Mopeds?

I have a cheap chinese scooter right now...gave a couple hundred for it and ride it around town to run errands and such.

DO NOT buy a chinese scooter...they are disposable junkers that are next to impossible to get parts for.

PABLUM! You can get any parts you might need! There are literally DOZENS of places selling everything from belts, filters, and cables to complete engines!

What kind of moped could I get today and which one could you recommend?

Are you a woman?

Men don't drive mopeds.

Inaccurate - insecure men don't drive mopeds, mostly because they don't want to be busted as gay.
Real men have no fear of this, so can happily drive one.
Of course, gay men can happily use one as they can always called the hecklers, "bitch" and ride off, totally ignoring most of the gas stations they pass.

You really have to either get over your insecurity, or come out of the closet; that way, you can also get 100 miles per gallon and save yourself a fortune.
Easier to park outside your local gay bar as well.

No...a 250 will get 65-80MPG. (My Helix got ~70.) A 50cc will get 100+, some 100-125-150's might.

All the new 110 to 125 cc Honda bikes get at least 100mpg, I'm guessing the other brands do as well.
Mine costs bugger all to run; I have a car but usually only use it for family trips, rarely alone.

Do any of you remember the Whizzer? The first were engines that attached to a bicycle and were friction drive via a small roller. I remember some had the engine in front wheel configuration but can rememberwho made them.

Do any of you remember the Whizzer? The first were engines that attached to a bicycle and were friction drive via a small roller. I remember some had the engine in front wheel configuration but can rememberwho made them.

1958, stationed in a place north of Bordeaux, France.
th

Went everywhere on a tiny amount of fuel.

I have a Yamaha Majesty 400. 16 gallons of underseat storage, a top speed of around 100, and acceleration outpacing most cars on the road.

65mpg highway.

Had an old Yamaha Puch scooter, 40cc or so, top speed of about 35mph. My first motor vehicle. :) If gonna get a scooter, should just get a small motorcycle honestly. Had a Ninja 250 as my commuter for a few years. Nice little bike.

Had a Ninja 250 as my commuter for a few years. Nice little bike.

A scooter has advantages.
Light and automatic transmission means easy to control, so very easy to ride with very little practice.
When it's raining, or just rained, the footwell protects your legs and feet from the front wheel splash, so no need for waterproof trousers and boots.
A simple poncho serves to protect you from the weather.
The fuel consumption of those 110cc things is almost nothing.
Your helmet fits under the seat of all the new ones, so the security issue goes away,

Want more than a 110 (250, minimum) for any highway use. Probably want at least 12" wheels for any highway use, and preferably 13's.

I had a 125 Vino. Thing topped out at 59, had 10" tires and was the most fun you could have on two wheels. No matter how I drove that thing, 85mpg.

You don't need big wheels for highway use and don't need a 250 if your idea of a highway is 55mph. All you need is a top speed of 55. 59 is even better. I had a tailwind once on a cold morning and accelerated right through 63 and ran out of balls before I ran out of top speed.

Want more than a 110 (250, minimum) for any highway use. Probably want at least 12" wheels for any highway use, and preferably 13's.

If I were to use a scooter on a highway, I want at least a 250cc.
It's not the speed, it's the ability to accelerate out of trouble, and the 110 lump won't like higher speeds for long durations.

Forum List

Back