them. Windows has no control over BIOS, though some Mobo makers include utilities for overclocking and changing fan speeds within the OS. The reason that zero ring is locked is to stop viruses. Windows, Linux, and BSD (Mac OS) all lock zero ring changes. This ensures the kernal of the OS cannot be altered by malicious code.

It's extremely unlikely that you would get an actual virus. The most common malware now is browser exploits, and IOS is the most susceptible to them. Windows has no control over BIOS, though some Mobo makers include utilities for overclocking and changing fan speeds within the OS. The reason that zero ring is locked is to stop viruses. Windows, Linux, and BSD (Mac OS) all lock zero ring changes. This ensures the kernal of the OS cannot be altered by malicious code.
??
Well sorry to burst your bubble but it was absolutely a virus. A virus that infected his Windows 8.*...and after I downloaded and installed Windows 10...within a few minutes it was obvious it was still infected. Windows Defender was disabled and made an administrative group setting that prevented me from restarting it. I then downloaded Avast!...did a full scan and it deleted/quarantined 100's of files. Spybot Search and Destroy, after I installed it and ran a full scan, found 100's of traces of malware - but the "fix now" button was grayed out. I couldn't do anything. So I installed Adaware...it wouldn't even launch. The control panel would not launch.
After doing research on the name f the virus, more than one site reported the virus as "extremely hard to remove".
So..whalaa - I have a new computer running Mint that is doing perfect!

Those who use Windows are so like those who buy hair shirts then bitch about da itch.
How about;
Those who bitch about Windows hope Microsoft is listening and want M$ to deliver a better product more suited to the end user not Microsoft.

Forum List

Back