Ralph Nader - 2000

William Jennings Bryan - 1896
Millard Fillmore - 1856
Ross Perot - 1992
Robert La Follette - 1924
George Wallace - 1968
Strom Thurmond - 1948
Ralph Nader - 2000
How can you include Ralph Nader, but not T.R.(1912)? He got more EVs than Taft.

United States presidential election, 1912 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Teddy Roosevelt was president of the United States at one time. It just didn't seem right to include him. Some historians consider Abraham Lincoln to be the only third party candidate to ever win as a third party candidate. It's hard for modern Americans to consider the Republican Party as a third party. I didn't list Abraham Lincoln either.

Millard Fillmore - 1856
Ross Perot - 1992
George Wallace - 1968
Strom Thurmond - 1948
Ralph Nader - 2000
How can you include Ralph Nader, but not T.R.(1912)? He got more EVs than Taft.
United States presidential election, 1912 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Teddy Roosevelt was president of the United States at one time. It just didn't seem right to include him. Some historians consider Abraham Lincoln to be the only third party candidate to ever win as a third party candidate. It's hard for modern Americans to consider the Republican Party as a third party. I didn't list Abraham Lincoln either.
By the time of Lincoln the Republicans weren't a third party anymore, maybe in 1856, but not 1860. As for T.R., that's moving the goalposts a bit. The Progressive Party was a third party. The fact that they had a great candidate, doesn't change that. Also, in 1896 WJB wasn't a third party candidate; he was the Democratic candidate. United States presidential election, 1896 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millard Fillmore - 1856
Ross Perot - 1992
George Wallace - 1968
Strom Thurmond - 1948
Ralph Nader - 2000

The problem there is -- most all were NOT 3rd parties. Most were renegades or populists without an organization or a philosophical political theme. The LParty are Greens are TRUE 3rd parties. And the LParty principles have not changed in decades. America has changed however. And now most of things we were slimed and ridiculed for are now found out to the real solutions and correct opinion..

It's EASIER to get on ballots as an Independent -- than as a party. Most folks are not aware of that. Independent is a constant "place-holder" for renegades that get an itch to run on a couple issues. But you cannot get a Party name on the ballots without blood, sweat, tears and a trainload of money and lawyers...

Americans need to look at the awful ballot and debate rules closely ---- and see how the "brand name" parties has closed the field to ANY competition...

in 1896 WJB wasn't a third party candidate; he was the Democratic candidate. United States presidential election, 1896 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point! I couldn't figure out why he was listed as a third party candidate. Now I get it. He was nominated by the Populist Party and the Free Silver Party the same year. I suppose he was a mainstream candidate and a third party candidate. I guess I should have read the article a little closer. I would have excluded him.

Millard Fillmore - 1856
Ross Perot - 1992
George Wallace - 1968
Strom Thurmond - 1948
Ralph Nader - 2000

The problem there is -- most all were NOT 3rd parties. Most were renegades or populists without an organization or a philosophical political theme. The LParty are Greens are TRUE 3rd parties. And the LParty principles have not changed in decades. America has changed however. And now most of things we were slimed and ridiculed for are now found out to the real solutions and correct opinion..

It's EASIER to get on ballots as an Independent -- than as a party. Most folks are not aware of that. Independent is a constant "place-holder" for renegades that get an itch to run on a couple issues. But you cannot get a Party name on the ballots without blood, sweat, tears and a trainload of money and lawyers...

Americans need to look at the awful ballot and debate rules closely ---- and see how the "brand name" parties has closed the field to ANY competition...

North Carolina has a pretty good rule on third parties in my opinion. A third party can get on the ballot in North Carolina if that party can obtain signatures from 1% of registered voters. That party gains permanent ballot access if it can receive 10% of the vote during an election. I think that is fair because it keeps the ballot from being ridiculously long but gives legitimate competitors a chance to play. In recent elections the Libertarian Party has gained ballot access in North Carolina. They were on the ballot in 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2004 and 2002.

I only have data from 2002 - Present but North Carolina hasn't had any other third party candidates on the ballot other than the Libertarian Party.

Millard Fillmore - 1856
Ross Perot - 1992
George Wallace - 1968
Strom Thurmond - 1948
Ralph Nader - 2000

North Carolina has a pretty good rule on third parties in my opinion. A third party can get on the ballot in North Carolina if that party can obtain signatures from 1% of registered voters. That party gains permanent ballot access if it can receive 10% of the vote during an election. I think that is fair because it keeps the ballot from being ridiculously long but gives legitimate competitors a chance to play. In recent elections the Libertarian Party has gained ballot access in North Carolina. They were on the ballot in 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2004 and 2002.

That's 100,000 signatures man !!! And because the D & Rs are gonna drag your petitions into court. You really need more like 120,000... And then there's ALWAYS court costs to forced the duopoly to accept them.

So -- youre looking at about 2,000 volunteer hours or $150K to hire profess. petitioners + lawyers + fund raising or something in the range of $175K ---- JUST for N.C.

Yet we do it 50 times every times every Fed cycle. And we're exhausted before the campaign even starts. Might sound like a bargain to you -- but not if you're the one doing it.

Why is the bar 1% by petition --- but 5% by vote? Because A LOT of candidates pull double digits in Senate/House races in some states. And the others -- know they keep us off in their "safe states"...

Forum List

Back