Morocco votes in test for Islamic government

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting to see how this election turns out, whether the governjment becomes more Islamist or not. I never realized that the reign of the King's family was for several hundred years, but he did make concessions to the people.

September 05, 2015
SHARE :
morocco-votes-in-test-for-islamic-government-1441400066-7138.jpg

AFP

RABAT - Moroccans began voting Friday in local elections seen as a test for the ruling Islamists, who swept to power nearly four years ago after Arab Spring protests that prompted reforms by the monarchy.

About 15 million Moroccans were eligible to vote in the municipal and regional polls, considered a gauge of the popularity of Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane and his government, a year ahead of a general election.
In 2011, Benkirane’s Islamist Justice and Development Party (PJD) became the North African country’s first Islamist party to win a national election, and the first to lead a government.

That vote followed concessions from King Mohammed VI, the scion of a monarchy that has ruled the country for 350 years.

Continue reading at:

It will be interesting to see how this election turns out, whether the governjment becomes more Islamist or not. I never realized that the reign of the King's family was for several hundred years, but he did make concessions to the people.

September 05, 2015
SHARE :

AFP

RABAT - Moroccans began voting Friday in local elections seen as a test for the ruling Islamists, who swept to power nearly four years ago after Arab Spring protests that prompted reforms by the monarchy.

About 15 million Moroccans were eligible to vote in the municipal and regional polls, considered a gauge of the popularity of Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane and his government, a year ahead of a general election.
In 2011, Benkirane’s Islamist Justice and Development Party (PJD) became the North African country’s first Islamist party to win a national election, and the first to lead a government.

That vote followed concessions from King Mohammed VI, the scion of a monarchy that has ruled the country for 350 years.

Continue reading at:

sally-----you probably know that the FORMER king of morocco was quite a liberal guy------his son-----as a client of mine told me about 15 years ago-------is ok but "weak" and the "mullahs" have him under their thumbs-----that is why morocco is becoming increasingly Islamicist. The good old days------it seems-----ARE GONE. My client was a jew of Moroccan background who continued at that time---his connection with Morocco-----but was about to give it up because of the increasing "tensions"

September 05, 2015
SHARE :

AFP

Continue reading at:

sally-----you probably know that the FORMER king of morocco was quite a liberal guy------his son-----as a client of mine told me about 15 years ago-------is ok but "weak" and the "mullahs" have him under their thumbs-----that is why morocco is becoming increasingly Islamicist. The good old days------it seems-----ARE GONE. My client was a jew of Moroccan background who continued at that time---his connection with Morocco-----but was about to give it up because of the increasing "tensions"

Yes, the old King said that he missed his Jews. A friend of mine told me about a social club in New York made up to Jewish and Muslim Moroccans. At the time,l she was dating a Muslim man so volunteered to be the corresponding or recording secretary at the club. Then when the tensions started up with Israel, the club broke up.

Forum List

Back