Name Your City

Easy one.
York is the finest city in the world.

An absolute must for any traveler.
York in Yorkshire UK?

PS are you a train spotter?

York is a wonderful city.
Trains, other than a visit to the museum, hold little interest for me, save for the odd photo of people doing silly things on them.
The railway museum is worth a visit, even for non anoraks.

I like London. If I was to live over there for any reason, I think I would enjoy living in London. I don't find the food in the UK to be the best I've ever eaten but other than that I like everything else about the UK. I've been to many other places in Europe and found something to like about the other cities I've been to over there but London stands out for me.

What?! You don't like mutton and boiled beef?

Trains, other than a visit to the museum, hold little interest for me, save for the odd photo of people doing silly things on them.

I spend about 4 hours in the NRM each time I'm in York. Also the Castle Museum - love the Victorian Street. At The Minster, a half hour or so watching the stonemasons and then a visit to The Orb inside to see the latest progress on the stained glass.

Out of York, Yorkshire Air Museum to step back into the World War II era. Also, if time permits. Ripon for a full day at Fountains Abbey. I'll be up there for two weeks later this year - staying in Ripon and doing day trips to Coldstones Cut, Thirsk, Skipton, Richmond Castle, Middleham Castle and a few more. Bus service out of Ripon is very good and lodgings are about 1/3 to 1/2 the price you pay in York.

now that I am in Shanghai working...

Have you ever been to Wuxi?

Not yet, Unkotare. I have only been here 30 days as of tomorrow, and I am still getting my bearings in the city where I am at. So much to do here, and even more opportunity. I will look into this Wuxi, though. Is that the Penying spelling, by the way? Just want to know I am Googling the right place.

I did make one climb on May Day, since that is a holiday here. That was in the park at Tien Tai, in Zhejiang Province. I was expecting nothing special, but once getting there, I was amazed at the magnificence. It was harder than I was prepared for, and even more awe inspiring.

I spend about 4 hours in the NRM each time I'm in York. Also the Castle Museum - love the Victorian Street. At The Minster, a half hour or so watching the stonemasons and then a visit to The Orb inside to see the latest progress on the stained glass.

Out of York, Yorkshire Air Museum to step back into the World War II era. Also, if time permits. Ripon for a full day at Fountains Abbey. I'll be up there for two weeks later this year - staying in Ripon and doing day trips to Coldstones Cut, Thirsk, Skipton, Richmond Castle, Middleham Castle and a few more. Bus service out of Ripon is very good and lodgings are about 1/3 to 1/2 the price you pay in York.

Try Malham, if you enjoy walking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mal...5.9609j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Camping with morning walks at first light are best.

now that I am in Shanghai working...

Have you ever been to Wuxi?

Not yet, Unkotare. I have only been here 30 days as of tomorrow, and I am still getting my bearings in the city where I am at. So much to do here, and even more opportunity. I will look into this Wuxi, though. Is that the Penying spelling, by the way? Just want to know I am Googling the right place..

Yes, that is the pinying.

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

Stockholm sound very nice. Someday I'll make it up there. But I couldn't live there because of the weather, must be in a sunny, warm location.

Then it's Australia for you! well outside or Florida, Arizona etc that is.

No real need for Americans to travel overseas to anywhere, America has it all.

Sun, sand, surf, snow, plains, mountains, forests, major theme parks, Hollywood etc etc etc.
Snow looks great, but it's so cold, and wet...and has to be shovelled off driveways etc.
Icy roads...bad news.

Stockholm's a nice city.

It's pretty weird walking around a city at 10pm with the sun still shining but nobody in the streets.

Try July. The entire month there is no true dark at all. You get up at three in the morning for a 6am run, and realize your mistake. It's three o'clock, and it looks like dawn.

Sydney today Sat...almost winter...cloudless blue skies, sunny, 25 degrees C, no wind.

Was the same weather all this past week, and forecast for all next week.
The autumn rains of some weeks ago have made everything green.
Full moon last night.

It's just lovely.

When I travel I think of a city, any city as something I have to pass through to get to the mountains, the valleys, the desert etc.

I have yet to spend any appreciable amount of my vacation time in a city and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Easy one.
York is the finest city in the world.

An absolute must for any traveler.
York in Yorkshire UK?

This is our local city, if you like York. The only drawback is its one of the most popular destinations for American tourists.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...nDu6S7AbJ8IGYCQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=653

York in Yorkshire UK?

This is our local city, if you like York. The only drawback is its one of the most popular destinations for American tourists.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...nDu6S7AbJ8IGYCQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=653

I've had the great pleasure of visiting Chester many times over about 20 years.
There are so many cheap, but clean, guest houses within easy reach of the centre; probably the best Indian restaurant that side of the hills and the North Wales line to get you up and down the Welsh coast.
Sadly, the latter has died a death over time but there are still a few nice places.
Walking the walls is both interesting and relaxing.

There are so many cheap, but clean, guest houses within easy reach of the centre; probably the best Indian restaurant that side of the hills and the North Wales line to get you up and down the Welsh coast.
Sadly, the latter has died a death over time but there are still a few nice places.
Thank you, this is my second home, my wife comes from here.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...ON7Aba1oCwBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=653

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...ON7Aba1oCwBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=653

I'm pretty sure, iif I had the chance, that would be my first home.

I'm pretty sure, iif I had the chance, that would be my first home.
its great in the summer, but winter is a nightmare:eusa_angel:

My city is one of the best city in the world mostly tourist come toward in my city to see the beauty of the world ALBERTA is my home town and its extra ordinary beautiful city...

Er, "Alberta" is neither a town nor a city.

We are on the back end of a trip to Italy, and I was totally blown away by Venice.

I think this is my favourite city in Europe.

Er, "Alberta" is neither a town nor a city.

We are on the back end of a trip to Italy, and I was totally blown away by Venice.

I think this is my favourite city in Europe.

I've been to Venice on several occasions. When I was working in Dubai some of the lads I went skiing with suggested we go to Venice instead of Amsterdam. Spent most of my time stoned on hash I bought off a black fella that was trying to sell me fake aftershave. Taken the missus there three times now.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back