My older daughter, a teacher, called me last night...

Maybe I should have started this thread in the CDZ.

You need a safe space?

Anyway, to the point, I can't see how arming teachers is going to do any good.

Columbine they had armed guard, it didn't do any good.
VA Tech they had an armed security force. Didn't do any good.
Ft. Hood was a military base, all those weapons didn't do much good- twice.

More guns just lead to more confusion. If you are a cop, and you are responding to an "Active Shooter" scenario, and someone rounds the corner packing a gun, are you going to wait to figure out if that's a teacher or the "Active Shooter"?

Since our politicians won't stand up the NRA, we are just going to have to accept this sort of things as part of life.

Be glad she called you
Calling the FBI would have been worthless

What did you expect the FBI to do? Florida is a state where they reward people for gunning down black children in the middle of the street, what did you think they were going to do about this guy.

When the first amendment allows you to talk smack on Facebook and the second Amendment allows you to own military grade weapons, it wasn't like they could actually do anything.

.... uncharacteristically shaken after going through "shooter training" at school. She said all the female teachers were crying, a mess.

Shooter training.

"What it all boils down to, is that there's not much we can do, dad", she said. "They're going through and putting interior locks on classroom doors. Outside of that, you just have to hope the shooter doesn't find you."

I asked her about guns, and whether she supported the idea of giving teachers the option of having guns. "Hell yes," she said, and they had talked about that in training. She doesn't support it being mandatory, but definitely agreed that if some number of teachers did want to do it, it would help. She would do it.

So that was my Friday evening conversation with my daughter. They're usually a little different.
As a teacher, of 30 years, I completely disagree with her, and I think most teachers would. Teachers can't control all students at all times: there is far too much chance of a student getting his/her hands on a teacher's gun.

Be glad she called you
Calling the FBI would have been worthless

What did you expect the FBI to do? Florida is a state where they reward people for gunning down black children in the middle of the street, what did you think they were going to do about this guy.

When the first amendment allows you to talk smack on Facebook and the second Amendment allows you to own military grade weapons, it wasn't like they could actually do anything.
I expected the FBI to do their job

Hope you daughter never has to deal with it.

Kids are tough to relate to sometimes. I have one that was a Bernie nut and one "gun nut" as the lefties like to call them.

BOTH girls in their twenties so I just nod and say yes dear...
So you had one kid that turned out well despite your negative influence.
One out of two ain’t bad.

How does a gun locked in a safe cause problems?

Okay. Where is it in their job to police emo teens?

Thanks.

You do realize that they are the "Federal Bureau of Investigation", right? What federal crime was this guy supposed to be investigated for.

Sorry, guy, when you have decided as a matter of policy that every insane person has a God Given Right to Own a Machine Gun, then there's really not much the FBI could do.

It's insane that we're even having to talk about this, and it's indicative of a much larger problem.
Where the inmates are running the asylum and the answer is always more guns.

Wouldn't you be happier for your daughter's sake if handguns and military style semi automatics (mssa) weren't so easily available? Or do you think her vulnerability is a reasonable price to pay for easy access to handguns and mmsa?

I like the part where you felt the need to make up your own acronym ....how edgy.

In spite of what occurred on Wednesday, your children ( and their teachers ) are much less likely to be shot in school than they are in their own homes.

The idea that introducing firearms into classrooms will result in a safer environment for children is ludicrous. Fear is a poor basis for sound decision making.

Tell that to the kids who were shot.

.... uncharacteristically shaken after going through "shooter training" at school. She said all the female teachers were crying, a mess.

Shooter training.

"What it all boils down to, is that there's not much we can do, dad", she said. "They're going through and putting interior locks on classroom doors. Outside of that, you just have to hope the shooter doesn't find you."

I asked her about guns, and whether she supported the idea of giving teachers the option of having guns. "Hell yes," she said, and they had talked about that in training. She doesn't support it being mandatory, but definitely agreed that if some number of teachers did want to do it, it would help. She would do it.

So that was my Friday evening conversation with my daughter. They're usually a little different.

Your daughter sounds clearheaded and reasonable.

I retired from the school system more than 10 years ago. Even then we had 'intruder' (shooter) drills, weather drills and fire drills. Don't recall any teachers crying or shaking in fear. It was what we had to know to try to keep the children safe. When I was a child we huddled in school basements during nuclear blast drills or under our desks if the school didn't have a basement. We evacuated schools because of bomb threats. We had fire drills, some of the alarms were pulled as pranks.

Teachers were not armed with fire extinguishers, or ballistic missiles or trained to disarm a bomb. The teachers sole responsibility was to react calmly and swiftly to a threat and lead the students to a safe place. We all knew there was no hiding from a nuclear bomb, but we all practiced it anyway.

I can understand the reasoning that a teacher who has a carry permit should be allowed to have a gun at school. On the other hand - realistically a hand gun, especially wielded by someone with minimal training, cannot compete with even the smallest caliber of hunting rifle for distance and accuracy.

Shooter training.

As a teacher, of 30 years, I completely disagree with her, and I think most teachers would. Teachers can't control all students at all times: there is far too much chance of a student getting his/her hands on a teacher's gun.

So how would the student get in to a biometric gun safe?

Thanks.

You do realize that they are the "Federal Bureau of Investigation", right? What federal crime was this guy supposed to be investigated for.

Sorry, guy, when you have decided as a matter of policy that every insane person has a God Given Right to Own a Machine Gun, then there's really not much the FBI could do.
The FBI has already admitted they didn't do their job. So I guess they didn't do their job.
Wray should be fired.

In spite of what occurred on Wednesday, your children ( and their teachers ) are much less likely to be shot in school than they are in their own homes.

The idea that introducing firearms into classrooms will result in a safer environment for children is ludicrous. Fear is a poor basis for sound decision making.

Whoa! That’s an iron clad argument! I’m stymied. There’s simply no good response to such sterling logic!

Whoa! That’s an iron clad argument! I’m stymied. There’s simply no good response to such sterling logic!

Apparently....since you have no response.

Shooter training.

1) You are going to pay for it? 2) If the teacher and his/her students are under fire, does he/she have time to get the gun free in order to protect them? and 3) how many parents are going to have a say in if the school teachers are armed and how many do you think would vote for it? Not most. I know. Parents don't want non-police professionals armed and guns floating around the school.

Thanks.

What horseshit. Stop pulling shit outa your hole

Apparently....since you have no response.

Yeah. Every time someone doesn’t spend effort responding to something you say is evidence that they can’t do so. It’s never because what you said is so stupid that responding with effort is equally stood.

98% of teachers don’t want guns in their classrooms.
There are too many variables where they will do much more harm than good.

Exactly. Having a fire arm in the class poses a very large risk. Especially when dealing with middle and high school students.

I am a teacher myself and I am against bringing guns into a classroom. It's a reckless idea.

Shooter training.

1) You are going to pay for it? 2) If the teacher and his/her students are under fire, does he/she have time to get the gun free in order to protect them? and 3) how many parents are going to have a say in if the school teachers are armed and how many do you think would vote for it? Not most. I know. Parents don't want non-police professionals armed and guns floating around the school.

You really dont know shit about guns or gun safes do you?

Forum List

Back