Modesty

IndependantAce

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2014
On the whole I'd say the standards of modesty in behavior and dress in Western culture has declined; primarily thanks to the consumer economy and the baby boomer counter culture which took over the entertainment industry.

This is part of why traditional cultures such as the Islamic world hate the West; since the West often promotes women dressing like whores and behaving in an overall immodesty manner. This is what happens in progressive, consumerist cultures - they 'regress' into anarchy, which even the Islamic world is a step-up from in many ways.

Ideally if we could go back to 1950s standard of modesty I think this would be a good balance over the nihilism we have today; unsure of what direct ways we could go about achieving this, as removing smutty advertising and entertainment from public venues would run into problems with the 1st Amendment.

In the long run I think this will contribute to the fall of Western civilization much as it did the Roman empire, and when the economy crashes and we enter harder times, a lot of traditional values will end up resurfacing anyway, since this consumer economy can't sustain itself forever.

I think that traditional cultures can suck it.

I have no desire to go back to the 1950s.

I think excessive immodesty leads to anarchy; when society becomes too anarchic it is prone to collapse or being taken over by a stronger force.

The promotion of immodest women and men by the left-wing entertainment industry for example is just another step in their war against Western civilization.

I hated the low quarter shoes of the 1950's and the lame azz Keds sneekers..Not to mention that you had to had a flat top or a head full of pomade...

I think excessive immodesty leads to anarchy; when society becomes too anarchic it is prone to collapse or being taken over by a stronger force.

The promotion of immodest women and men by the left-wing entertainment industry for example is just another step in their war against Western civilization.
Ward, I need to talk to you about the beaver...

I hated the low quarter shoes of the 1950's and the lame azz Keds sneekers..Not to mention that you had to had a flat top or a head full of pomade...
Hey, still a lot better than a culture full of fat women in clothing 3 sizes too small who cuss and talk like only a Marine would have several decades ago.

Not to mention effiminate men who can't keep their wives in line.

Hey, still a lot better than a culture full of fat women in clothing 3 sizes too small who cuss and talk like only a Marine would have several decades ago.
They acted like assholes then also, just in a different way..

Yes, the modest 1950's, where normality was treating minorities like second class humans, so decent of them....

Well I see, yoou like having a woman follow you and speak only when spoken to..you have a distaste for freedom for women..I did like Jayne Mansfield's big boobs barely being held in when dressed in a low top dress...

Well I see, yoou like having a woman follow you and speak only when spoken to..you have a distaste for freedom for women..I did like Jayne Mansfield's big boobs barely being held in when dressed in a low top dress...
That's what we've become, a culture of voyeurs.

Man's nature isn't to stare at fantasy women on TV who he'll never in a snowball's chance in hell marry; his nature is to protect, provide, and conquer a woman worthy of making a wife and mother of his children.

Modern society has deviated so far from nature that I'm not sure there's any saving for it; might be better to just let it implode on itself and rebuild it from scratch. Russia and China seem to have not totally gone over the deep end like we have.

Man's nature isn't to stare at fantasy women on TV who he'll never in a snowball's chance in hell marry; his nature is to protect, provide, and conquer a woman worthy of making a wife and mother of his children.

Modern society has deviated so far from nature that I'm not sure there's any saving for it; might be better to just let it implode on itself and rebuild it from scratch. Russia and China seem to have not totally gone over the deep end like we have.
Then move to Russia...

I'm actually fine not having you Christian Taliban dictating every aspect of my life.

[

Ah and the true IndependentAce comes out.

who can't keep their wives in line

Not only does he want to dictate how Americans should dress- he thinks American wives need to be 'kept in line'

[ Russia and China seem to have not totally gone over the deep end like we have.

Interesting countries you have referred to

Russia- home of corruption, oligarchy, a government that jails dissenters, and has a huge prostitution issue- and whose women dress as 'immodestly' as Western women.

China- home of the only thriving Communist government- where the government doesn't allow dissent. But by god- the government knows how to keep those wives in line!

I think that traditional cultures can suck it.

I have no desire to go back to the 1950s.

The Future may not lay in a predictable direction but I guarantee that it is not behind us.

Freedom means free.

"Traditional" people can raise their kids any way they want, and I'll do the same.

Who gets to define what is and what isn't 'immodest'?

The United States is far too pluralistic to be held for long by one set of religious laws or another... just ask the Christians as their power here thins with every election.

One mans modesty is another mans oppressive Sharia Law - Until God Himself picks a Book and life-style, people should be free to choose.

Your opinion and $4 can get you an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Forum List

Back