Minimum wage argument

I'm always curious about those opposed to a minimum wage....

How do you determine the wages paid to someone who doesn't have a set deliverable...how much should someone make who, lets say, installs a computer.

If there are 2500 people for me to choose from in my area who can do this, the compensation would be less than if there were 5 people... If the service of installing a computer only leads me to $25 profit an hour, I will pay much less than if it brings me $100 an hour...

You determine the wages on lots of things... not because the government says that every worker deserves 'x' amount even if they could be replaced by a trained ape or simple machine

How do you determine the wages paid to someone who doesn't have a set deliverable...how much should someone make who, lets say, installs a computer.

However much someone else wants to pay them.

If there are 2500 people for me to choose from in my area who can do this, the compensation would be less than if there were 5 people... If the service of installing a computer only leads me to $25 profit an hour, I will pay much less than if it brings me $100 an hour...

You determine the wages on lots of things... not because the government says that every worker deserves 'x' amount even if they could be replaced by a trained ape or simple machine

So how much would it be?

So how much would it be?

You have not given enough information to answer the question.. but like a typical progressive, you just want an arbitrary number than either makes you feel good or that you can use to mocjk the person who posted it

Not playing your silly reindeer game

Maybe it's just me... But shouldn't this guy thought better of procreating if all he was making was less than $7.25 an hour? Which brings me to my next question: Why is it the consumers responsibility to subsidize (through higher prices) lazy bums who obviously lack initiative to make something better for themselves? If you ask me, those jobs are meant for students for some extra money, nothing more. When did a Guidance Counselor ever ask a student while they were in High School if their desire was to make a career out of being a "Sandwich artist" at Subway? The answer is... They didn't.
cmimg_73856.jpeg

So the wage in company A is determined by the wage paid at Company B?

Company B? Not sure what you're getting at. The determination of how much a given service or product is worth is relative and entirely subjective. There are as many answers to that question as there are people. Ultimately it's up to the employer and employee coming to an agreement on the wage. If they can't agree, they are both free (or at least ought to be) to make other arrangements.

How many people know how to install a computer? How much would it cost to train someone to do it, and how many people are capable of learning how?

That determines the wage more than anything else.

Now compare that to how many people know how to fry chicken nuggets, and how much it costs to train someone to fry nuggets, and how many people are capable of learning how.

If you are 25 years old, and the only thing you know is how to fry nuggets, that's your fault.

If you have never held a job for more than a year, that's your fault. If you think you should be put in charge even though you have never worked a job for more than a year, you need a serious attitude adjustment.

A wage is EARNED.

Stay in school. Stop fucking around. Stop job hopping. You'll go places.

Last edited:
Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

But there are labor laws. And we used to light our homes with oil lanterns...so what?

Those laws exist because the government decided to put them in place. The post I responded to says it's not up to the government to decide such things.

So the question remains...Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

Laws which Union organizers forced the gov to enact. And I think we all agree that unions had their uses back in the day.

the gov't has an obligation to maintain a minimum standard of living for everyone including those who are not enterprisers and who live their lives happily wishing not to have anything to do with economic complexities or the capitalist system.

The only person who has an obligation to maintain your minimum standard of living is YOU. So get to work. Don't expect someone else to carry your lazy ass.

I thought the guy was being sarcastic...

But there are labor laws. And we used to light our homes with oil lanterns...so what?

Those laws exist because the government decided to put them in place. The post I responded to says it's not up to the government to decide such things.

So the question remains...Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

It's a long leap from protecting children to a guaranteed income for irresponsible people.

It's a longer leap from anything I said to anything you're claiming I said.

So how much would it be?

You have not given enough information to answer the question.. but like a typical progressive, you just want an arbitrary number than either makes you feel good or that you can use to mocjk the person who posted it

A guy installs a desktop computer. Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, CPU... On a desk.

What more information do you need?

It was in Scottsdale, Arizona lets say.

Company B? Not sure what you're getting at. The determination of how much a given service or product is worth is relative and entirely subjective. There are as many answers to that question as there are people. Ultimately it's up to the employer and employee coming to an agreement on the wage. If they can't agree, they are both free (or at least ought to be) to make other arrangements.

So the argument is now...whatever the employee can get is the amount he/she is paid is how much should be paid?

Oh..Company B was the "someone else" I thought you were referring to.

So how much would it be?

A guy installs a desktop computer. Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, CPU... On a desk.

And just How in the hell are we supposed to know the computer repair business climate in Scottsdale?

So how much would it be?

Jesus christ are you dense... How saturated is the skill in the workforce? How much does it cost to train... is the person experienced or in need of training? What is the going rate for the install in that area to determine rate you can pay for labor, travel, equipment, tools, etc?

You are simply looking for an arbitrary number when the REALITY (you know, the thing you progressive don't like to live in) is much different.... My salary here in the Dulles tech corridor is much different than it would be in DesMoines, or Seattle, or Bangor... it is much different than it was when I was an innovator in the field than it is for engineers coming in now... It is much different now as a junior executive when there are many on the market thanks to the economic downturn.... You simply ignore the fact that there are MANY factors for how much you pay for a job... and it does not take away from the fact that a wage is negotiated between the employer and the employee(or potential employee) and if one does not like it, they have the freedom to leave, look elsewhere, change what they are looking for, change what skill is being offered, etc...

You are simply obtuse

Oh..Company B was the "someone else" I thought you were referring to.

Ahh.. no. "Someone else" is just whoever it is you're hoping will pay you. How much your services are worth to them is entirely dependent on their situation. If they don't need what you have to offer, it's worth nothing (to them). There's no such thing as 'intrinsic value' when it comes to market worth.

Some people want to work only when they want to, they want to get things handed to them, they don't put forth the effort to further their own education, and when they do go to College they don't take it seriously and fail miserably. Tell me what a company would find attractive about hiring a person like that for anything more than what the Market will bear, and why the rest of us need to pay more to subsidize losers with no ambition? Sorry... If you don't like your paycheck, find someplace else to work and make room for a kid looking for extra spending money. Banging away on cash registers at McDonalds should not be viewed as a career choice, and the fact that losers view it as exactly that simply is not my, or my wallets problem.

Forum List

Back