Movie 'Concussion' Was Excellent

I've heard the the movie tells a lot of lies.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

There apparently are other lies too, but that one is the most important.
NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.
Just another group of attempted victims.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers,

?

Where is that happening?

Google is your friend. Learn how to use it.

High school football reels from fourth player death in a month

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers,

?

Where is that happening?

Google is your friend. Learn how to use it.

High school football reels from fourth player death in a month

"In large numbers".....

So, that's 30 in ten years out of over a MILLION who play each year? How do you think that compares to driving, swimming, or crossing the street?

They risk death every time they play. Broken back, broken neck. Shove the pansie nonsense where the sun don't shine. My loyalty is to common sense
You are being ridiculous. Risking a broken arm is nowhere at all similar to a 30% chance of becoming a drooling moron at the age of 50.

You are really a confused person on this issue, dude.

Its all about the money and the NFL is a money making powerhouse. So nothing is going to happen. I am for making ped's legal as I would hope the players continue to get bigger so we see more violent hits which is what we clamor for.
There are things that can be done and we have already seen a few changes, and I think more are in the pipeline.

Dont be so pessimistic.

They risk death every time they play. Broken back, broken neck. Shove the pansie nonsense where the sun don't shine. My loyalty is to common sense
You are being ridiculous. Risking a broken arm is nowhere at all similar to a 30% chance of becoming a drooling moron at the age of 50.

Did I say anything about a broken arm Mr Ridiculous? No I didn't.

Dumbass

Dumbass
And anyone that would claim that concern for a broken back, or broken neck or a life with mind altering brain injuries is 'pansie nonsense' would be a fool.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.

In large numbers?
Your claim is bogus. In 2014 twelve players died in college and high school football combined and most werent related to head injuries.
Average 12 school football players die each year, study says

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.

In large numbers?
Your claim is bogus. In 2014 twelve players died in college and high school football combined and most werent related to head injuries.

Alot of people like myself would say that twelve kids dying from playing a fucking game is a large number, capice?

Dumbass
And anyone that would claim that concern for a broken back, or broken neck or a life with mind altering brain injuries is 'pansie nonsense' would be a fool.
I was talking about your bleeding heart nonsense lol.

When are you going to create similar bleeding heart threads for other dangerous professions? You know, like the professions that actually contribute to society for the good of it & not the money?

Get a grip

Some thoughts on the topic of NFL concusions;

1. the root of the problem is the 'safety' equipment; the pads helmets etc that make the player think that they are safe when they run into a guy at full sprint. Rugby doe snot have such injuries and I think it is due to the lack of safety equipment forcing players to moderate their speed and brace with their arms more.

2. Major subplot to the movie was the power for abuse that corporations have. FBI interference with bogus criminal charges,e tc to silence the doctors was classic. We need to tame our corporations badly.

3. We really dont know that much about how the brain works when the NFL can easily dismiss the science of concussions so handily. I wonder how many other sports and professions have a high rate of brain injury similar to the NFL.

About a decade ago I started hearing about the behavior changes associated with concussions from football. I am trying to remember but I think there were a couple of high profile cases where a player had retired and become aggressive.

I'm just going to tell you straight up..........I know jack all about football. I go for whatever team everyone around me is going for. But, I have had boyfriends that played or watched or whatever. One of them was severely injured in high school.

My son's paternal grandfather has been dead set on my kid playing football. I have adamantly refused. No contact sports. This movie coming out has been the best thing ever.
I think that about 30% of parents that are currently allowing their kids to play in PeeWee football will withdraw and as many in each generation will eventually abandon football altogether. There is not any way I would let mys on play given this information.

Not interested in the least. The players know the risks & opt for the big payday.

Cry to someone who cares & keep your propaganda to yourself
Actually, no, the players did not know the risks, people didnt even understand the disease.

Way to snap your heels and be loyal to the corporate power structure, Gramps.

I have to disagree.
We've known for a long time that repeatedly getting concussed will cause problems later in life.
And at this point there is no denying those facts yet players are still lining up to play football.

Oct 3, 2012 - Scientists have long known that blows to the head can be dangerous. ...Studies show repeat concussions lead to severe long-term symptoms

Dumbass
I was talking about your bleeding heart nonsense lol.

When are you going to create similar bleeding heart threads for other dangerous professions? You know, like the professions that actually contribute to society for the good of it & not the money?

Get a grip
Lol, concern for reducing severe injuries and dementia for football players is 'bleeding heart nonsense'?

Do you ever actually think about what the hell you are saying?

Not interested in the least. The players know the risks & opt for the big payday.

Actually, no, the players did not know the risks, people didnt even understand the disease.

I have to disagree.
We've known for a long time that repeatedly getting concussed will cause problems later in life.
And at this point there is no denying those facts yet players are still lining up to play football.

Oct 3, 2012 - Scientists have long known that blows to the head can be dangerous. ...Studies show repeat concussions lead to severe long-term symptoms
But the game can be revised to make it safer, so why not do it? Is safety padding that intrinsic to football that it cant be shed for the sake of the game?

In large numbers?

Alot of people like myself would say that twelve kids dying from playing a fucking game is a large number, capice?

I wouldnt.
Accidents happen in all sports,and these kids aren't dying due to injury,most die from undiagnosed heart conditions or heat related problems.
Which of course can happen in any sport.

I like that the movie takes place in the most beautiful city in America. :thup:

I have to disagree.

But the game can be revised to make it safer, so why not do it? Is safety padding that intrinsic to football that it cant be shed for the sake of the game?

I'm all for making it as safe as possible and I agree with the NFL protocol when dealing with them.
The problem being...if you sterilize it too much the NFL is done for.

I was trained to lead with a shoulder and keep my head up (eyes open and on the target).

I was knocked out one time, I was hit simultaneously on the back, behind the knees and from the front by a pulling guard. I went over the player in the back and landed on the back of my head.

I was only out for a moment or two, the whistle ending the play may have awakened me, and when I opened my eyes a number of players were looking down at me. It was weird, but I didn't miss even the next play.

Forum List

Back