Miss. Walmart may press charges in EBT card glitch

Not sure if the people can be accused of theft because they technically "paid" for any items that left the store, and followed proper procedure, i.e. went to a cashier, had the items rung up, then "paid" for them and left.

I am curious to know if WalMart did follow proper EBT procedures (if they exist) on what to do when the system glitches like this.

The option of making anyone who overbilled on thier card have it deducted from future purposes (say 1/4 of the value of the monthly benefit per month until paid back) would be preferrable to me, and would lessen the "TEH CHILDRENZ" whining if it was done all at once.

It's not payment when the card is declined

Were the cards actually declined?

No, they had no limits on them.

And what is the lesson you take away from that? What truth is self-evident in such an admission?

Assistance has become a life style in this country.

The thing about being treated like a stray cat, is so long as they feed you, you will never leave. If you hand-feed a wild animal, like a raccoon or rabbit, it will never learn to feed itself. And so the recipient of the welfare feels like they deserve it, no matter what, that other people OWE them. But they also know they are dependent on government, and so will eventually become resentful and bitter, because while they do not where shackles and chains, they are a slave just the same. So in order to clear out the noise inside their heads that they know they are providing nothing to society, and that they contribute nothing, they numb themselves, with food, entertainment and stuff, and as a group they feel empowered to demand more, and there are people in government and the private sector who thrive off that greed and foster it, putting the blame for poverty and welfare on "other factors or forces". Personal responsibility is not even an element in the discussion, just victimhood and entitlements.

And then how do we turn that around?

They are not slaves. Slaves are required to work.

Oppressed? Yes, they are oppressed, and they have allowed themselves to be oppressed by selling out for $500 a month and food stamps.

Not sure if the people can be accused of theft because they technically "paid" for any items that left the store, and followed proper procedure, i.e. went to a cashier, had the items rung up, then "paid" for them and left.

I am curious to know if WalMart did follow proper EBT procedures (if they exist) on what to do when the system glitches like this.

The option of making anyone who overbilled on thier card have it deducted from future purposes (say 1/4 of the value of the monthly benefit per month until paid back) would be preferrable to me, and would lessen the "TEH CHILDRENZ" whining if it was done all at once.

First paragraph of the linked article tells us,
"[COLOR=/a]Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards."
:eusa_whistle:
[/COLOR]

The thing about being treated like a stray cat, is so long as they feed you, you will never leave. If you hand-feed a wild animal, like a raccoon or rabbit, it will never learn to feed itself. And so the recipient of the welfare feels like they deserve it, no matter what, that other people OWE them. But they also know they are dependent on government, and so will eventually become resentful and bitter, because while they do not where shackles and chains, they are a slave just the same. So in order to clear out the noise inside their heads that they know they are providing nothing to society, and that they contribute nothing, they numb themselves, with food, entertainment and stuff, and as a group they feel empowered to demand more, and there are people in government and the private sector who thrive off that greed and foster it, putting the blame for poverty and welfare on "other factors or forces". Personal responsibility is not even an element in the discussion, just victimhood and entitlements.

Oppressed? Yes, they are oppressed, and they have allowed themselves to be oppressed by selling out for $500 a month and food stamps.

For some people it is much higher than $500 a month.

Why did the store allow those thieves to leave the store?

A quick phone call to the local Police Department and only folks with (a) no Wal-Mart goods in their cars or (b) a paid receipt for those goods - gets to leave the parking lot.

What's left gets fingered by store loss-prevention, searched, arrested and booked.

Even if you have to call-in the County or the State to help.

Thats great PR for walmart huh? I can see the head lines now. "WAL-MART HAS POOR ARRESTED FOR COMPUTER GLITCH!"
Good point.

Did they make such a conscious decision, or was it dumb acceptance or even cowardice?

A merchant has the right to be paid for his goods.

It is the law.

Break the law and you are subject to criminal prosecution.

Your mode of payment is immaterial.

Absolutely immaterial.

There should be zero wiggle-room for negotiation on such a point, IMHO.

PR difficulties or no.

It sets far too dangerous a precedent, for a merchant-company with a great deal to lose, should those particular floodgates be opened.

Choices: (1) take the short-term PR 'hit', or (2) set yourself up as a 'mark' and 'soft-touch'.

To my way of thinking, (1) is the more appealing of those two choices.

And I don't see a third choice in this one.

But that's just me.

There may, indeed, be ways to defuse and handle such a situation on-the-scene, which were not conjured-up and implemented in this case, but allowing customers to leave without paying is not the answer.

I wonder if the Wal-Mart store manager on-duty at the time has been fired yet?

If not, it's probably only a matter of time.

Last edited:

No, they are slaves, they are slave to their own choices, slaves to the stipend. They don't work for it, but their contribution is far worse than that; rather giving their labor, they give their liberty, their self-respect, their chance to be happy.

We are not talking about people living the life of Reilly, we're talking about useless cattle, and deep down they know it, which is why creature comforts and substance abuse is rampant.

First paragraph of the linked article tells us,
"[COLOR=/a]Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards."
:eusa_whistle:
[/COLOR]

I think this is different then than the ones where the card's limits werent enforced and people were able to "ring up" whatever they want.

In the case you are stating, yes, thats shoplifting.

Why did the store allow those thieves to leave the store?

A quick phone call to the local Police Department and only folks with (a) no Wal-Mart goods in their cars or (b) a paid receipt for those goods - gets to leave the parking lot.

What's left gets fingered by store loss-prevention, searched, arrested and booked.

Even if you have to call-in the County or the State to help.

Thats great PR for walmart huh? I can see the head lines now. "WAL-MART HAS POOR ARRESTED FOR COMPUTER GLITCH!"
Good point.

Did they make such a conscious decision, or was it dumb acceptance or even cowardice?

A merchant has the right to be paid for his goods.

It is the law.

Break the law and you are subject to criminal prosecution.

Your mode of payment is immaterial.

Absolutely immaterial.

There should be zero wiggle-room for negotiation on such a point, IMHO.

PR difficulties or no.

It sets far too dangerous a precedent, for a merchant-company with a great deal to lose, should those particular floodgates be opened.

Choices: (1) take the short-term PR 'hit', or (2) set yourself up as a 'mark' and 'soft-touch'.

To my way of thinking, (1) is the more appealing of those two choices.

And I don't see a third choice in this one.

But that's just me.

There may, indeed, be ways to defuse and handle such a situation on-the-scene, which were not conjured-up and implemented in this case, but allowing customers to leave without paying is not the answer.
Wal-Mart is fucked regardless. No way they look good here. Even though they are the victim the media will never show that. They are suing and as you see they are painting them as just greedy monsters passing the blame. If they raise priced to recoup the loss? They will be shown as evil greedy monsters trying to skin the poor. If they just ignore it they are unwittingly shouldering the blame for this. Say they fire the managers ? They will be shown as blaming their employees for a computer glitch.... This was a perfect storm for them. No matter what they do the Media are going to eviscerate them. It is to damn perfect if you ask me.

Oh, and, I just caught this...

The article says: "...Attempted to walk out..." - and not "...did walk out..."

Still, I don't know if that changes anything.

The anger of somebody whose food-stamps debit card is not being accepted is no defense (legally or ethically) for trying to walk out of a store without tendering payment.

The store could not control the good working order of the debit cards.

The customers, on the other hand, did, indeed, have control of their actions.

Those people know what their normal monthly allowance is. To know something is wrong on that end and take advantage of it is pretty much stealing. It was deliberate on their part. They should be penalized for it by being dropped from the system for good.

Those people know what their normal monthly allowance is. To know something is wrong on that end and take advantage of it is pretty much stealing. It was deliberate on their part. They should be penalized for it by being dropped from the system for good.

I am sure the government will get right on that LOL

I am sure the government will get right on that LOL

We all know they won't. There should be consequences for those that took advantage of something they knew was wrong. It's stealing, plain and simple. They made that choice for themselves.

Forum List

Back