Minneapolis Police Officer to Muslim Teen: I'm Going To Break Your Leg, I Feel Like Arresting You

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

When officers ordered him out of the car, a young man hit record on his smartphone, and he captured not-so-polite words from police.

"Plain and simple, if you f--- with me, I'm going to break your leg before you get the chance to run. I'm being honest I don't screw around,” the officer said.

Mohamed's friend said in return, “I never said I was going to run.”

"I'm just giving you a heads up. Just trying to be officer friendly right now,” the officer said.

Faysal Mohamed, 17, sent Fox 9 the video recorded by his friend, which he also posted on his Twitter account. He said after playing basketball at the YMCA on Blaisdell Avenue in south Minneapolis with friends on March 18, police pulled over their car. The four were ordered out, put in hand cuffs, and they waited nearly 45 minutes as police searched their vehicle and did background checks.

“Can you tell me why I'm being arrested?” a friend asks in the video.

“Because I feel like arresting you,” the officer replied.

Officers eventually told them they were suspected of stealing the car and they were let go without being arrested. Mohamed and his friends are of Somali descent and said they feel they were racially profiled, but also said the officer was simply disrespectful without a reason. A Minneapolis police spokesperson said the incident is under investigation and they are unable to comment.

Mylan Masson, a former Minneapolis Police Officer, now teaches at the Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Education Center in Brooklyn Park.

“We teach the students to be polite, and we always say sir and ma'am,” she said.

Masson said the other officers in the video did just that, but the lone officer heard using profanities and making a threat is not the way police are trained to handle traffic stops.

“I certainly would want to know the whole call and see what happened, what provoked him or her to do something and then to retrain them and then say this is not appropriate,” Masson said.

The Minneapolis Police Department keeps record of all traffic stops, but asked Fox 9 to file a data practices request before they can release more information. Masson says depending on the officer's history, he could be given some type of reprimand.

Did the cop actually break someone's leg? Then STFU, cop hater.

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

When officers ordered him out of the car, a young man hit record on his smartphone, and he captured not-so-polite words from police.

"Plain and simple, if you f--- with me, I'm going to break your leg before you get the chance to run. I'm being honest I don't screw around,” the officer said.

Mohamed's friend said in return, “I never said I was going to run.”

"I'm just giving you a heads up. Just trying to be officer friendly right now,” the officer said.

Faysal Mohamed, 17, sent Fox 9 the video recorded by his friend, which he also posted on his Twitter account. He said after playing basketball at the YMCA on Blaisdell Avenue in south Minneapolis with friends on March 18, police pulled over their car. The four were ordered out, put in hand cuffs, and they waited nearly 45 minutes as police searched their vehicle and did background checks.

Officers eventually told them they were suspected of stealing the car and they were let go without being arrested. Mohamed and his friends are of Somali descent and said they feel they were racially profiled, but also said the officer was simply disrespectful without a reason. A Minneapolis police spokesperson said the incident is under investigation and they are unable to comment.

Mylan Masson, a former Minneapolis Police Officer, now teaches at the Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Education Center in Brooklyn Park.

“We teach the students to be polite, and we always say sir and ma'am,” she said.

Masson said the other officers in the video did just that, but the lone officer heard using profanities and making a threat is not the way police are trained to handle traffic stops.

“I certainly would want to know the whole call and see what happened, what provoked him or her to do something and then to retrain them and then say this is not appropriate,” Masson said.

The Minneapolis Police Department keeps record of all traffic stops, but asked Fox 9 to file a data practices request before they can release more information. Masson says depending on the officer's history, he could be given some type of reprimand.

Did the cop actually break someone's leg? Then STFU, cop hater.

Making the threat is against the law. It's called assault. You or I would be subject to prosecution for it. Whether he did or did not follow through is irrelevant. That is the difference between assault and battery. If the cop threatened the man with breaking his leg he broke the law. It's not cop hating...it's respecting the law that cops are subject to just like everyone else.

It'sOTE="ClosedCaption, post: 11139204, member: 25032"]
I would just like to remind everyone that this is an isolated incident. Get a grip.

Hahahaha...just a series of isolated incidents over and over...state by state. Lol
Incidents committed by a very small minority.

Isolated incident that happens over and over...state by state...but it's only a small amount...that is happening frequently lol. That's a tough sell bud lmao[/QUOTE]
It's also hard to swallow the idea that that there is institutional racism in police departments across the country. Unless your a racist, that is.

Nigerians are used to cops actually breaking their legs, not just talking about it. These cop haters screaming "police state!" are like spoiled rotten teenagers who have never experienced real hardship in their lives so they invent their dramas.

Let's ship assholes like you to North Korea so you can see what real police brutality looks like.

It'sOTE="ClosedCaption, post: 11139204, member: 25032"]
I would just like to remind everyone that this is an isolated incident. Get a grip.

Hahahaha...just a series of isolated incidents over and over...state by state. Lol
Incidents committed by a very small minority.

Isolated incident that happens over and over...state by state...but it's only a small amount...that is happening frequently lol. That's a tough sell bud lmao
It's also hard to swallow the idea that that there is institutional racism in police departments across the country. Unless your a racist, that is.[/QUOTE]
Sure it is
imrs.php

E-mail forwarded by Ferguson’s court clerk to two police supervisors in 2011.

imrs.php

Thats in Ferguson

Heres San Fran:

San Francisco police chief moves to fire cops over racist texts MSNBC

One of the text messages read “All n*****s (expletive) hang,” according to NBC Bay Area.

In another text message, an unidentified officer asks the convicted sergeant, Ian Furminger, “Do you celebrate [Kwanzaa] at your school?” Furminger replies, “Yeah, we burn the cross on the field. Then we celebrate Whitemas.”
he video, which officers sent among themselves, included Ku Klux Klan hoods, racist and homophobic comments and disparaging and derogatory insinuations about President Obama.

One of the text messages in the Florida case boasted, “We are coming and drinking all your beer and killing n*****s.”

And just last week, three former corrections officers in Florida were arrested by the FBI in a bizarre Ku Klux Klan murder plot to kill a former inmate the officers had once guarded.

According to an NBC report, Charles Thomas Newcomb, Thomas Driver and David Moran – alleged members of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan – had planned to kill a formerly incarcerated black man who apparently bit one of the men during a jailhouse fight.

Just an Isolated Incident...State by State...Department by department....Just a small number of non racist LOL...Anymore excuses?

Bunch of whiney ass babies.

Bullshit. If the police detain you, they have a legal obligation to inform you of what crime they suspect you of committing. "I feel like arresting you" doesn't cut it. I don't know the whole situation so I will reserve judgement, but if you are being detained and ask why you are being detained the cop has to tell you the crime you are suspected of and provide reasonable evidence of suspicion.

The police do not have to tell you that you are a suspect or that they intend to arrest you, but if they use force or a show of authority to keep you from leaving, they probably consider you a suspect, even if you were the person who called the police. If they read or recite your Miranda rights, they suspect you have committed a crime.

OSBA Your Rights if Questioned Stopped or Arrested by the Police

No the Officer Doesn t Have to Announce the Offense When He Makes An Arrest UPDATE Although Some State Laws May Require Such Notice - The Volokh Conspiracy

As the Court explained in Devenpeck v. Alford, 543 U.S. 146 (2004): “While it is assuredly good police practice to inform a person of the reason for his arrest at the time he is taken into custody, we have never held that to be constitutionally required.” In Devenpeck, the Court rejected a requirement that probable cause for an arrest must be measured by reference to the offense that the officer named at the time of arrest. Such a rule was improper because it hinged on the subjective belief of the officer, and because it would have “perverse” consequences:

Except in this case he did give the reason, I have been mistaken.

He felt like it.

Oh, ok, they weren't arrested...

The four were ordered out, put in hand cuffs, and they waited nearly 45 minutes as police searched their vehicle and did background checks.

Officers eventually told them they were suspected of stealing the car and they were let go without being arrested.

OP

Looks like a standard police state cuffing and detention without charge or cause or reason given. Land of the free.

Last edited:
What rights were violated? They were inconvenienced is all.

My wish for you is to be pulled over for no reason, jerked from your car, handcuffed, held for an hour or so, Then released with no explanation,

I really hope that happens to you. If you are white, I hope its a black cop. If you are black, a white cop.

But either way, what you need is some first hand experience as to how rights can be violated.

What rights were violated? They were inconvenienced is all.

My wish for you is to be pulled over for no reason, jerked from your car, handcuffed, held for an hour or so, Then released with no explanation,

I really hope that happens to you. If you are white, I hope its a black cop. If you are black, a white cop.

But either way, what you need is some first hand experience as to how rights can be violated.
What rights were violated?

It's a simple question.

Forum List

Back