Miss. Walmart may press charges in EBT card glitch

People were pissed off Saturday when the EBT system was down.

Yeah? Were they pissed off enough to go out and get a job?

Most of the people with EBT cards probably do have jobs.

Yeah, that is a guess on your part, no way for you to quantify that unless you know each and every person that was involved. Further, what these people were doing by using their card, knowing that the balance was already emptied was committing fraud. Now, I don't care if you want to give them a pass or not because of their financial status, the bottom line is that it was an illegal act for them to perpetrate this fraud, therefore, either they pay the money back that they defrauded, or go to jail. You don't get to break the law when you fail to make a certain amount of money per year.

I believe the minute the store realized there was a problem with the cards, they should have stopped accepting them. All the needed was a sign outside the entrance. I use my citi card for everything so I can get air mileage points. If it didn't work properly they wouldn't let me use that. I know the checkers knew roughly how much people buy on those cards each month. There was no excuse for either side. I would bet at least a cyber dollar that those of us who actually pay money for our purchases will shoulder the cost either in taxes or higher prices.

The place where I shop put up a sign saying they weren't accepting EBT cards on Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that WalMart saw THIS going on-

walmart.jpg

and didn't think something was up.

I think they just didn't care. They figured the Government was going to cover the difference and take it up with the offending recipiants later.

Now that the government is saying "Uh-uhhhh", they are looking to press charges. WHich is kind of like trying to find the bank robbers a week after they robbed your bank.

no

they were so mad they

threatened "Rodney King" style riots over it

And sadly, some in here are actually saying that WalMart should have to pay for that....Since when is the felonious action of a person the fault of the victim?

When the "victim" is a co-conspirator.

Again, Walmart knew something was up. They processed the transactions anyway.

no

they were so mad they

And sadly, some in here are actually saying that WalMart should have to pay for that....Since when is the felonious action of a person the fault of the victim?

You'll notice that not all Walmarts had these problems, most just said, "Sorry, try again later,' like all other retailers. These two LA Walmarts, along with the 'corporate' person they called, are the real issue. Yes, I still think there should be repercussions for those that exceeded their EBT limits by more than a few $$.

no

they were so mad they

You'll notice that not all Walmarts had these problems, most just said, "Sorry, try again later,' like all other retailers. These two LA Walmarts, along with the 'corporate' person they called, are the real issue. Yes, I still think there should be repercussions for those that exceeded their EBT limits by more than a few $$.

maybe it had to do with location

in South Los Angels the EBT system went down didnt work at all

the people on the streets went bunkers

calling for "Rodney King" style riots

one was to wonder what would have happened at the location

where the EBT cards worked without an ending balance

and the store simply cut the EBT system off

I'd like a link to the LA story. I was working in IL when EBT went down, like many states. When not 'accepted' their purchases were denied, "I'm sorry, you may try again later." Not a problem.

I'd like a link to the LA story. I was working in IL when EBT went down, like many states. When not 'accepted' their purchases were denied, "I'm sorry, you may try again later." Not a problem.
Yes... that's a puzzler for me, as well; that's the way I thought it worked, too.

Any store that allows customers to walk-out without paying is probably violating its own corporate policy, and heads (local-yokel store management) are likely to roll.

no

they were so mad they

When the "victim" is a co-conspirator.

Again, Walmart knew something was up. They processed the transactions anyway.

Nonsense. Walmart is a business, not a gov regulator.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Why didn't wal-Mart stop these shoppers? Bad store management. Maybe they were in on it?

Bull shit! Its not any retailers job to question your purchase when the method of payment you are using is approved.

Being in Management of retail myself I will tell you right now the store management should have put a stop to it. Since they didn't they are ether culpable or just incompetent. It takes nothing to print out a sign that says EBT is down till further notice.

Why didn't wal-Mart stop these shoppers? Bad store management. Maybe they were in on it?

Bull shit! Its not any retailers job to question your purchase when the method of payment you are using is approved.

Being in Management of retail myself I will tell you right now the store management should have put a stop to it. Since they didn't they are ether culpable or just incompetent. It takes nothing to print out a sign that says EBT is down till further notice.

The glitch caused "unlimited" balances on the cards...you go right ahead and try to stop someone from buying on an approved card, see what you get.

The glitch caused "unlimited" balances on the cards...you go right ahead and try to stop someone from buying on an approved card, see what you get.

Common sense says NO ONE gets thousands of dollars in EBT.

Forum List

Back