@*(&^&^% Microsoft!!!!!

Okay, just looked up Windows Universal Access controller. Doesn't look like anything I'd be interested in.

Pretty much almost every game I own will play on Xbox. As for Universal Access, this is the first I've heard of it. :dunno:

I know that Microsoft has promised that PC software will run on the XBox1.

But other than this;

Microsoft wants to stream PC games to your Xbox One - CNET

Which is not yet available, I'm not aware of PC games playing on the console.
Like I said before, PC games will not play on Xbox, but since I have games I purchased from Steam that Steam also has Xbox versions for I just download the Xbox version of the games I already own.

Like I said before, PC games will not play on Xbox, but since I have games I purchased from Steam that Steam also has Xbox versions for I just download the Xbox version of the games I already own.

If you can get it to work, cool.
If I bought an Xbox all I would be doing is downloading the Xbox versions. When was the last time you were on Steam? When was the last time you looked as game OS compatibility for each game?

No there are many more than that now.

Half-life 2, all three
Left4dead 1 and 2

What else? I guess some indies, but for triple A's that's about it.

I've got Borderlands 2, a Diablo type game called Torchlight 2 which I think was relatively popular. Dota 2 is Steam's most popular game and it's playable on Linux. Counterstrike and Team Fortress are popular Steam games as well.

However, if you want to have a large library of top tier games available, Linux is not the way to go (unless you're willing to use Wine and hope your game will work).

Half-life 2, all three
Left4dead 1 and 2

I've got Borderlands 2, a Diablo type game called Torchlight 2 which I think was relatively popular. Dota 2 is Steam's most popular game and it's playable on Linux. Counterstrike and Team Fortress are popular Steam games as well.

However, if you want to have a large library of top tier games available, Linux is not the way to go (unless you're willing to use Wine and hope your game will work).
More and more games are being written for and/or adapted for Linux. The times they are a changin' but many people still associate Linux with the Linux of the 80s and 90s, even into the early 2000s. Like I pointed out in another thread, while Linux is remaining statistically flat growth wise in the US it's starting to make headway outside of the US especially in the mobile systems arena. If the US would do what Europe and many other countries in Asia are doing, combining cellular technology with tablets, you would see a big growth in Linux usage, specifically Ubuntu which was the first to develop the combined multi-platform OS.
Barring any unforeseen situation down the road I doubt seriously that Linux will become a major player in the US as Microsoft has a virtual lock on most users when it comes to desktops and laptops but ya never know.....
:dunno:

Half-life 2, all three
Left4dead 1 and 2

More and more games are being written for and/or adapted for Linux. The times they are a changin' but many people still associate Linux with the Linux of the 80s and 90s, even into the early 2000s. Like I pointed out in another thread, while Linux is remaining statistically flat growth wise in the US it's starting to make headway outside of the US especially in the mobile systems arena. If the US would do what Europe and many other countries in Asia are doing, combining cellular technology with tablets, you would see a big growth in Linux usage, specifically Ubuntu which was the first to develop the combined multi-platform OS.
Barring any unforeseen situation down the road I doubt seriously that Linux will become a major player in the US as Microsoft has a virtual lock on most users when it comes to desktops and laptops but ya never know.....

At this point it's still a very small list of top-end games that are being ported to Linux. I've been doing a lot of looking at that lately, which is why I'm considering buying another Windows for the new PC. I have been pretty happy with Linux Mint, even if there are a few hiccups, but I'm afraid I'll end up having to use Wine for most games and that it won't work too often for my tastes.

I wish more games did get Linux releases, but it's just not popular enough as a desktop OS. :(

Half-life 2, all three
Left4dead 1 and 2

At this point it's still a very small list of top-end games that are being ported to Linux. I've been doing a lot of looking at that lately, which is why I'm considering buying another Windows for the new PC. I have been pretty happy with Linux Mint, even if there are a few hiccups, but I'm afraid I'll end up having to use Wine for most games and that it won't work too often for my tastes.

I wish more games did get Linux releases, but it's just not popular enough as a desktop OS. :(
True and some of the Linux crowd are purists and would never use some of the background programs need to run many of the more popular games. That said it's still a market that hasn't been properly tapped by the big game developers. The games are slowly being ported, it's growing but slowly right now, just a few years ago the choices were extremely limited and look what's happening now, give it time but until then we'll have to rely on a dedicated gaming platform like Windows, PS4 or Xbox.
Instead of a dedicated Windows gaming desktop why not look into PS4 and Xbox as an alternative?

Half-life 2, all three
Left4dead 1 and 2

True and some of the Linux crowd are purists and would never use some of the background programs need to run many of the more popular games. That said it's still a market that hasn't been properly tapped by the big game developers. The games are slowly being ported, it's growing but slowly right now, just a few years ago the choices were extremely limited and look what's happening now, give it time but until then we'll have to rely on a dedicated gaming platform like Windows, PS4 or Xbox.
Instead of a dedicated Windows gaming desktop why not look into PS4 and Xbox as an alternative?

No, I'm a PC gamer. I don't mind playing the occasional console game, I have a PS3 5 feet away from me right now, but I have long preferred PC games. The games can usually be gotten cheaper (I rarely buy games when they come out and console games have a habit of staying expensive longer), some of the types of games are better with PC controls (I prefer mouse/keyboard for FPS) and the big MMO games have been PC games.

I also spend a lot of my free time on the computer, whether playing games or watching shows or wandering the internet, so sticking to the PC makes sense for me. :)

Just to put numbers to the difference in game availability, if you go to the Steam store, they show a total of 14,102 items available. When you narrow that to Windows, it goes to 14,084. Narrow it to Mac you get 5,079. Narrow it to Linux you get 2,991.

Narrow it to Linux you get 2,991.
That's a lot more than when I checked a year ago so they are coming along.

I hope the trend continues that way, I just don't know if there are enough Linux users for the game companies to feel it is worth their while to port them over, and of course they aren't going to be willing to let third parties do it. :(

If I bought an Xbox all I would be doing is downloading the Xbox versions. When was the last time you were on Steam? When was the last time you looked as game OS compatibility for each game?

I was on Steam yesterday, I saw no Xbox games at all. Many of the games carried by Steam have Xbox versions, but the Xbox versions are not on Steam.

No, I'm a PC gamer. I don't mind playing the occasional console game, I have a PS3 5 feet away from me right now, but I have long preferred PC games. The games can usually be gotten cheaper (I rarely buy games when they come out and console games have a habit of staying expensive longer), some of the types of games are better with PC controls (I prefer mouse/keyboard for FPS) and the big MMO games have been PC games.

I also spend a lot of my free time on the computer, whether playing games or watching shows or wandering the internet, so sticking to the PC makes sense for me. :)

Just to put numbers to the difference in game availability, if you go to the Steam store, they show a total of 14,102 items available. When you narrow that to Windows, it goes to 14,084. Narrow it to Mac you get 5,079. Narrow it to Linux you get 2,991.

The problem is that most of those Linux games are low end indie games. Valve wanted to create a Linux based Steam Machine and ported their games, but other than them and idies, there hasn't been much support.

I must have misconstrued some things, looks like I had it wrong, Did a little more research and it appears those games are available in Xbox and through Steam for PCs so from what I can tell know there are no Xbox games on Steam (for now). My initial readings seemed to show there were games for Xbox on Steam, I wish the idiots who write these articles would be more clear as to what they mean.
Sorry for the confusion, my bad.

Forum List

Back