Modern females don't wear pantyhose!

way back in the 50s -- 60s I was so backward that I would not walk into the
the town library wearing pants ---called slacks way back. For the record----I HAD
TO WEAR A SKIRT OR DRESS Panty hose was an innovation of my teens and
damned (relatively speaking) expensive-------I did wear them-----have not for about 20
years------I intend to use my left over supply to store onions <SOME DAY?>====
presently I USE SOCKS -----for really formal occasions------like COURT-----I try
to use socks that as so long that the tops hide under the hem of my skirt in winter. -----
LONG MEN's SOCKS are best-------for the small footed female <like me> ----the
giant foot can be sewn up a bit <that is the FOOT OF THE SOCK> For spring,
summer, fall--------try to guess what is on my legs or on my feet-----shoved into
sneakers. I like the kind of sandals that kinda cover the toes---almost. Conclusion---
I am still backward in that I try to DECEIVE ---ie hide my barelegged condition

whatsign.gif

American notions about women's appearance have been, well, f*cked-up for a long time. In the 1970s, there was a L'eggs ad where a child at the zoo likens her mother’s stockings to the wrinkly legs of an elephant, which strangely incites the mother into buying new pantyhose instead of teaching that child not to say insulting things in public.

From my point of view, the child should have been back-slapped and confined to her room for a couple weeks [1] pointing out that her mother's hose were wrinkly, which in and of itself is a mere statement of fact with which nobody could really take exception or umbrage, but for doing so by saying her mom's legs looked like elephant legs. That a child may not have fully learned how to tactfully communicate indelicate messages should surprise nobody; however, 21st century America finds itself suffering myriad adults who revel in indecorous discourse. That we've become a boorish culture that tolerates such vulgar ways of expressing ourselves, is a by far bigger problem than is whether women don hose.

Note:
  1. ...Because no parent in their right mind takes their child out in public before having taught them at least the basics of etiquette, one such tenet being that in public, lacking something nice to say about another, one keeps mum.

FWIW, my wife preferred stockings to pantyhose. My daughter does too. I don't really know why, but neither do I care why. My sisters-in-law take objection to my daughter wearing stockings, but as they have no parental role, I don't give a damn about what they think about it.

Stockings and garters are what my daughter prefers, and inasmuch as she thinks it's déclassé to allow the clasps and straps to show, she chooses skirts and dresses that ensure that won't happen. That worked for me, so after her mother passed and I had to take on shopping with/for her, stockings and garters are what I bought her. She got to wear what she wanted to, and I got the peace of mind that comes with knowing my child's dressing sensibly. We both "won," and that's a good thing.

As for when she wears them, well, like the ladies I date, she wears stockings only when she's dressed to the nines...a cotillion (when she was of that age), a black-tie party, (maybe) an interview at an "old boy" organization, etc. The women who are my peers wear hose/stockings only to go to (semi) formal events. My casual observation of that suggests to me that there's a set of rules about what hose/stockings they can and can't wear on such occasions.

Those rules seem to have something to do with whether they'll wear open or closed toe/heel shoes. Apparently, with low-slung sandals, wearing hose/stockings is a "no-no."

pantyhose-with-sandals.jpg

...But with what I call "CFM" sandals, very sheer or patterned ones are okay.

IMG_20141117_0001.jpg

...But sometimes, especially in the summer, they deem not wearing hose/stockings is okay too, even though they are "dressed to kill" and attending a dressy event.

Jimmy-Choo-1200x700.jpg

For my part, I don't care one way or the other. As long as the ladies I date "look like a million bucks" when I'm in public with them, I'm good. I do the same for them because both the goose and the gander enjoy having fine arm candy.

Lastly, I think the senators noted in the OP's article are overly provincial in demanding their female staff wear hose.

Somewhat to the point of what I suspect may be part of how the Senator's thinking goes:
Thinking about roughly the same issue as it applies to men, I don't, in general, care whether my male staff wear socks to work, though for initial and senior level client-facing meetings, they had better. (or if they don't/didn't, I better not find out about it, for if should, they hear from me admonishment that they best not do so again.) Such wouldn't be a termination-level offense, but if it's repeated after one's having been instructed to wear socks in client facing situations, it would be career limiting. Mine is an "up or out" firm, so make of that what you will....

Asking for forgiveness rather than permission is a maxim we partners will at times tolerate, but upon receiving forgiveness, don't abuse it.
-- Something I said ages ago during a new-hires training session on firm policy​
Day-to-day in our offices or for staff assigned to a client facility where the client's client's dress code permits going sockless, I don't mind our male or female staff also going "sockless." At social yet business-related events, I expect men and women in the firm to use good sense; if they look appropriate overall, be they sockless/hoseless or not, I'll have nothing to say about it.

What's "appropriate?" Whatever I or any other partner says is appropriate. In other words, if a partner takes exception with one's attire, complaining to another partner(s) isn't going to do one any good no matter whether the second partner agrees with the first one. After all, we're talking about the workplace, sartorial bad judgment and grown-ups, here -- a contextual "triad," frankly, no partner wants to have to discuss, ever. I suspect the Senator is of the same mind.

We used to have a pantyhose policy at work, but now they have dropped it. Sometimes it's gross because even older women don't wear pantyhose, and some definitely should......

0226-feet-guess-who-launch-3.jpg

We used to have a pantyhose policy at work, but now they have dropped it. Sometimes it's gross because even older women don't wear pantyhose, and some definitely should......

Why do you say these types of things about older women when YOU are an older woman? Should they force you to wear panty hose because someone thinks you are too old not to?

FWIW, my wife preferred stockings to pantyhose. My daughter does too. I don't really know why, but neither do I care why. My sisters-in-law take objection to my daughter wearing stockings, but as they have no parental role, I don't give a damn about what they think about it.

Stockings and garters are what my daughter prefers, and inasmuch as she thinks it's déclassé to allow the clasps and straps to show, she chooses skirts and dresses that ensure that won't happen. That worked for me, so after her mother passed and I had to take on shopping with/for her, stockings and garters are what I bought her. She got to wear what she wanted to, and I got the peace of mind that comes with knowing my child's dressing sensibly. We both "won," and that's a good thing.

As for when she wears them, well, like the ladies I date, she wears stockings only when she's dressed to the nines...a cotillion (when she was of that age), a black-tie party, (maybe) an interview at an "old boy" organization, etc. The women who are my peers wear hose/stockings only to go to (semi) formal events. My casual observation of that suggests to me that there's a set of rules about what hose/stockings they can and can't wear on such occasions.

Those rules seem to have something to do with whether they'll wear open or closed toe/heel shoes. Apparently, with low-slung sandals, wearing hose/stockings is a "no-no."

pantyhose-with-sandals.jpg

...But with what I call "CFM" sandals, very sheer or patterned ones are okay.

IMG_20141117_0001.jpg

...But sometimes, especially in the summer, they deem not wearing hose/stockings is okay too, even though they are "dressed to kill" and attending a dressy event.

Jimmy-Choo-1200x700.jpg

For my part, I don't care one way or the other. As long as the ladies I date "look like a million bucks" when I'm in public with them, I'm good. I do the same for them because both the goose and the gander enjoy having fine arm candy.

Lastly, I think the senators noted in the OP's article are overly provincial in demanding their female staff wear hose.

Somewhat to the point of what I suspect may be part of how the Senator's thinking goes:
Thinking about roughly the same issue as it applies to men, I don't, in general, care whether my male staff wear socks to work, though for initial and senior level client-facing meetings, they had better. (or if they don't/didn't, I better not find out about it, for if should, they hear from me admonishment that they best not do so again.) Such wouldn't be a termination-level offense, but if it's repeated after one's having been instructed to wear socks in client facing situations, it would be career limiting. Mine is an "up or out" firm, so make of that what you will....

Asking for forgiveness rather than permission is a maxim we partners will at times tolerate, but upon receiving forgiveness, don't abuse it.
-- Something I said ages ago during a new-hires training session on firm policy​
Day-to-day in our offices or for staff assigned to a client facility where the client's client's dress code permits going sockless, I don't mind our male or female staff also going "sockless." At social yet business-related events, I expect men and women in the firm to use good sense; if they look appropriate overall, be they sockless/hoseless or not, I'll have nothing to say about it.

What's "appropriate?" Whatever I or any other partner says is appropriate. In other words, if a partner takes exception with one's attire, complaining to another partner(s) isn't going to do one any good no matter whether the second partner agrees with the first one. After all, we're talking about the workplace, sartorial bad judgment and grown-ups, here -- a contextual "triad," frankly, no partner wants to have to discuss, ever. I suspect the Senator is of the same mind.

You even have to write a "novel" about pantyhose? Good grief! Learn how to post on a messageboard.

I'm sure you would be able to see all of that right through panty hose anyways. They are sheer. Maybe you should come up with a rule that women over a certain age not be allowed to wear skirts or dresses or have their feet showing at all?

Why do you say these types of things about older women when YOU are an older woman? Should they force you to wear panty hose because someone thinks you are too old not to?

Of course not, but, some people should know when something looks gross.... but, to each his own....

I'm sure you would be able to see all of that right through panty hose anyways. They are sheer. Maybe you should come up with a rule that women over a certain age not be allowed to wear skirts or dresses or have their feet showing at all?

Some older women have great legs, some not so much. You can show off your gross veins if you want, but, I'm not sure why you would want to

Some older women have great legs, some not so much. You can show off your gross veins if you want, but, I'm not sure why you would want to

Who cares? It's legs and feet! It's not like her ass is hanging out!

Of course not, but, some people should know when something looks gross.... but, to each his own....

So? What if someone thought your face was gross? Should you have to cover it up?

Forum List

Back