Mom of Mauled Boy Says People More Concerned About the Dog

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Mom of Mauled Boy Says People More Concerned About the Dog

A Phoenix judge decided to keep the dog named Mickey alive instead of being euthanized. The dog will be defanged and remain in the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office MASH unit for the rest of his life without any chance of being adopted, according to Melissa Gable, a spokeswoman for the Maricopa County Animal Care and Control. Sheriff Joe Arpaio took custody of the dog Thursday.

Kevin’s mother, Floridalma Vicente, wants Mickey to be put down and she is taken aback by the online support to keep Mickey alive and opposed to having the dog serving a “life sentence.” There is even a Facebook page in Mickey’s behalf with over 70,000 likes

Mom of Mauled Boy Says People More Concerned About the Dog - ABC News

The boy won't be able to see from one eye and his food falls from his mouth due to muscle and nerves being damaged. Not to mention scaring.

I tend to agree with this boys mother, it seems more concern has gone towards the dog then the child.

I also wonder why taxpayers will have to take care of this dog for the rest of its life... and pay to have the dogs teeth removed, food and housing. Why not take care of a child who lost part of his face... Donations poured in for Mickey as opposed to Kevin.

It seems lopsided to me.

This just goes to show how sick this world have become. To me, what was done to the boy should be done to the dog because it is the only way that the dog would know what it did to the boy.

God bless you and the boy and his mom always!!!

Holly

How much did the dog suffer before he took such violent action? If the dog is going to be a unit member it's not a vicious dog. Likely taxpayers won't spend a dime on the dog. The deputies will chip in for a can of dog food and no doubt residents will give donations.

A neglected Phoenix dog called Mickey was chewing on a bone on his own property when a four-year-old boy wandered away from his babysitter and over to the dog. He attempted to pull the bone from Mickey’s mouth, and the dog bit him badly.

“The baby sitter who was caring for the child then picked the child up and brought him to an urgent care.

Seems that this babysitter was not doing her job very well.

The dog was minding his own business.

A neglected Phoenix dog called Mickey was chewing on a bone on his own property when a four-year-old boy wandered away from his babysitter and over to the dog. He attempted to pull the bone from Mickey’s mouth, and the dog bit him badly.

“The baby sitter who was caring for the child then picked the child up and brought him to an urgent care.

Mickey was not on his own property but the common area of the apartment complex on a 18 foot chain. That bone could have been 17 feet away from Mickey and he still could have mauled the boy, ripping off half of his face.

. Mickey was tied to an 18-foot-long chain and kept in a dog house in the common area of the babysitter's Phoenix apartment complex.

Judge spares controversial pit bull's life

The owners and the apartment complex which allowed a dog who had just mauled a puppy to death in a common area are at fault. The baby sitter as well is at fault, however the owner of the dog, whom she was visiting should have warned her the dog was vicious and had just mauled another dog to death. A vicious dog should have never been allowed on a 18 foot chain in a common area for children to wander by and get mauled.

Last edited:
This just goes to show how sick this world have become. To me, what was done to the boy should be done to the dog because it is the only way that the dog would know what it did to the boy.

Holly

No, it would make no difference. Dogs are not capable of that level of reasoning. Putting down a vicious animal that has proven its nature to attack, maim, and kill smaller animals, including human children, is warranted, IMHO. I would certainly not want such a creature in my vicinity.

CaféAuLait;9034615 said:

Mickey was not on his own property but the common area of the apartment complex on a 18 foot chain. That bone could have been 17 feet away from Mickey and he still could have mauled the boy, ripping off half of his face.

. Mickey was tied to an 18-foot-long chain and kept in a dog house in the common area of the babysitter's Phoenix apartment complex.

The owners and the apartment complex which allowed a dog who had just mauled a puppy to death in a common area are at fault. The baby sitter as well is at fault, however the owner of the dog, whom she was visiting should have warned her the dog was vicious and had just mauled another dog to death. A vicious dog should have never been allowed on a 18 foot chain in a common area for children to wander by and get mauled.

Well I just went for this report.
Now we have two different news reports. Which one is correct?
Help Save Mickey - His Life Depends on Us | Life With Dogs
This is why we have such a problem, because of such conflicting reports.
Our news should just be news and not opinion reports.

I think USA today is more accurate and the other is a plea for the dog.
But now you see why some are for the dog also.
He was an abused and neglected dog. Which is the owners fault. The owner did not tell the babysitter, also owners fault.
You have the parents (they had to know about this dog also) who did not warn the babysitter.
Then the babysitter who was not paying attention to the kid.
The Apartment Manager should have called the animal control unit when the dog killed the puppy.
If they had done that then this kid world not have gotten mauled.
This is what happens when nobody does their jobs at taking responsibility.
Four people did not do anything about this dog and this little boy is scared and maimed for life because of it.

The whole thing the mother is upset about are the statements about Mickey never being 'able to see the light of day again" ( as written by one commenter in reference to Mickey) while her son will never be able to see out of one eye and wont be able to eat correctly again.

It seems as if there is more sympathy towards to dog. As a matter of fact people donated more than 150K to the dog, while donating 12k to the kid and his mother who is no longer employed because she has to care for her son.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9034615 said:

He was an abused and neglected dog. Which is the owners fault. The owner did not tell the babysitter, also owners fault.
You have the parents (they had to know about this dog also) who did not warn the babysitter.
The Apartment Manager should have called the animal control unit when the dog killed the puppy.
Four people did not do anything about this dog and this little boy is scared and maimed for life because of it.

The save Mickey page is leaving out details to make a better case for Mickey, Notice they did not say a thing about his mauling the other dogs to death prior.

The mom is in no way at fault here, at all.

Correction: Dog Mauling Story - ABC News

And honestly, we don't know Mickey was 'abused and neglected" that is a claim by the Save Mickey page.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9034615 said:

In my mind the details are totally and unequivocally irrelevant. At no time whatsoever is it acceptable for an animal to attack a child, period. I don’t care if the dog was on personal property or not – he is dangerous to the extent that he is willing and able to attack a child. The only way that the details matter (IMHO) would be that of who retains accountability for the attack.

I don’t want to see the animal ‘punished’ as one poster was calling for or that he should be put down because of some ‘wrong’ that was committed. The question of morality here is moot because we are speaking about an animal. He should be put down simply because he presents a danger to children.

I think there is a clear problem with values here. Some are valuing the animal beyond that of the boy – something that is completely foreign to me. The animal has value but it is FAR below that of a person and even lower than that of a child. Essentially, I don’t care about the plight of a single dog vs. that of any person.

The dog should be put down. No if's and's or buts.

We live in such an upside down world. I would shoot a dog that did that to my child

Holly

You're an idiot. It's a dog. They don't think like people do. I bet you rub your dogs nose in it's pee too, don't ya? Or..if your cat pisses on the floor, you piss on the cat cuz by golly, that animal will KNOW what your intent to teach is, right?

Moron.

Who owned the dog? Prolly should go after those idiots.

I agree, it was the owners who wanted Mickey put down. The owners are wholly responsible and the apartment complex that allowed the dog to be chained on an 18 foot chain on communal property.

I truly feel for this Mom and Kevin.

Miss God Bless You wants the dog's face ripped off so it knows it did a bad thing when a kid tried to take it's bone away from it.

Eye roll.

I feel for the mom, the kid, the dog. Not necessarily in that order. I also think the dog should be put down because the life it will lead from now on is just as much torture as being abused and left chained to a tree.

Gawd I hate these kinds of stories.

/unsubscribed

Holly

The 4 year old wandered into the neighbor's yard and tried to take the dogs bone away.

Where was his mother then?? She let her 4 year old wander around unsupervised and then is pissed when the boy gets hurt??

The dog did not go after the boy. The boy came into the dog's yard and tried to take his bone away. He did what most dogs will do.

Holly

The 4 year old wandered into the neighbor's yard and tried to take the dogs bone away.

Where was his mother then?? She let her 4 year old wander around unsupervised and then is pissed when the boy gets hurt??

The dog did not go after the boy. The boy came into the dog's yard and tried to take his bone away. He did what most dogs will do.

It was not his mom, but a baby sitter. And this dog was on a 18 foot chain in the common area of an apartment building- not a yard, still allowed to be chained there even after mauling a puppy to death.

Forum List

Back