N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

Wow, it wasn't like the cops were asking her to fork over a million dollars and it also wasn't like they were asking her about something private when what she got pulled over for was put out there for everyone to see. Her choice to be silent only made the hole that she was already in get deeper and deeper.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
And now she is going to be climbing out of that hole with the pile of money they are going to fork over for violating her rights...
If she thinks that them doing what is their job violates her rights, she shouldn't have given them a reason to pull her over in the first place if her rights had really meant that much to her.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
That's a deflectionary ( yeah I made it up) diversion based on intellectual laziness on your part.
She did exactly what she was required to do, no more and no less.
Their job is not to violate the Rights of citizens, what part of that confuses you???

Committing a traffic violation is not tantamount to saying please disregard my Constitutional Rights...smh.
She handed over her license and registration, yes, but after doing that, she had zero intention of being anymore cooperative which is what got her busted and yes, maybe she didn't owe them anything else, but if you don't do what a cop tells you to do, what do you think is going to happen? If the way that she decided to deal with them was the way that she decided to deal with an armed intruder who was ordering her to fork over her money, what do you think would happen to her then?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And that right there is just it. The cop was not asking for anything like her money, credit cards, or jewelry. He asked her to answer one simple question and she couldn't even do that. I am surprised that she actually even left the law approach her. My only question to her is what did she think that she would have lost if she had answered what was being asked of her?
Although I believe she should have been more cooperative, from everything I have read online, she does have to hand the officer any requested documents, like drivers license and proof of insurance. She is not legally bound to speak if the officer asks questions. I personally don't know why someone would deliberately want to be uncooperative.

Although I believe she should have been more cooperative, from everything I have read online, she does have to hand the officer any requested documents, like drivers license and proof of insurance. She is not legally bound to speak if the officer asks questions. I personally don't know why someone would deliberately want to be uncooperative.

While I am not a lawyer I have studied law and have functioned in a para-legal capacity and have spent quite a bit of time with and around lawyers, I can tell you they view many ordinary social interactions through the lens of jurisprudence.

When stopped by a cop for some minor traffic offense, although we know the practice is necessary for preservation of highway and road safety the experience can seem offensive, especially if the cop who stops us tends to present himself with a bit of authoritative swagger. So if this young trooper came on to this woman in a way that pushed the wrong button I can well understand her very feminine technique of dealing with him.

She is a lawyer and understands her right to remain silent

She exercised it and police viewed noncooperation as obstruction

How do you obstruct a speeding ticket?

Forum List

Back