Mitch McConnell: We must cut Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security to reduce the deficit

Do you support cutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security?

• Total voters
Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell blamed spending on these services for the growing budget deficit and wants to rein them in:
"It's very disturbing, and it's driven by the three big entitlement programs that are very popular: Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid. That's 70 percent of what we spend every year," he said on Bloomberg News Tuesday when asked about the national debt. "There's been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully at some point here we'll get serious about this. We haven't been
McConnell eyes cuts to Medicare, Social Security to address deficit

NOBODY has suggested cuts. SOME Dems have suggested making 70 yr old roofers climb ladders til they are eligible or "raising the caps" --- which would destroy the Universally of the program and make it another welfare program.

There were options for FIXING SS back when it was running surpluses of $50Bill a year by allowing future recipients to agree to REDUCED future benefits by opting out a SMALL percentage of their contributions. The Dems --- who are generally financially and mathematically illiterate KILLED the idea. Instead -- they allowed the surplus to continue to be STOLEN by Congress with NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT in terms of reducing future costs.

So I'm all for ideas to make the program more stable for future gens, but not at a cost to the folks who WANT complete future benefits. And the WHINERS and the shrill idiots with NO IDEAS should just STFU... And quit PREVENTING the discussions to enhance the financial efficacy of the system...

$4 TRILLION stolen and squandered from the pockets of the working poor over the past 40 years and NOTHING to pay current deficits with. You were robbed TWICE. The first time why they overcharged you for 40 years and squandered the money. And NOW --- when the crisis hits, paying all deficits thru NEW DEBT that is in your name and in your childrens' name.

HIDING from this --- is why it's now an emergency. 70% of the budget is Medicare, Medicaid and SS and debt payments. If interests go UP -- 120% of the budget will be funded with nothing but bonds bought by China and the world.
McConnell suggested cuts. Don’t play dumb.

Next time just say, "Wah….banks are bad"

You'll sound less stupid and it'll save time.
Sure does.............now go back to being their parrots......squak on.

I love your 8 year old article that refutes it's own whiney question.
I could show that banks, rather than borrowing from the Fed, on May 20th, 2010, were
actually net lending the Fed over $2 trillion.

But that would be too factual for you.
I could care less what you think about it anymore.

Now be a good boy and bundle some toxic assets and trade them back and forth til someone gets stuck with them in the end and crashes the deck of cards again.....

Make it more interesting.............Bag up some cow manure and trade it.........That would be load now wouldn't it.........

Or, I could whine like you...…...
Whatever.........the Markets juggled shit that wasn't worth the paper it was wrote on ..........and fucked the entire country.......

Whining.......I call it treason.........We will choose to fucking disagree as always on this subject............I don't give a fuck what you think on this .....reckon we are clear on the whining on BS on this.

the Markets juggled shit that wasn't worth the paper it was wrote on

Yup. Trillions in crappy mortgages.
Mortgages that wouldn't have been stopped by Glass-Steagall.

Whining.......I call it treason........

Well, you're an idiot.

I don't give a fuck what you think on this ..

And I don't give a fuck about your uneducated feelings on this.

Sure does.............now go back to being their parrots......squak on.

I could show that banks, rather than borrowing from the Fed, on May 20th, 2010, were

Now be a good boy and bundle some toxic assets and trade them back and forth til someone gets stuck with them in the end and crashes the deck of cards again.....

Make it more interesting.............Bag up some cow manure and trade it.........That would be load now wouldn't it.........

Whatever.........the Markets juggled shit that wasn't worth the paper it was wrote on ..........and fucked the entire country.......

Whining.......I call it treason.........We will choose to fucking disagree as always on this subject............I don't give a fuck what you think on this .....reckon we are clear on the whining on BS on this.

Well, you're an idiot.

Feelings mutual on this subject..........so be it..

as you whine.
Whatever.........I agree with him on many issues.......on how the markets crashed and the aftermath.........No dang chance........

They knew dang well what they were doing.........and the so called TARP that played on the news was a smoke screen while they went to the Federal Reserve's back door........It took a Supreme Court Order to reveal those amounts............and once released the Media didn't say jack squat.....

The Stimulus part of the so called bail out was lining the pockets of their favorite industry and nothing more. I watched good people lose their homes back then.........

No dice on being nice on that.

and the so called TARP that played on the news was a smoke screen

A smoke screen that added badly needed capital to the banks.

while they went to the Federal Reserve's back door

The short term loans were needed to prevent rolling bank failures like we experienced in the 1930s.
They were needed and they were mostly over by June 2009.

The Fed didn't lose a dollar on these overnight loans.

It took a Supreme Court Order to reveal those amounts............and once released the Media didn't say jack squat...

Because they were over-collateralized and totally repaid.
Why do you give a shit if Goldman Sachs borrowed $50 billion and rolled it over for a few months?
Or Merrill or Bank of America or Citicorp?

The Stimulus part of the so called bail out was lining the pockets of their favorite industry and nothing more.

The stimulus was Obama paying off his friends.
TARP and Fed loans were totally different and made a profit.
Completely different from Obama's payoff to unions.

Well, you're an idiot.

Feelings mutual on this subject..........so be it..

Don't confuse your feelings with my facts.

Dpy4cAxXUAABTtK.jpg

Yes, it's a heist. Don't be fooled.
Doesn't sound likely. Why would Republicans want to cut Medicare and Social Security ? What does that do FOR THEM ? Other than lose a torrent of votes ?

First thing police look for in a "Heist" is a motive. Where's the motive here ?

Motive: HATRED for federal safety net programs!

Today’s Republicans want to avoid political accountability by destroying Social Security and Medicare without leaving clear fingerprints.

The Republicans are desperate to destroy Social Security and Medicare. These two programs demonstrate government at its best. The federal government runs these two extremely popular programs more efficiently, universally, securely, and effectively than the private sector does with its alternatives — or indeed could, no matter how well those private sector programs were designed.

Because Social Security and Medicare are government programs that work so well, the Republican elite — with its seemingly religious belief that the private sector is always the best — hates them. So obsessed are the Republicans in their desire to eliminate these effective government programs that the very first action that House Republicans took in the new Congress was to adopt a rules package that included a new rule that amounts to a stealth attack on Social Security and Medicare.

The Republican Obsession With Dismantling Social Security And Medicare

Dpy4cAxXUAABTtK.jpg

Doesn't sound likely. Why would Republicans want to cut Medicare and Social Security ? What does that do FOR THEM ? Other than lose a torrent of votes ?

Today’s Republicans want to avoid political accountability by destroying Social Security and Medicare without leaving clear fingerprints.

The Republicans are desperate to destroy Social Security and Medicare. These two programs demonstrate government at its best. The federal government runs these two extremely popular programs more efficiently, universally, securely, and effectively than the private sector does with its alternatives — or indeed could, no matter how well those private sector programs were designed.

Because Social Security and Medicare are government programs that work so well, the Republican elite — with its seemingly religious belief that the private sector is always the best — hates them. So obsessed are the Republicans in their desire to eliminate these effective government programs that the very first action that House Republicans took in the new Congress was to adopt a rules package that included a new rule that amounts to a stealth attack on Social Security and Medicare.

the right wing seems to, "hate it" when the Poor may benefit.

Dpy4cAxXUAABTtK.jpg

The federal government runs these two extremely popular programs more efficiently, universally, securely, and effectively than the private sector does with its alternatives —

If you look at the 12.4% of your annual earnings taken by Social Security and you look at your eventual benefits received and still think it's an effective, efficient program.....you're worse at math than I first thought.

Get rid of those programs and cut military spending to 1/3 it's current level.

Keep taxes at current levels and set aside an investment fund that will pay for government costs in the future, and keep that in place until there is no longer a need for taxes.

I should be running the show.

:dance:
No problem.

Just cut me a Treasury check for my lifetime contributions to Social Security and Medicare and I'll be on my way.

Dpy4cAxXUAABTtK.jpg

The federal government runs these two extremely popular programs more efficiently, universally, securely, and effectively than the private sector does with its alternatives —

If you look at the 12.4% of your annual earnings taken by Social Security and you look at your eventual benefits received and still think it's an effective, efficient program.....you're worse at math than I first thought.
compensation for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment is more cost effective.

We are a federal Republic; left wing management provides for the general welfare better.
True, but that is the general WORLD welfare, when their job is to provide for the general USA welfare. Too many people are still not catching this important distinction.

And it is the US taxpayer who is paying for that left wing WORLD welfare.

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell blamed spending on these services for the growing budget deficit and wants to rein them in:
"It's very disturbing, and it's driven by the three big entitlement programs that are very popular: Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid. That's 70 percent of what we spend every year," he said on Bloomberg News Tuesday when asked about the national debt. "There's been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully at some point here we'll get serious about this. We haven't been
McConnell eyes cuts to Medicare, Social Security to address deficit

NOBODY has suggested cuts. SOME Dems have suggested making 70 yr old roofers climb ladders til they are eligible or "raising the caps" --- which would destroy the Universally of the program and make it another welfare program.

There were options for FIXING SS back when it was running surpluses of $50Bill a year by allowing future recipients to agree to REDUCED future benefits by opting out a SMALL percentage of their contributions. The Dems --- who are generally financially and mathematically illiterate KILLED the idea. Instead -- they allowed the surplus to continue to be STOLEN by Congress with NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT in terms of reducing future costs.

So I'm all for ideas to make the program more stable for future gens, but not at a cost to the folks who WANT complete future benefits. And the WHINERS and the shrill idiots with NO IDEAS should just STFU... And quit PREVENTING the discussions to enhance the financial efficacy of the system...

$4 TRILLION stolen and squandered from the pockets of the working poor over the past 40 years and NOTHING to pay current deficits with. You were robbed TWICE. The first time why they overcharged you for 40 years and squandered the money. And NOW --- when the crisis hits, paying all deficits thru NEW DEBT that is in your name and in your childrens' name.

HIDING from this --- is why it's now an emergency. 70% of the budget is Medicare, Medicaid and SS and debt payments. If interests go UP -- 120% of the budget will be funded with nothing but bonds bought by China and the world.
McConnell suggested cuts. Don’t play dumb.

No where in that article were cuts suggested. Could be FICA increases. Could be just structuring the program to reduce the length of the Baby Boomer crisis.

The article is a bunch of hooey.. Especially claiming that the tax cuts would not bring increased revenues as things shake out. Exactly like I said - the folks IMAGINING the evils of TALKING ABOUT fixing or even MANAGING these programs have no ideas. They've thwarted meaningful reforms that would have brought relief to the entitlement deficits that are being run today.. EVERYONE was aware of the Baby Boomer crisis 40 years ago. And now we are IN it. And we're not supposed to even discuss MANAGING these programs.

It's lines like this that drive me away from MSNBC..

"""The Senate GOP leader helped create this mess; he hasn’t earned the right to complain about it."""

That's so wrong. And it borders on evil. Because BOTH PARTIES caused this mess by stealing $4TRILL in FICA surpluses out of working peoples checks ---- and NOW BOTH PARTIES want to steal from us and our grandchildren to pay for the running deficits in FICA.

Forum List

Back