Walking in the morning while being black.

Police in Alabama can ask for your name and address and what you are doing. As long as you give them your name and address verbally you have complied with the law.

You do not have to show id. If arrested you have the right to know what are the charges.

You say....my name is blank.....i live here at this address...and im walking.

Beyond that state I will say nothing else without a lawyer present...

The difference between stating your name and showing ID – Papers, Please!.

Police were disaplined for arresting for refusal to show id

A lot more to the story I expect. Try walking while white through East L.A. or Compton or the Bronx someday.
The senior partner in our law firm and I were driving back from court in LA. Because of an accident on the freeway we got off intending to take Crenshaw all the way to Torrance, right through South Central. Yes we got stopped by the police. The cop did not believe a single thing we said.

His opinion was "The only reason for two white women have for driving a new Jaguar Convertible through this is neighborhood is, they are looking to buy drugs."

We complied with everything he asked. Identification from BOTH of us, not only the driver. Search. Car search. Check to see if there was an accident.

Finding out that he had stopped two criminal defense attorneys just pissed him off. Finding nothing pissed him off even more.

His solution was, not let us meet up with the presumed drug dealer. He followed us all the way to Torrance city limits. It was okay with us. We just wanted to go home.

It was dark and so was he.

The one article said the cops let him go. That would be them admitting the had nothing.

True, but the man could have spared his child a traumatic experience by just telling the officer his name. But no, he had to show his ass. It's best to comply and deal with the complaints later.

The senior partner in our law firm and I were driving back from court in LA. Because of an accident on the freeway we got off intending to take Crenshaw all the way to Torrance, right through South Central. Yes we got stopped by the police. The cop did not believe a single thing we said.

His opinion was "The only reason for two white women have for driving a new Jaguar Convertible through this is neighborhood is, they are looking to buy drugs."

We complied with everything he asked. Identification from BOTH of us, not only the driver. Search. Car search. Check to see if there was an accident.

Finding out that he had stopped two criminal defense attorneys just pissed him off. Finding nothing pissed him off even more.

His solution was, not let us meet up with the presumed drug dealer. He followed us all the way to Torrance city limits. It was okay with us. We just wanted to go home.
Where did you hide the drugs?

“suspects you are committing, have committed, or you are about to commit a felony or other public offense.”

That narrows it down to 99% of everyone out after midnight or when the bars close.
Police in Alabama can ask for your name and address and what you are doing. As long as you give them your name and address verbally you have complied with the law.

You do not have to show id. If arrested you have the right to know what are the charges.

You say....my name is blank.....i live here at this address...and im walking.

Beyond that state I will say nothing else without a lawyer present...

The difference between stating your name and showing ID – Papers, Please!.

Police were disaplined for arresting for refusal to show id

What happens with those that lie (all with warrants)? Do they get to walk away because they “complied” sort of?

“suspects you are committing, have committed, or you are about to commit a felony or other public offense.”

That narrows it down to 99% of everyone out after midnight or when the bars close.

What happens with those that lie (all with warrants)? Do they get to walk away because they “complied” sort of?
I read the law of Alabama. He is requured to say this is my name, this is my address, and Im walking.

But the officer who said show me id or you are going to jail needs more training.

Be different if driving a car

The 11th Circuit Court of appeals has ruled that it is clearly established law that even in a state with a “stop-and-identify” law, and even if police reasonably suspect you of a crime, police may not require you to show ID or arrest you if you refuse to do so.

Verbally saying it would have been sufficient. Early on...officer 1 asked who are you. He said Johnny

The 2nd officer should have said what is your name and address and may we see some id. He didnt do that, but said id or jail.

So officer #2 needs training.

I regularly go walking for exercise. Carry my phone to listen to music and my keys. Nothing strange about that.
But do you get your very young kids up to accompany you in the early dawn? And do you walk through a deserted alleyway where you would likely not be seen? And then when a cop thinks that does look quite right and politely questions you, do you refuse to give your name? Do your kids distance themselves from you as that boy did? Apparently the child is autistic which could explain his behavior but the cops had no way to know that. I think questioning the man was reasonable. When the man was ordered to turn around, he then appeared to resist arrest which is a no no. I also found it strange that he didn't call out to his son that it was okay or somehow try to reassure him.

The media accounts I have read and watched have not given all the details we saw in the video posted in the OP. All leave out critical components like the man refusing to provide his name and the apparent resisting arrest for instance.

Is resisting arrest sufficient for taking the man to the ground? I don't know enough about police policy to judge that but it did look excessive. No one has called for the cops to be fired apparently, but the local Sheriff did ask they be put on administrative leave until the incident could be thoroughly investigated.

But as for the initial contact, if you were kidnapping or had bad intentions with my child, I would be very grateful for cops checking you out. Given the time of day and location, I don't think they were out of line for checking the guy out at all.

Apparently he did have some traffic warrants in some other state.

Agreed on the latter, though.

You can't just shake people down until you find someone to arrest for something.

There's a short list of constitutional protections that serve to strictly limit that Gestapo type of behavior.

Reading more on this around the world wide web regarding this specific incident, the man with the government gun let him go after shaking him down and roughing him up, though.
Libs certainly are bitter

The cop did not handle the situation well

But neither did the man

THE POLICE WANT TO TALK TO ME - WHAT DO I DO? - Bradford Ladner.

police. Alabama Code § 15-5-30 provides that a law enforcement official can request your name, address and an “explanation of his actions.” This, however, is true only where the officer reasonably suspects you are committing, have committed, or you are about to commit a felony or other public offense.
The only problem is most police are either ignorant of the law or know they can intimidate citizens to get the information they're looking for. They won't tread lightly unless they know it could mean their job

Libs certainly are bitter

The cop did not handle the situation well

But neither did the man

Yes, all of that is true.

My main, and really only gripe regarding this specific incident, is the broad notion that gets invoked in a way that is meant to encourage Americans collectively to adopt the notion that regular dolts on the street should just submit to arbitrary, often illegal and unconstitutional demands of armed agents of the state.

The 11th Circuit Court of appeals has ruled that it is clearly established law that even in a state with a “stop-and-identify” law, and even if police reasonably suspect you of a crime, police may not require you to show ID or arrest you if you refuse to do so.

Verbally saying it would have been sufficient. Early on...officer 1 asked who are you. He said Johnny

The 2nd officer should have said what is your name and address and may we see some id. He didnt do that, but said id or jail.

So officer #2 needs training.

You seem to have missed a part of the conversation. After the guy said he didn't have his ID on him, he was asked his name and date of birth, he refused to comply.

Forum List

Back