Minnesota Police Reform Bill fails in state legislature

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz voiced frustration after a police reform bill failed to pass the state Legislature Saturday.

"I don't know how in this regard for me to stay kind of above that as a statesman in this other than finding myself as a really angry citizen," Walz said. "That is just irresponsible and malpractice of what should have happened here."

Walz said he'll own his share of the blame for why the bill wasn't passed, but he is still there to get the deal done while others have gone home.

The governor said that he felt that relationships were being repaired before the bill failed.

"I have to tell you I question how serious it was to reach some type of deal," Walz said.

Walz said he is worried that the public will be mad that the bill wasn't finished and urged his counterparts to "come back to this Capitol and we'll decide on this."

I'm thinking the police union killed the effort. We'll see.

Added:

Ultimately, legislators could not reach a deal that reconciled the Democrats’ calls for far-reaching changes to police oversight with Republican leaders who supported a shorter list of “common-sense police reforms” that included banning chokeholds in most situations and requiring officers to stop their colleagues from using unreasonable force.

Democrats said the plan passed by the Republican-led Senate consisted of tepid half-steps that were already in place in most law-enforcement agencies and did not rise to the moment’s calls for dramatic action. Republicans balked at the proposals passed by the Democrat-controlled House to restore voting rights to tens of thousands of felons and put the state’s attorney general, Keith Ellison, a Democrat, in charge of prosecuting police killings.

I don't see where allowing felons the right to vote should be included in this police reform bill, or that Keith Ellison should be put in charge of prosecuting police killings. Sounds like politics as usual to me, lining him up for a presidential run in 2024.

Further: (same link)

At midnight, Democrats in the House shared a counteroffer, dropping several significant demands, including their proposals that the attorney general investigate police killings and that people convicted of felonies be allowed to vote. As they shared the plan with reporters, the lights in the Capitol building switched off. The lawmakers stayed, and the lights flickered back on, but as the sun rose in the morning and a deal still could not be reached, they went home.

Shot me down there. Got no idea what the counter offer was. But I still have to ask what happens when the police union challenges in court whatever the reforms end up being. I don't think the legislature can arbitrarily decide to change the union contract. Wondering if they intend to bust the union.

Last edited:
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz voiced frustration after a police reform bill failed to pass the state Legislature Saturday.

"I don't know how in this regard for me to stay kind of above that as a statesman in this other than finding myself as a really angry citizen," Walz said. "That is just irresponsible and malpractice of what should have happened here."

Walz said he'll own his share of the blame for why the bill wasn't passed, but he is still there to get the deal done while others have gone home.

The governor said that he felt that relationships were being repaired before the bill failed.

"I have to tell you I question how serious it was to reach some type of deal," Walz said.

Walz said he is worried that the public will be mad that the bill wasn't finished and urged his counterparts to "come back to this Capitol and we'll decide on this."

Time to burn down the capital I guess. They'll just let them do it.

THERE ISN'T NOR SHALL NEVER BE any "police reform" bill that satisfies BLM and the Idiot Left that the police union won't reject outright as untenable, unlivable, unbelievable and unrealistic putting all their officer's lives at risk, in which case, they might as well fucking walk off the force and say FUCK YOU.

Last edited:
THERE IS NOR SHALL NEVER BE any "police reform" bill that satisfies BLM and the Idiot Left that the police union won't reject outright as untenable, unlivable, unbelievable and unrealistic putting all their officer's lives at risk, in which case, they might as well fucking walk off the force and say FUCK YOU.
.....blacks will never be satisfied with anything--they are fkd up--plain and simple-undeniable ......

....THE problem is not the police--but blacks' high crime rates and low grad rates--DUH
The problem with the police is that if someone walks by you on Day One and spits on you . . .
If they walk by you on Day Two and slap you . . .
Then walk by you on Day Three and kicks you . . .

When they walk by you on Day Four, you're prepared for and expecting a fight and not ready to take any more shit!

And THAT is what they call a "police problem."

.....blacks will never be satisfied with anything--they are fkd up--plain and simple-undeniable ......
Why should they? When everyone else complains of unfair taxation, they tell us to PAY UP OR ELSE!

When everyone else complains of low wages and unfair working conditions, they tell us, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE.

When everyone else bitches of excessive food costs, brutal school boards, crooked politicians and tyrannical public schools, they tell us, THAT'S LIFE.

But Blacks are of a special class. When they complain, they get their boots kissed, cities turned over to them and national leaders bowing in servitude.

Why should they ever be satisfied when they know they will just get more by complaining?

Forum List

Back