Nationalism - do you have a problem with? If so, why?

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
I'll go with Wikipedia's definition of nationalism because I believe it is accurate. Here is their definition:

Nationalism is an ideology and movement characterized by the promotion of the interests of a particular nation, especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland.

• Banned
Many on the left associate nationalism with fascism and shun it. That is a short-sighted view. There is nothing wrong with loving your nation and putting the interests of your fellow citizens first. I wonder how many leftists bash nationalism and then put on their favorite team's jersey and scream like mad for the home team.

If Nationalism means getting rid of the left and the Democrats, I'm all for it!

I believe that as a whole, the nation as a whole can do well without Liberalism.

Just sayin'....

Nationalism is fine as long as it is not used to advance tyranny. At best it is a tool used to promote a positive national identity but at it's worst it is the thing that makes dictators possible. Make no mistake, nationalism is akin to religious faith except in this case the higher power is the government and it's leaders and is itself a tool for control.

I have a problem how Americans are put before illegals. This is racist.

If Nationalism means getting rid of the left and the Democrats, I'm all for it!

I believe that as a whole, the nation as a whole can do well without Liberalism.

Just sayin'....
You and people who think like you are why Nationalism is viewed negatively. You represent the fascist influence on today's nationalism, dragging white supremacy, racism, and bigotry under the nationalism banner.

Nationalism is fine as long as it is not used to advance tyranny. At best it is a tool used to promote a positive national identity but at it's worst it is the thing that makes dictators possible. Make no mistake, nationalism is akin to religious faith except in this case the higher power is the government and it's leaders and is itself a tool for control.
dictators make themselves--not nationalism
.....in 1930s Germany and Russia, in Uganda, Iraq, etc, a lot of people are against the leaders--but are for the nation .....
...hitler/Stalin, Saddam, Amin take over with violence or threat of/bloody coups and coups
....hitler used murder and violence
..Stalin killed his own people also....
....nationalism does not create dictators

The Left will encourage and celebrate Black and Brown nationalism to the nth degree....only White nationalism is bad...just ask a twisted Lefty.

I prefer patriotism over nationalism.

The Difference Between 'Patriotism' and 'Nationalism'

These two words may have shared a distinct sense in the 19th century, but they appear to have grown apart since. Or rather, it would be more accurate to say that only nationalism has grown apart, since the meaning of patriotism has remained largely unchanged. There are still obvious areas of overlap: we define patriotism as “love for or devotion to one’s country” and nationalism in part as “loyalty and devotion to a nation.” But the definition of nationalism also includes “exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups.” This exclusionary aspect is not shared by patriotism.​

These two words may have shared a distinct sense in the 19th century, but they appear to have grown apart since. Or rather, it would be more accurate to say that only nationalism has grown apart, since the meaning of patriotism has remained largely unchanged. There are still obvious areas of overlap: we define patriotism as “love for or devotion to one’s country” and nationalism in part as “loyalty and devotion to a nation.” But the definition of nationalism also includes “exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups.” This exclusionary aspect is not shared by patriotism.​

Why would you oppose the “promotion of American culture and interests” in the United States Of America?
Isn’t this why the Left is despised by real Americans?

Why would you oppose the “promotion of American culture and interests” in the United States Of America?

America's culture is a hodgepodge of what immigrants brought with them. I don't wish to stifle the source of what made America real.

America's culture is a hodgepodge of what immigrants brought with them. I don't wish to stifle the source of what made America real.

Does that mean you believe there is no “american culture”?

-------------------------------------- I pretty much like the EXCLUSIONARY parts better than the Inclusive parts '2Penny' .

Forum List

Back