Movie 'Concussion' Was Excellent

If someone chooses to play pro football and does not recognize the risk then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences.
Studies about CTE, etc., are redundant to say the least.
Wow, no sympathy for all these heroes then? Nothing that can be done to mitigate the negative consequences?

Then football should be banned if we are not going to make it a safer sport.

There is no legal right to engage in 'sports' that have such a high likelihood of leaving its players debilitated and crippled if not killed outright.

This concussion shit is a huge SCAM. Read the book "The War on Football". It's all a lawsuit scam. Of course SOME get brain damage. Drinking beer does it too. So does skating and bicycling...they crash and get concussions.

Liberals have had their eyes set on destroying football for a while and now they're trying it. I predicted this on this forum years ago....search it.

That book has so many stories of nonsense and dishonesty in this subject. Players who sued...then withdrew so they could PLAY AGAIN.

Some thoughts on the topic of NFL concusions;

1. the root of the problem is the 'safety' equipment; the pads helmets etc that make the player think that they are safe when they run into a guy at full sprint. Rugby doe snot have such injuries and I think it is due to the lack of safety equipment forcing players to moderate their speed and brace with their arms more.

2. Major subplot to the movie was the power for abuse that corporations have. FBI interference with bogus criminal charges,e tc to silence the doctors was classic. We need to tame our corporations badly.

3. We really dont know that much about how the brain works when the NFL can easily dismiss the science of concussions so handily. I wonder how many other sports and professions have a high rate of brain injury similar to the NFL.

About a decade ago I started hearing about the behavior changes associated with concussions from football. I am trying to remember but I think there were a couple of high profile cases where a player had retired and become aggressive.

I'm just going to tell you straight up..........I know jack all about football. I go for whatever team everyone around me is going for. But, I have had boyfriends that played or watched or whatever. One of them was severely injured in high school.

My son's paternal grandfather has been dead set on my kid playing football. I have adamantly refused. No contact sports. This movie coming out has been the best thing ever.

Hmmmm. Perhaps mike websters story says it all. He had massive brain trauma. There was no scam involved. I am not for banning the sport and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that blows to the head even with a helmet are not good for a person. Its a choice....if I did it all over again I would not have let my boys play high school football. But I would not ask that it be stopped either.

NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.
Just another group of attempted victims.

Wow, so we should just not do anything to help these people who have developed brain injuries? There is no doubt that they are getting injuries, but thats OK as long as the NFL admits there are problems?

You like gladiatorial sports as well? Fight to the death in arenas, etc?

Come on dude, we can improve the sport and not have so many of our athletic heroes killing themselves from depression, walking around like drooling idiots later in life and actually enjoying their retirement.

What would be the big deal if the various football sports organizations ruled out using pads and helmets? Went with the rugby approach?

Would that desecrate the religion of football so horribly that you couldnt enjoy watching our gladiators try to kill each other on the field otherwise?
Look at photos of football players a 100 years ago. Their helmets were nothing more than leather caps that protected their ears. And their jerseys were shoulder width, not like they had gigantic arms and shoulders.

I think pro football is gonna choke and die as time goes on and for obvious reasons. The danger to the players all the way from from peewee leagues right on up to the pros. And soccer is nipping at their heels.
Especially with so many high school aged players dropping dead, on & off the field. That more than anything else will probably kill it.

If someone chooses to play pro football and does not recognize the risk then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences.
Studies about CTE, etc., are redundant to say the least.
Wow, no sympathy for all these heroes then? Nothing that can be done to mitigate the negative consequences?

Then football should be banned if we are not going to make it a safer sport.

There is no legal right to engage in 'sports' that have such a high likelihood of leaving its players debilitated and crippled if not killed outright.
Instead of tackling, why can't they play where a "tackle" is when you can grab the one holding the football with your two hands on each butt cheek? No chance for injury there.

I played in college at Furman. That was early 90s. We knew about it then. Had big posters warning of risks....AND every helmet had a WARNING label on it describing the risk of death or injury.

THIS SHIT IS A SCAM FOLKS.

If players at my little ole Furman University knew it....everyone did. Players and Lawyers are pulling a "hot coffee" money grab.

Don't wanna risk it? Dont play. Play flag football or golf. Don't like seeing it? DON'T WATCH.

Hey....how about we ban head shots in boxing??? Body shots only like in some karate tournaments.

The pussification of America carries on.

Funny.....no one is demanding baseball players all wear big helmets so a line drive doesn't kill them.

I've heard the the movie tells a lot of lies.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

There apparently are other lies too, but that one is the most important.
NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.
High School aged players dropping dead is a by-product of a normally sedentary lifestyle and extreme heat during August workouts. Our children aren't used to hardships like they were 30 years ago. So a 3 hour football practice at Catagory 4 or 5 tends to put too much stress on their systems. Not to mention the habit of football coaches stressing toughness instead of safety.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.
High School aged players dropping dead is a by-product of a normally sedentary lifestyle and extreme heat during August workouts. Our children aren't used to hardships like they were 30 years ago. So a 3 hour football practice at Catagory 4 or 5 tends to put too much stress on their systems. Not to mention the habit of football coaches stressing toughness instead of safety.

And obesity. Many of these who die are very fat.

They see a kid who weighs 330 and think "Oh players at Alabama and in the NFL are 330....we got us a monster!!" But don't realize 330 of mostly muscle isn't the same as 330 of mostly fat.

None of that changes the facts. Kids are dropping dead on the field, during games as well as during practice.

They see a kid who weighs 330 and think "Oh players at Alabama and in the NFL are 330....we got us a monster!!" But don't realize 330 of mostly muscle isn't the same as 330 of mostly fat.

Got any evidence to back up your claim. I was just looking at pics of children who dropped dead playing football. None looked fat to me

Got any evidence to back up your claim. I was just looking at pics of children who dropped dead playing football. None looked fat to me
Looks can be deceiving.

Sitting at home in air-conditioning while playing video games instead of playing outside like we used to when I was young has become normal for our kids. They have long periods of inactivity and then all of the sudden they're out running in the Sun and heat with 20 pounds of lightweight football equipment on.

Not interested in the least. The players know the risks & opt for the big payday.

Cry to someone who cares & keep your propaganda to yourself
Actually, no, the players did not know the risks, people didnt even understand the disease.

Way to snap your heels and be loyal to the corporate power structure, Gramps.
They risk death every time they play. Broken back, broken neck. Shove the pansie nonsense where the sun don't shine. My loyalty is to common sense

If you want to decrease the number of injuries in football, get rid of the preseason games and shorten the season to 12 games.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers,

?

Where is that happening?

First of all...the players are too big, too fast and too strong. More the result of growth hormones than workout regimes. How do you get 300 lb high school players?

Secondly, the game has lost its balance. There is no balance between offense and defense and no balance between the running game and passing game. More passing means more hits on a QB and higher speed collisions

I'll watch the movie when it comes out on video. But like anything that comes out of Hollywood, its pure entertainment and I would never look to a movie as a source of information.

With that said, the NFL is doing right by penalizing players that hit head to head. They have to keep performance enhancing drugs out as well. But don't any more games to the schedule!

Its all about the money and the NFL is a money making powerhouse. So nothing is going to happen. I am for making ped's legal as I would hope the players continue to get bigger so we see more violent hits which is what we clamor for.

Looks can be deceiving.

Sitting at home in air-conditioning while playing video games instead of playing outside like we used to when I was young has become normal for our kids. They have long periods of inactivity and then all of the sudden they're out running in the Sun and heat with 20 pounds of lightweight football equipment on.

Okay than if bucs90 is unwilling to back up his claims than I invite you to do so.

Forum List

Back