Miss. Walmart may press charges in EBT card glitch

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards.

“We haven’t made any type of determination. Our focus continues to be on our customers,” Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said regarding the disturbance Saturday that briefly closed down the Walmart in Philadelphia.

When asked if it was a possibility that the company would file charges, she said, “I wouldn’t say that, but, we are continuing to look into the situation.”

“We’re looking into everything, looking at surveillance video and working with the local police,” Whaling said Sunday.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131015/NEWS01/310150037/

I would not be adverse to boycotting Wal Mart until they press charges. We all know the theft is going to be passed on to us actual paying customers in the form of price increases.

Even though the system was down, it's no excuse for people to steal. I hope charges are filed against those that took what didn't belong to them.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
I believe the minute the store realized there was a problem with the cards, they should have stopped accepting them. All the needed was a sign outside the entrance. I use my citi card for everything so I can get air mileage points. If it didn't work properly they wouldn't let me use that. I know the checkers knew roughly how much people buy on those cards each month. There was no excuse for either side. I would bet at least a cyber dollar that those of us who actually pay money for our purchases will shoulder the cost either in taxes or higher prices.

The EBT glitch was not Walmart's fault. They should not be responsible for anything including the spoilage for the carts abandoned when the glitch was fixed.

What happens when the bank makes an error and someone ends up with ten trillion dollars in their account and then goes on a shopping spree?

Same thing.

I believe the minute the store realized there was a problem with the cards, they should have stopped accepting them. All the needed was a sign outside the entrance. I use my citi card for everything so I can get air mileage points. If it didn't work properly they wouldn't let me use that. I know the checkers knew roughly how much people buy on those cards each month. There was no excuse for either side. I would bet at least a cyber dollar that those of us who actually pay money for our purchases will shoulder the cost either in taxes or higher prices.

I hate to say it but if the EBT system was shut down there would be riots in the streets.

People were pissed off Saturday when the EBT system was down.

Yeah? Were they pissed off enough to go out and get a job?

Alot of people on food stamps do work.

No argument there, I could just as easily say that alot of people on food stamps don't work....So?

The greater point is that if their job level, or their education level is not enough to support themselves, and their families, then they need to do something to change that, no?

Machiavelli said that a government is only as good as its ability to enforce its laws. The US has the ability to contain and control a riot. We have the National Guard and riot control police units. Choosing not to use them is not the same as not having them.

I still say this was far to organized. It feels like something done deliberately to hurt Wal-Mart.

I was admonished once not to confuse malice with incompetence. I would give you that same admonishment.

So ignore what right in your face because others dont see it? If I am wrong I am wrong but I wont be silent just because I might make others uncomfortable.

I still say this was far to organized. It feels like something done deliberately to hurt Wal-Mart.

I was admonished once not to confuse malice with incompetence. I would give you that same admonishment.

So ignore what right in your face because others dont see it? If I am wrong I am wrong but I wont be silent just because I might make others uncomfortable.

For the kind of conspiracy you claim happened, there would have to be someone in government high functioning enough and capable of making it happen. If you think there is anyone in government who functions at that level, I have a bridge in the Sahara I would like to sell you.

Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards.

“We haven’t made any type of determination. Our focus continues to be on our customers,” Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said regarding the disturbance Saturday that briefly closed down the Walmart in Philadelphia.

When asked if it was a possibility that the company would file charges, she said, “I wouldn’t say that, but, we are continuing to look into the situation.”

“We’re looking into everything, looking at surveillance video and working with the local police,” Whaling said Sunday.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131015/NEWS01/310150037/

I would not be adverse to boycotting Wal Mart until they press charges. We all know the theft is going to be passed on to us actual paying customers in the form of price increases.

Not sure if the people can be accused of theft because they technically "paid" for any items that left the store, and followed proper procedure, i.e. went to a cashier, had the items rung up, then "paid" for them and left.

I am curious to know if WalMart did follow proper EBT procedures (if they exist) on what to do when the system glitches like this.

The option of making anyone who overbilled on thier card have it deducted from future purposes (say 1/4 of the value of the monthly benefit per month until paid back) would be preferrable to me, and would lessen the "TEH CHILDRENZ" whining if it was done all at once.

For the kind of conspiracy you claim happened, there would have to be someone in government high functioning enough and capable of making it happen. If you think there is anyone in government who functions at that level, I have a bridge in the Sahara I would like to sell you.
No it doesn't need someone high in government....This was localized so they only need someone local.

Yeah? Were they pissed off enough to go out and get a job?

Alot of people on food stamps do work.

No argument there, I could just as easily say that alot of people on food stamps don't work....So?

The greater point is that if their job level, or their education level is not enough to support themselves, and their families, then they need to do something to change that, no?

I suppose so.

Why did the store allow those thieves to leave the store?

A quick phone call to the local Police Department and only folks with (a) no Wal-Mart goods in their cars or (b) a paid receipt for those goods - gets to leave the parking lot.

What's left gets fingered by store loss-prevention, searched, arrested and booked.

Even if you have to call-in the County or the State to help.

Last edited:
Why did the store allow those thieves to leave the store?

A quick phone call to the local Police Department and only folks with (a) no Wal-Mart goods in their cars or (b) a paid receipt for those goods - gets to leave the parking lot.

Sorry we don't live in that kind of nation.

Forum List

Back