Mitch McConnell: We must cut Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security to reduce the deficit

Do you support cutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security?

• Total voters
Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell blamed spending on these services for the growing budget deficit and wants to rein them in:
"It's very disturbing, and it's driven by the three big entitlement programs that are very popular: Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid. That's 70 percent of what we spend every year," he said on Bloomberg News Tuesday when asked about the national debt. "There's been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully at some point here we'll get serious about this. We haven't been
McConnell eyes cuts to Medicare, Social Security to address deficit

The Headline is misleading. It should be that something must be done about entitlements which make up the biggest potion of the federal budget.

Total spending

A pie chart representing spending by category for the US budget for 2007
The President's actual budget for 2007 totals $2.8 trillion. Percentages in parentheses indicate percentage change compared to 2006. This budget request is broken down by the following expenditures:

• $586.1 billion (+7.0%) - Social Security
  • $548.8 billion (+9.0%) - Defense[10]
  • $394.5 billion (+12.4%) - Medicare
  • $294.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare
  • $276.4 billion (+2.9%) - Medicaid and other health related
  • $243.7 billion (+13.4%) - Interest on debt
  • $89.9 billion (+1.3%) - Education and training
  • $76.9 billion (+8.1%) - Transportation
  • $72.6 billion (+5.8%) - Veterans' benefits
  • $43.5 billion (+9.2%) - Administration of justice
  • $33.1 billion (+5.7%) - Natural resources and environment
  • $32.5 billion (+15.4%) - Foreign affairs
  • $27.0 billion (+3.7%) - Agriculture
  • $26.8 billion (+28.7%) - Community and regional development
  • $25.0 billion (+4.0%) - Science and technology
  • $20.5 billion (+0.8%) - Energy
  • $20.1 billion (+11.4%) - General government
Much of the costs of the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war until FY2008 have been funded through supplemental appropriations or emergency supplemental appropriations, which are treated differently from regular appropriations bills. Senior congressional leaders have contended that those war costs, as much as possible, should go through the regular budget process, which provides for greater transparency. Determining the costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is complex. CBO has estimated that "war-related defense activities" in 2007 were "roughly $115 billion." (CBO, The Budget and Economic Outlook: An Update, August 2007, Box 1-1, available at <Congressional Budget Office>) See Below for total defense spending.

This from 2007 @ https://en.wikipedia.orhttps://en.w...budget/wiki/2007_United_States_federal_budget

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell blamed spending on these services for the growing budget deficit and wants to rein them in:
"It's very disturbing, and it's driven by the three big entitlement programs that are very popular: Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid. That's 70 percent of what we spend every year," he said on Bloomberg News Tuesday when asked about the national debt. "There's been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully at some point here we'll get serious about this. We haven't been

The Headline is misleading. It should be that something must be done about entitlements which make up the biggest potion of the federal budget.

Total spending

The President's actual budget for 2007 totals $2.8 trillion. Percentages in parentheses indicate percentage change compared to 2006. This budget request is broken down by the following expenditures:

Much of the costs of the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war until FY2008 have been funded through supplemental appropriations or emergency supplemental appropriations, which are treated differently from regular appropriations bills. Senior congressional leaders have contended that those war costs, as much as possible, should go through the regular budget process, which provides for greater transparency. Determining the costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is complex. CBO has estimated that "war-related defense activities" in 2007 were "roughly $115 billion." (CBO, The Budget and Economic Outlook: An Update, August 2007, Box 1-1, available at <Congressional Budget Office>) See Below for total defense spending.

This from 2007 @ https://en.wikipedia.orhttps://en.w...budget/wiki/2007_United_States_federal_budget
Social security is mostly self-funded. Can we get a better pie chart.

Total spending

Not hard to do. Just use the search feature of your browser.

I never thought this would happen. I voted for Trump in the primaries, and for him again in the general election. I love his presidency and his accomplishments, but all of a sudden now the bottom is starting to fall out of the Republican party.

Mitch McConnell is saying that we now need to cut Social Security and Medicare. Whaaat ? Is this man crazy ? He's not alone. He's got Paul Ryan on board with him. Hopefully, if these nutjobs go through with this in the Congress, Trump will shut it all down with a presidential veto.

The Newsweek article I saw on this said that Democrats are ready to pounce on Republicans who put this forward, They're not the only ones. A lot of us Republicans will pounce on them too, as I'm doing right now.

1. If you want to kill the Republican party, this is the sure way of doing it. Older people vote in droves, and will simply not tolerate cuts in our already too small incomes. This would be the greatest gift Republicans could ever give to Democrats.

2. Older people have worked their butts off for 50 or 60 years, paying into this. Not right to cut it back from them.

3. If you want to cut entitlements, how about getting rid of millions of illegal foreigner leeches, who are sucking up waay too much of the federal budget ? Jail politicians passing sanctuary city laws. Abolish birthright citizenship for kids of foreigners.

4. Cut govt waste, but Social Security and Medicare are not waste.
The Republican Party died a long time ago. It is dead, dead, dead.

I held out hope for far too long that the membership would wake up to the fact the party has been hijacked by hucksters, liars, hypocrites, bigots, and retards. I finally gave up last year and retired my lifetime Republican membership and changed my voter registration to Independent.

As for Social Security and Medicare, we need to immediately raise the eligibility age to 70. We are living DECADES longer than our ancestors who established Social Security. We should be working longer. That's just plain common sense.

If we raised the eligibility age to 70, and automatically indexed it to 9 percent of the population going foward, then eliminated the $1.4 trillion of tax expenditures (government gifts) in our tax code, we would find ourselves with a MASSIVE budget surplus which we could use to lower tax rates for EVERYONE and pay down the debt.

I agree, not only getting rid of expenditures for all, but getting control of way out of control spending in DC.

Total spending

Not hard to do. Just use the search feature of your browser.
Defense is not self-funded and the right wing claims everything Must be fine since we can indulge tax cut economics and not engage, real times of War tax rates, since it Must not be That serious under any objective form of Capitalism. We get what we Pay for.

As a somewhat young person (29), my greatest wish is for all these programs to be cut to nothing, and for the people who rely on them to die in a gutter. I don't want to pay for their worthless lives. Fuck em.

OK, enough with the food fight.

The answer is to balance the Budget, which in 2019 has a $900b hole that adds to the Debt. A "politically acceptable" compromise seems to be cutting spending by $500b (medicaid + welfare + defense) and raise taxes by $500b (a 7% across the board increase above 2016 rates). That still leaves the $21T Debt and the $383b annual interest payments on the Debt. If we can sell assets to pay of the Debt, terrific. But we can't keep going on and on borrowing a $trillion a year.

The answer is to balance the Budget, which in 2019 has a $900b hole that adds to the Debt. A "politically acceptable" compromise seems to be cutting spending by $500b (medicaid + welfare + defense) and raise taxes by $500b (a 7% across the board increase above 2016 rates). That still leaves the $21T Debt and the $383b annual interest payments on the Debt. If we can sell assets to pay of the Debt, terrific. But we can't keep going on and on borrowing a $trillion a year.

Never gonna happen. Republicans only care about balancing budgets when democrats are in power. And democrats don't care about balancing the budget.

Never gonna happen. Republicans only care about balancing budgets when democrats are in power. And democrats don't care about balancing the budget.
Nether side cares............As long as they are paid by lobbies they do what they are paid to do...........Don't see the establishment types going down anytime soon..............

Strap in............or don't...........who cares.

As a somewhat young person (29), my greatest wish is for all these programs to be cut to nothing, and for the people who rely on them to die in a gutter. I don't want to pay for their worthless lives. Fuck em.
Such anger from a youngster who see's his future..........follows the left like a sheep........brainwashed into policies that ensure his own destruction............

You don't get a happy ending............

Such anger from a youngster who see's his future..........follows the left like a sheep........brainwashed into policies that ensure his own destruction............

I didn't know the left wanted to cut social welfare programs. Hmm ...

Nether side cares............As long as they are paid by lobbies they do what they are paid to do...........Don't see the establishment types going down anytime soon..............

I like the selling mineral rights idea to pay down the Debt, if those numbers are accurate. It would have to be done slowly over time so the market prices aren't distorted. The numbers I heard are that for leases in the Gulf the US gets 12% of the production revenue. Not sure how that translates over the long term, the oil industry can only work so many leases at a time. Tariffs are also a cash infusion, as long as China wants to play hardball.

They don't want to, but the alternative is ZERO when the programs go bankrupt. Would they want half a loaf or nothing??

They don't want to cut anything........they will do nothing to ensure you have a future............they will with the other side spend us into oblivion.............The unfunded liabilities can not be paid without drastic change.............Keep electing them and the rest of the Establishment............they will be nice to you.............with the knife to your back........that is where we are headed........

Ignore it........be blind ...........I simply don't care.........That is the path...........

I like the selling mineral rights idea to pay down the Debt, if those numbers are accurate. It would have to be done slowly over time so the market prices aren't distorted. The numbers I heard are that for leases in the Gulf the US gets 12% of the production revenue. Not sure how that translates over the long term, the oil industry can only work so many leases at a time. Tariffs are also a cash infusion, as long as China wants to play hardball.
We are the Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas........Energy is big business and a path to a better tomorrow..........

Not without dealing with the unfunded liabilities.

They don't want to cut anything........they will do nothing to ensure you have a future............they will with the other side spend us into oblivion.............The unfunded liabilities can not be paid without drastic change.............Keep electing them and the rest of the Establishment............they will be nice to you.............with the knife to your back........that is where we are headed........

Ignore it........be blind ...........I simply don't care.........That is the path...........

Both parties are made of the same disgusting garbage. They're both shit. Voting is pretty pointless, tbh.

Both parties are made of the same disgusting garbage. They're both shit. Voting is pretty pointless, tbh.
Must be getting older then.........as you get older you realize they are both BS.

Agreed, the "establishment" wings of both parties are shit brained coxuckers. However, Trump appears to be different, which is why the "never-Trumpers" left the GOP. Trump is requiring fair trade, and is bringing back manufacturing jobs. I don't see Trump as the same globalist assholes as the establishment wings of both parties.

Agreed, the "establishment" wings of both parties are shit brained coxuckers. However, Trump appears to be different, which is why the "never-Trumpers" left the GOP. Trump is requiring fair trade, and is bringing back manufacturing jobs. I don't see Trump as the same globalist assholes as the establishment wings of both parties.
That is why both sides are trying to destroy him.........he isn't playing their game.........but I say that with caution.........given that the border funding isn't being fought for as it should. I don't agree with the complete Wall.......but I do agree we need to stop the mass migration...........Numbers USA lays it out pretty good.

Total spending

Its just using different words to say the same thing.
2ng6zc63idt11.jpg

Forum List

Back