National housing shortage getting worse.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

"We're seeing a shortage, or housing underproduction, in all corners of the U.S.," says Mike Kingsella, the CEO of Up for Growth, which on Thursday released a study about the problem. The nonprofit research group is made up of affordable housing and industry groups.

"America's fallen 3.8 million homes short of meeting housing needs," he says. "And that's both rental housing and ownership."

I am not sure what the solution is. The article gives a few ideas, changing zoning laws for one to allow more affordable housing to be built. But that assumes anyone will build it. In my neck of the woods all the new housing being built are huge houses of "Luxury apartments". It seems nobody builds what many of us called "starter homes" back in the day.

Clearly the rising mortgage rates will not help the situation.

This is one of those things that is just going to fester till it explodes, which will not be good.

"Affordable housing" is a myth ... it's expensive, very expensive ...

Zoning laws are fine ... these keep the people spread out enough for public sanitation ... large concentrations of high-rise apartments require bigger stronger infrastructure ...

Building codes can be looked at ... and some savings had by scaling back some of the more stupid requirements ...

A surprise expensive here is the high cost of medical care ... worker's comp premiums were out the stratosphere when I was an active contractor ... it's tenfold worse today ... cheap housing comes with bosses being able to put the worker out of their misery ... if you know what I mean ...

But mostly it's the cost of labor and materials ... only the Rich can afford to build, and they build to suit their richness ... capitalism at it's finest ... the poor can work two jobs so that the third of their income they give to their landlord is more ... [ka'ching] ...

"We're seeing a shortage, or housing underproduction, in all corners of the U.S.," says Mike Kingsella, the CEO of Up for Growth, which on Thursday released a study about the problem. The nonprofit research group is made up of affordable housing and industry groups.

"America's fallen 3.8 million homes short of meeting housing needs," he says. "And that's both rental housing and ownership."

I am not sure what the solution is. The article gives a few ideas, changing zoning laws for one to allow more affordable housing to be built. But that assumes anyone will build it. In my neck of the woods all the new housing being built are huge houses of "Luxury apartments". It seems nobody builds what many of us called "starter homes" back in the day.

This is one of those things that is just going to fester till it explodes, which will not be good.

What you astonishingly neglected to mention is the unprecedented and shocking rental housing INFLATION going on (100-200%), exacerabated by the SHORTAGE.
I know what the solution is. >>
1.Stop letting millions of people from 161 countries come pouring into the country, and then airlifting them into US cities.
2. Carry out a mass deportation program similar to Eisenhower's 1954 Operation Wetback.
3. Get rid of state anti-rent control laws, preventing cities from enacting rent control.
4. Enact rent control laws, with RENT ROLLBACKS to 2018 levels.

Last edited:

Yep, it's the zoning laws. The requirement for the size of lots purchased to either build, or install modular homes has to change. The problem being local landowners who have McMansions on large tracts of land, or home owners associations, lobby to prevent starter homes on small lots that are adjacent, because they are only concerned about their property value for resale.

Of course, that premium value becomes less important when it comes time to pay taxes.

You might take this the wrong way, but I agree with George Carlin on the issue. We should take all of the golf courses, and turn them into public housing, and small lots for starter homes. Enough land there to create those 3.8 million homes easily.

There always seems to be those that think public housing should be an inner city project. I call bullshit. Public housing, and starter home lots should be put in the suburbs, and rural areas. You know, where the white flight class moves to get away from it.

That would create a miraculous solution to the problem in about 24 hours.

So now the president is responsible for housing starts, amazing power spectrum he has.
He is partially responsible for the shortage by suddenly filling up the cities with thousands of new people looking for housing.

He is partially responsible for the shortage by suddenly filling up the cities with thousands of new people looking for housing.

I see, Biden is such a powerful man. The shortages started after the Trump infusion of public funds to pay for rent and mortgages and the Trump mandated eviction moratorium.

Yep, it's the zoning laws. The requirement for the size of lots purchased to either build, or install modular homes has to change. The problem being local landowners who have McMansions on large tracts of land, or home owners associations, lobby to prevent starter homes on small lots that are adjacent, because they are only concerned about their property value for resale.

Of course, that premium value becomes less important when it comes time to pay taxes.

You might take this the wrong way, but I agree with George Carlin on the issue. We should take all of the golf courses, and turn them into public housing, and small lots for starter homes. Enough land there to create those 3.8 million homes easily.

There always seems to be those that think public housing should be an inner city project. I call bullshit. Public housing, and starter home lots should be put in the suburbs, and rural areas. You know, where the white flight class moves to get away from it.

Oly if Biden stops filling up the cities with illegal aliens, Otherwise, all that new housing will just go to Bidens new arrivals, and Americans still will have a housing shortage.

What you astonishingly neglected to mention is the unprecedented and shocking rental housing INFLATION going on (100-200%), exacerabated by the SHORTAGE.
1.Stop letting millions of people from 161 countries come pouring into the country, and then airlifting them into US cities.
2. Carry out a mass deporttion program similiar to Eisenhower's 1954 Operation Wetback.
3. Get rid of state anti-rent control laws, preventing cities from enacting rent control.

You sound like one of those people who believes the government should operate as it was intended to.

What kind of a heretic are you, anyway? :laughing0301:

Honestly, would you really want them living next to you?

Oh wait....you are them, aren't you?

The problem being local landowners who have McMansions on large tracts of land, or home owners associations, lobby to prevent starter homes on small lots that are adjacent, because they are only concerned about their property value for resale.
That is a legitimate concern. A person who spends $300K and up for their home would like to have some protection against unnecessary deflation. If you want starter homes (I believe they are absolutely necessary) then build complete subdivisions of them. They should not be built in the same subdivision with upscale properties. What is your objection to this? Is it that the inevitable slum will ensue? If that is your concern, you can count yourself solidly in the column that chooses to protect their investments.

2. Carry out a mass deportation program similar to Eisenhower's 1954 Operation Wetback.

that was also addressed in the article.

Started when Biden started pumping people into the cities.

That started before Biden. The truth is, this administration doesn't really have any new or unique ideas. Everything they've come up with so far has been a continuation of the Obama presidency. He was the one who got the ball rolling on the reverse-gentrification of previously-safe communities and rural areas. What do you think all those Census Bureau community surveys were about? I just recently had to fill one out, under the threat of duress. Obama was the one who sought to turn nice safe neighborhoods into urban shitholes full of crime, drugs, and decay, because that's ultimately what Democrats do. And like Obama's old white step-n-fetchit and butt-boy, Joe Biden is pushing the same nonsense on us.

That started before Biden. The truth is, this administration doesn't really have any new or unique ideas. Everything they've come up with so far has been a continuation of the Obama presidency. He was the one who got the ball rolling on the reverse-gentrification of previously-safe communities and rural areas. What do you think all those Census Bureau community surveys were about? I just recently had to fill one out, under the threat of duress. Obama was the one who sought to turn nice safe neighborhoods into urban shitholes full of crime, drugs, and decay. And like Obama's white step-n-fetchit and butt-boy, Joe Biden is pushing the same n nonsense on us.
The census was two years ago.

NPR is bitching about it, and yet it's what they voted for?

That's rich. :laughing0301:

yes, Biden is responsible for the lack of housing being built over the last 12 years.

Fuck, you people are stupid

Forum List

Back