Miss. Walmart may press charges in EBT card glitch

The amount of monies the EBT recipients received changed the first of OCT. It was reduced because of the special legislation increasing the aid had a time limit on it.

Those people know what their normal monthly allowance is. To know something is wrong on that end and take advantage of it is pretty much stealing. It was deliberate on their part. They should be penalized for it by being dropped from the system for good.

Well, I haven't heard any statements from Obama like, 'if I had an EBT card, that's the EBT card I would have.' Oh wait, he does have an EBT card. It just isn't called that. Well, I wonder if the White House chef is seasoning dog the way Obama likes it. Maybe some little canned specialty number from China along with his caviar. :evil:

Dog is better eatin' than cat. Cats are good for guitar strings and tennis rackets. Puppies are good for inner lining of gloves.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131015/NEWS01/310150037/

I would not be adverse to boycotting Wal Mart until they press charges. We all know the theft is going to be passed on to us actual paying customers in the form of price increases.

Hm, I could be wrong, but as I understand it, theft is normally something that's against the law and punished

Certainly used to be. Most stores now will ask someone they KNOW has shoplifted to turn the items over to manager, then they tell them not to return. If the person confronted starts to balk, they let them leave. Employees are required not to get into any confrontations with suspected thieves. Seriously, they do not call the police.

They do here.

People were pissed off Saturday when the EBT system was down.

Which justifies stealing from WalMart how, exactly? It was the government that screwed up EBT, all WalMart wanted to do was prove all the haters wrong by not kicking people that legitimately had the funds when the government screwed up. I understand the government not wanting to eat the consequences of WalMart's policy, I don't understand anyone defending the thieves.

I didn't justify anyone taking anything dude.

No, you didn't.

We have such a 'pore but proud' culture here in KY, that most here, blacks or whites, would not buy more than they knew was on their card. Now, in Louisville, all bets are off. But many many people here get all their meat by hunting, so they wouldn't be starving if the system went down for a day or two. And they would be helping one another. During the ice storm of 2009 when every other state hit was getting all kinds of notoriety, the bubbas here came out of the woods with their chain saws and cleared the roads. They looked after their neighbors to be sure they had everything needed to make it until the lights came back on. We were quick to set up shelters for people in town and there were a lot of donations to running them.

Speaking of donations, every fall we have a Telethon of Stars to benefit our Easter Seal Center. While everywhere else in the country they get more pledges than actual money, our telethon takes in far more in money than it gets in pledges.

You just have to consider the cultural make up of the people involved. It is sickening that people would do that. And I think the Walton family has enough money they could do some profit sharing with their employees. But the stuff belonged to them, not to the people who took it.

You can look down your noses at us all you want, but this wouldn't not have happened here.

Last edited:
All the people that took advantage of this should be prosecuted. I have no tolerance for what amounts to stealing at tax payer expense. Walmart will be compensated because they can write it off as a loss but the perps need to be educated on the consequences.

The only thing that will happen is those that got more than allotted for the month will pay it back at a rate of 25% per month until it is paid off.

Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards.

“We haven’t made any type of determination. Our focus continues to be on our customers,” Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said regarding the disturbance Saturday that briefly closed down the Walmart in Philadelphia.

When asked if it was a possibility that the company would file charges, she said, “I wouldn’t say that, but, we are continuing to look into the situation.”

“We’re looking into everything, looking at surveillance video and working with the local police,” Whaling said Sunday.

I would not be adverse to boycotting Wal Mart until they press charges. We all know the theft is going to be passed on to us actual paying customers in the form of price increases.

They should press charges,those people committed theft and fraud. There has to be a way of EBT users of knowing how much cash they had in the account. the stores shouldn't have allowed any purchases until the system was up.

Which justifies stealing from WalMart how, exactly? It was the government that screwed up EBT, all WalMart wanted to do was prove all the haters wrong by not kicking people that legitimately had the funds when the government screwed up. I understand the government not wanting to eat the consequences of WalMart's policy, I don't understand anyone defending the thieves.

It wasn't the government that messed up - it was Xerox.

The only thing that will happen is those that got more than allotted for the month will pay it back at a rate of 25% per month until it is paid off.

That depends on whether the government considers this to be theft or an overpayment. Some overpayments do not have to be paid back. I know of several instances where vets were overpaid for $25,000 and because they could show that paying it back would cause an undue hardship, the debt was forgiven.

Theft is something different altogether.

Walmart has not ruled out pressing charges against customers who allegedly attempted to walk out of one of its Mississippi stores with groceries that hadn’t been paid for after a computer glitch left them unable to use their food stamp cards.

“We haven’t made any type of determination. Our focus continues to be on our customers,” Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said regarding the disturbance Saturday that briefly closed down the Walmart in Philadelphia.

When asked if it was a possibility that the company would file charges, she said, “I wouldn’t say that, but, we are continuing to look into the situation.”

“We’re looking into everything, looking at surveillance video and working with the local police,” Whaling said Sunday.

They should press charges,those people committed theft and fraud. There has to be a way of EBT users of knowing how much cash they had in the account. the stores shouldn't have allowed any purchases until the system was up.

There is. They can get their balances checked at the service desk. I've heard them doing that.

It wasn't the government that messed up - it was Xerox.

I have never known a computer system to be perfect. I think the computer medical records the VA has is second to none. But there were times it went down and those of us with sense had planned for that eventuality. I had a hard copy of my forms and when the system went down, I did my notes by hand. Then I entered them when it came back up.

No one, can expect a computer system to be 100% functional 100% of the time. That is why I carry enough cash to get home whether I travel in the US or abroad.

Many POS systems allow up to a certain amount to be purchased when the system is down. What happens is the purchases are batched and sent through later when the system comes up. I dont know if the EBT system was down or just malfunctioning but it sounds like it was a malfunction which would point to the providers system messing up. You better believe there is way to track who bought what. Everytime you dont use cash you are getting tracked.

Many POS systems allow up to a certain amount to be purchased when the system is down. What happens is the purchases are batched and sent through later when the system comes up. I dont know if the EBT system was down or just malfunctioning but it sounds like it was a malfunction which would point to the providers system messing up. You better believe there is way to track who bought what. Everytime you dont use cash you are getting tracked.

What you buy is also being tracked when you use those store cards. I use them because you get a few dollars off each trip and if the store is going to hand me $5.00 every time I shop, I'm going to accept it. But they aren't doing it out of charity. They are trending their sales to the various populations of shoppers.

All of this from a government system screw up...My, my, my....I can't wait until health care is totally in their hands.....

All of this from a government system screw up...My, my, my....I can't wait until health care is totally in their hands.....

Well, I didn't trust Medicare, so I worked until I could retire and have my work insurance as well.

Well, I didn't trust Medicare, so I worked until I could retire and have my work insurance as well.

I'm pretty much expecting that Medicare will implode before I am eligible. And ObamaCare is pretty much DOA (not that I want that horror).

I'd like to have a concierge medical service where I pay for routine stuff and then have a catastrophic policy when I retire.

I'm pretty much expecting that Medicare will implode before I am eligible. And ObamaCare is pretty much DOA (not that I want that horror).

I'd like to have a concierge medical service where I pay for routine stuff and then have a catastrophic policy when I retire.

BINGO!!!! I heard a doctor talking about that on the radio last week, sounds amazing!

I didn't justify anyone taking anything dude.

Funny, I don't recall saying you did, I was just explaining my view of what happened, yet you feel offended.

Interesting.

Dude what the hell is wrong with you? we have been around here for a while, why would you come at me this way? you addressed the post as if I did defend it, which is bullshit.

Your response to the thread was that people were pissed off. I pointed out that doesn't justify theft, and you got offended.

Get over it.

It doesn't.

This is a disgusting display of low moral character.

I have to wonder who at Walmart told the LA stores to take the cards without approval? Seems they would be fired by now?

If someone had advised, "Allow up to $30-40, just make sure it's all food," might have made some sort of sense.

I was working at non-Walmart in IL when system wasn't working, we didnt know it was widespread, thought it was 'our store' problem We apologized and told them to 'try back later.' No pay=no goods.

Thats what they did here, just put signs the system was down. Nobody got anything free.

I bet there weren't any riots either.

Forum List

Back