More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

When the cost of labor goes higher than a job is worth, the job is usually replaced by automation. Teenagers used to be able to pump gas and get some experience. Now we pump our own gas. Now they flip burgers, tomorrow an automated oven will do the whole process more consistently and cheaper. Away go the jobs.

How much is a job worth that makes all the money for an business owner?
If a machine can grind meat, shape burger patties, cook and assemble burgers for $10/hr, that's the price point beyond which humans will be replaced. If automated gas pumps can allow customers to pump their own gas for $2/hr, that's the price beyond which humans will be replaced. See, the way you approach this is all wrong. A typical business owner looks at it this way. I have a product that I sell. That product costs me X dollars in raw materials. Then I have to add in Y dollars to assemble the product and Z dollars to transport and sell it. Then I have to add enough to cover the taxes I will be charged by the government (this is why corporate taxation is so stupid. The customer pays them). Finally, after all that, I add in 3% as my profit margin. And, most of the time, labor is the biggest expense a company has. So, when it's all said and done, a job that "makes all the money for an business owner" simply doesn't exist.

Show me any machine capable of replacing fast food workers.
Here's one. Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider
Does anyone seriously think others will not follow and dramatically lower the cost?

The cost seems to be missing from the link. Also I don't see it working the register and serving customers.
The machine has an upfront cost and an operating cost. That cost will come down. It always does. Employees have an operating cost that continually rises. At some point, those costs will converge and the machine's TCO will be lower than the cost of human employees. That eliminates cooks in the back flipping burgers. Now, have you noticed that you don't have to go through a checkout line at the supermarket any more? You can scan your own goods and pay for them at a kiosk. There are restaurants where you can place your order from a screen at your table if you want. That technology will replace people working the register, it;s just a matter of adjusting the mindset of the customer. What's left? Taking the burger from the machine to the counter? You've now replaced 15 MW workers with maybe 3, and a handful of machines. It's all pure economics.

If a machine can grind meat, shape burger patties, cook and assemble burgers for $10/hr, that's the price point beyond which humans will be replaced. If automated gas pumps can allow customers to pump their own gas for $2/hr, that's the price beyond which humans will be replaced. See, the way you approach this is all wrong. A typical business owner looks at it this way. I have a product that I sell. That product costs me X dollars in raw materials. Then I have to add in Y dollars to assemble the product and Z dollars to transport and sell it. Then I have to add enough to cover the taxes I will be charged by the government (this is why corporate taxation is so stupid. The customer pays them). Finally, after all that, I add in 3% as my profit margin. And, most of the time, labor is the biggest expense a company has. So, when it's all said and done, a job that "makes all the money for an business owner" simply doesn't exist.

Does anyone seriously think others will not follow and dramatically lower the cost?

The cost seems to be missing from the link. Also I don't see it working the register and serving customers.
The machine has an upfront cost and an operating cost. That cost will come down. It always does. Employees have an operating cost that continually rises. At some point, those costs will converge and the machine's TCO will be lower than the cost of human employees. That eliminates cooks in the back flipping burgers. Now, have you noticed that you don't have to go through a checkout line at the supermarket any more? You can scan your own goods and pay for them at a kiosk. There are restaurants where you can place your order from a screen at your table if you want. That technology will replace people working the register, it;s just a matter of adjusting the mindset of the customer. What's left? Taking the burger from the machine to the counter? You've now replaced 15 MW workers with maybe 3, and a handful of machines. It's all pure economics.

I know all that. What is the cost?

So what?

That point is coming sooner or later anyway. That has NOTHING to do with determining whether the minimum wage should be raised or not.

"No, we're not going to raise the minimum wage, it's for your own good minimum wage workers" LOL

So what?

That point is coming sooner or later anyway. That has NOTHING to do with determining whether the minimum wage should be raised or not.

"No, we're not going to raise the minimum wage, it's for your own good minimum wage workers" LOL
We'll eventually can them all anyway, so let it be in a blaze of $10.00/hr. glory sooner than $7.50/hr. later. :D

I can appreciate people who choose the car crash over the cancer.

So what?

We'll eventually can them all anyway, so let it be in a blaze of $10.00/hr. glory sooner than $7.50/hr. later. :D

I can appreciate people who choose the car crash over the cancer.

$10 an hour is an appropriate minimum wage. In fact $10 an hour would correct the minimum wage to 1968 levels.

It's going to have to be a balancing act now, between unskilled labor and automation, I know of a few companies that went full automation and they folded, they bought new , but they didn't have the skilled industrial guys on the payroll to keep up with it...Fyi it's a major talent, it's like the major difference between knowledge and wisdom

You can buy the greatest machines on the planet, but if you hire crap maintenance men on the cheap, well if they don't know, to young, well your investments are going to go to hell in 8 years, just the way it is

What was your operating cost?

Have you figured out my business profit yet?

You drop ship everything and net $80K/yr.

I paid nothing for shipping. What's my profit?

Given how little info you have provided you must be looking for gross profit?

What's my pre-tax profit?

$10 an hour is an appropriate minimum wage. In fact $10 an hour would correct the minimum wage to 1968 levels.
I'm sure minimum-wagers would duly appreciate it for the approximately 26 months they remained employed before their job was usurped by the burger-o-matic 5000. :p

See, here is what you are apparently too stupid to understand.

We will ALWAYS have both minimum wage jobs, and minimum wage employees.

Let's say that McDonalds , for example, bought the burger-o-matic 500 and put it in all their stores. They would still need a minimal number of employees to run the thing. Those employees would still be entry level employees earning at or near the min wage. And the people who USED to work at McDonalds? They would still have to be employed somewhere at or near minimum wage.

The jobs will simply shift. When the automobile was invented did the people who ran livery stables and such suddenly no longer work? Of course not, they instead moved to another industry earning at or near the same wages.

What was your operating cost?

Ok you didn't answer my question.
Gross profit =Net sales- cost of good sold

So I guess you are calling the 1,000,000 your net sales and the 900,000 is your cost of good sold?

Btw, you could hire someone like me to try to fix it, but the damage is already done, you let the machine over heat, worn out 1000,s of Orings, never greased bearings, never took care.of the simple things,

Personally the next correction I see happening is that franchise type restaurants fall out of favor and those jobs dry up anyway.

They have
Terrible food
Terrible service
Lousy pay with lousy or no benefits.
etc, etc, etc

I think more and more we are going to see America return to the locally owned and operated type restaurants which offer good, locally sourced food along with good service for a fair price.

Ok you didn't answer my question.
Gross profit =Net sales- cost of good sold

So I guess you are calling the 1,000,000 your net sales and the 900,000 is your cost of good sold?

You got it.

Much ado about nothing....
This is largely a political argument for votes....

A small increase in the minimum wage for the 2.5 % of workers that earn that wont have any significant impact....

Above 10.00 businesses will find ways to trim costs......

One way would be to trim employment for those overpaid at the current min wage..... Simple really

Much ado about nothing....
This is largely a political argument for votes....

A small increase in the minimum wage for the 2.5 % of workers that earn that wont have any significant impact....

Above 10.00 businesses will find ways to trim costs......

One way would be to trim employment for those overpaid at the current min wage..... Simple really

Correct on your last point especially

I own a restaurant. We pay a minimum of $10 hour. You won't find your usual McDonalds fare working at my place. We simply won't hire people who we feel won't return $10 an hour worth the labor on a consistent basis.

IOW , one of my employees does what 2 or 3 of McDonalds employees does per hour.

The idea of "well that's all those people are worth " would be okay IF there weren't also people who WERE worth $10 an hour making $8 an hour or whatever.

Places like McDonalds, they are fine with hiring lousy employees at lousy wages and letting the government pick up the tab with welfare to supplement their wages. Their customers likewise are fine with lousy service to go along with lousy food as long as the prices remain relatively cheap. The average McMoron is also happy with lower wages as long as he gets his welfare to help supplement the low wages

The only people who are not fine with the arrangement are the taxpayers who foot the bill.

@$10/hr a single person working 30 hours a week is no longer eligible for welfare. That's the only point I care about.

Compare the minimum wage burden on family owned businesses to what is happening in the world oil prices impact on the major oil giants......I currently work for three different oil companies British Petroleum just cut wages by 15%, Chevron cut by 20% and a third unknown has not cut any percent so far. Keep in mind this slash in wages is world wide. So take one Ma & Pa corner store and force them to increase expenses without one penny of increase profit. Is there one person out there that believes that will work? If you do, go to your banks website and look up their interest rate on savings accounts. The idea of running a business is singular, TO MAKE MONEY and when you cannot make money you fold because you are forced to fold because 10 minus 7 does not equal 12.

Compare the minimum wage burden on family owned businesses to what is happening in the world oil prices impact on the major oil giants......I currently work for three different oil companies British Petroleum just cut wages by 15%, Chevron cut by 20% and a third unknown has not cut any percent so far. Keep in mind this slash in wages is world wide. So take one Ma & Pa corner store and force them to increase expenses without one penny of increase profit. Is there one person out there that believes that will work? If you do, go to your banks website and look up their interest rate on savings accounts. The idea of running a business is singular, TO MAKE MONEY and when you cannot make money you fold because you are forced to fold because 10 minus 7 does not equal 12.

Of course the idea is to make money. Most mom and pops are not going to be overly affected by a $2.75 raise in the minimum wage. What will they have maybe 2 employees who aren't already there?

Of course the idea is to make money. Most mom and pops are not going to be overly affected by a $2.75 raise in the minimum wage. What will they have maybe 2 employees who aren't already there?

So a mom & pop that has say 5 full time min wage ee's at an increase of 2.75 an hr....thats 20 a day per ee, or 500 a wk, 2000mo, 24,000 a yr.....

Piece of cake for mom and pop..... Lol

So a mom & pop that has say 5 full time min wage ee's at an increase of 2.75 an hr....thats 20 a day per ee, or 500 a wk, 2000mo, 24,000 a yr.....

Piece of cake for mom and pop..... Lol

So you up it to 5. They must do a lot of business to require so many. If all min wage employees get raises sales will increase as customers have more money.

Keep in mind a min wage increase has never increased unemployment. It has been done many times and we know this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back