My Fav Democrat President

Racists?

Compared to the norms of 100 years ago?

What???

You didn't know that your favs were racists???

OK...jot this down:

1. "“The practice of using merit testing in filling federal job vacancies had largely erased the color line,” said historian Nicholas Patler in his 2004 study, Jim Crow and the Wilson Administration. He described the work environment for African-Americans as “relatively integrated” for decades, “even in most Railway Mail Service runs in the South, and both races worked together at many post offices in large southern cities, including Montgomery, Mobile, Houston, and Jacksonville.”

Woodrow Wilson and Jim Crow

The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, however, by President Woodrow Wilson. As a candidate, the born-and-bred southerner had promised black Americans “absolute fair dealing.” But the first chief executive from the South in more than 50 years soon turned his back on his black supporters.

“Wilson’s electoral landslide in 1912 brought the South back into the national political orbit for the first time since the Civil War,” said Washington and Lee University historian Ted DeLaney. “Once in office, these southerners responded to many of the wishes of white supremacist groups.”
The Post Office Department and Jim Crow

See what I told you about not ever trusting Democrats?

2. FDR

a. "Beginning in the 1960s FDR was charged[31] with not acting decisively enough to prevent or stop the Holocaust. Critics cite instances such as the 1939 episode in which 936 Jewish refugees on the SS St. Louis were denied asylum and not allowed into the United States because of strict laws passed by Congress.[32]
Some argue that the Roosevelt Administration knew that the Nazis were systematically slaughtering Jews and followed a policy of not rescuing them.[33] According to professor David Wyman, Roosevelt’s record on Jewish refugees and their rescue is very poor and one of the worst failures of his presidency.[33] He has been criticized for failing to issue public statements or address the issue of European Jews in any of his 998 press conferences.[34]"
Criticism of Franklin D. Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. Then, there is the little episode of rounding up folks because their skin was yellow. Yikes.

c. Hugo Black was FDR's first Supreme Court nominee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed..."
Egnorance: Hugo Black and the real history of "the wall of separation between church and state"

Yup.....FDR and Hugo Black really messed up this nation.

Compared to whom from that era?

Wow....you're pedaling faster than Ed Begley, Jr., trying to make a piece of toast.

I knew you'd try to squirm your way out....that's why my post included this: "The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, ...."

But, frankly, at your advanced age, I never believed you had the ability to change your views.
You're so old that I bet your blood type was discontinued.

What???

You didn't know that your favs were racists???

OK...jot this down:

1. "“The practice of using merit testing in filling federal job vacancies had largely erased the color line,” said historian Nicholas Patler in his 2004 study, Jim Crow and the Wilson Administration. He described the work environment for African-Americans as “relatively integrated” for decades, “even in most Railway Mail Service runs in the South, and both races worked together at many post offices in large southern cities, including Montgomery, Mobile, Houston, and Jacksonville.”

Woodrow Wilson and Jim Crow

The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, however, by President Woodrow Wilson. As a candidate, the born-and-bred southerner had promised black Americans “absolute fair dealing.” But the first chief executive from the South in more than 50 years soon turned his back on his black supporters.

“Wilson’s electoral landslide in 1912 brought the South back into the national political orbit for the first time since the Civil War,” said Washington and Lee University historian Ted DeLaney. “Once in office, these southerners responded to many of the wishes of white supremacist groups.”
The Post Office Department and Jim Crow

See what I told you about not ever trusting Democrats?

2. FDR

a. "Beginning in the 1960s FDR was charged[31] with not acting decisively enough to prevent or stop the Holocaust. Critics cite instances such as the 1939 episode in which 936 Jewish refugees on the SS St. Louis were denied asylum and not allowed into the United States because of strict laws passed by Congress.[32]
Some argue that the Roosevelt Administration knew that the Nazis were systematically slaughtering Jews and followed a policy of not rescuing them.[33] According to professor David Wyman, Roosevelt’s record on Jewish refugees and their rescue is very poor and one of the worst failures of his presidency.[33] He has been criticized for failing to issue public statements or address the issue of European Jews in any of his 998 press conferences.[34]"
Criticism of Franklin D. Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. Then, there is the little episode of rounding up folks because their skin was yellow. Yikes.

c. Hugo Black was FDR's first Supreme Court nominee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed..."
Egnorance: Hugo Black and the real history of "the wall of separation between church and state"

Yup.....FDR and Hugo Black really messed up this nation.

Wow....you're pedaling faster than Ed Begley, Jr., trying to make a piece of toast.

I knew you'd try to squirm your way out....that's why my post included this: "The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, ...."

But, frankly, at your advanced age, I never believed you had the ability to change your views.

Can you point to prominent Republicans from 1915 or 1940 who were advocates for Civil Rights?

There must be one

Can you point to prominent Republicans from 1915 or 1940 who were advocates for Civil Rights?

There must be one

Republicans were responsible for passing the 13th, 14th, 15th (Civil Rights Act of 1866), the 19th, and voted in higher percentages for the 1964 Civil Rights act than Democrats.

Democrats blocked every anti-lynching bill that got to the Senate.

The Democrats to this day have a long and hidden record of restricting blacks.

You must still have some cerebral neurons left.....There must be one.

There must be one

Republicans were responsible for passing the 13th, 14th, 15th (Civil Rights Act of 1866), the 19th, and voted in higher percentages for the 1964 Civil Rights act than Democrats.

Sorry...but it doesn't answer the question

You claim Wilson and FDR are racists

Why is it so difficult for you to point out which Republican led Civil Rights initiatives they blocked?

There must be one

Sorry...but it doesn't answer the question

You claim Wilson and FDR are racists

Why is it so difficult for you to point out which Republican led Civil Rights initiatives they blocked?

No I didn't.

I didn't claim such.

I proved it.

Jimmy Carter.

As I grow older, and reflect on my years as a Republican hawk, I am mellowing. He was a decent human being that the neo-conservatives pulled no punches in destroying, one of the most educated and intelligent of men to hold the office, and one of the few in recent history that actually served in the US military, and of those that did serve, he actually had what could be called a real job and not just one made up so that they could say they put on a uniform. His work after his time in the presidency still shines forth as what good can be done in this world, such as Habitat for Humanity, setting the example for those that still are doing nothing but playing golf.

He was the LAST president we had who wasnt evil and corrupt.The only decent one since JFK our last great president.The greatest democratic president.

Great post.

Last edited:
Jimmy Carter.

As I grow older, and reflect on my years as a Republican hawk, I am mellowing. He was a decent human being that the neo-conservatives pulled no punches in destroying, one of the most educated and intelligent of men to hold the office, and one of the few in recent history that actually served in the US military, and of those that did serve, he actually had what could be called a real job and not just one made up so that they could say they put on a uniform. His work after his time in the presidency still shines forth as what good can be done in this world, such as Habitat for Humanity, setting the example for those that still are doing nothing but playing golf.

He was the LAST president we had who wasnt evil and corrupt.The only decent one since JFK our last great president.The greatest democratic president.

Great post.

Interesting.

Your analysis of Jimmy Carter fits perfectly with so very many of your previous posts.

Truly an astounding consistency.

Forum List

Back