Native American Gun

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Well not really.

DSCN4911.JPG

I came across this old Remington Rolling Block 20 ga shotgun the other weekl.....A guy gave it to me for helping him with some stuff.....Gee thanks!

It was a Bannerman conversion of a RRB in .43 Spanish on Remington's #1 action, many of which saw use in the West as a cheap yet reliable shotgun.

No finish, the action was froze shut, the extractor was broken, the last few inches of the barrel was a cratered sewer pipe, and the stock was as dry as a popcorn fart.

It was pretty much a POS but I saw "possibilities". ;)

I got it apart and the action cleaned up and ordered an extractor and installed it. It worked fine.

I made a repair at the wrist then slathered the stock in heated raw linseed oil and got it up to snuff.

OK, now what to do with the barrel?

:yes_text12: I'll make an Injun' Gun out of it!

I chopped the barrel to 18.25", rebeaded it, and got out my jar of solid brass round head pins and went to work.

DSCN4929.JPG

I tried not to get too gaudy with it and patterned it after the design on a NA used Sharpes carbine I saw online.

Lakota (Sioux) Chief Touch the Clouds had a RRB but I suspect it was a rifled carbine of some caliber from .22 to .50-70.

Touch_the_Clouds_1877a.jpg

Last edited:
Well not really.

View attachment 1007635

I came across this old Remington Rolling Block 20 ga shotgun the other weekl.....A guy gave it to me for helping him with some stuff.....Gee thanks!

It was a Bannerman conversion of a RRB in .43 Spanish on Remington's #1 action, many of which saw use in the West as a cheap yet reliable shotgun.

No finish, the action was froze shut, the extractor was broken, the last few inches of the barrel was a cratered sewer pipe, and the stock was as dry as a popcorn fart.

It was pretty much a POS but I saw "possibilities". ;)

I got it apart and the action cleaned up and ordered an extractor and installed it. It worked fine.

I made a repair at the wrist then slathered the stock in heated raw linseed oil and got it up to snuff.

OK, now what to do with the barrel?

:yes_text12: I'll make an Injun' Gun out of it!

I chopped the barrel to 18.25", rebeaded it, and got out my jar of solid brass round head pins and went to work.

View attachment 1007643

I tried not to get too gaudy with it and patterned it after the design on a NA used Sharpes carbine I saw online.

Lakota (Sioux) Chief Touch the Clouds had a RRB but I suspect it was a rifled carbine of some caliber from .22 to .50-70.

Touch_the_Clouds_1877a.jpg

Tie a couple of Turkey or Eagle feathers on the leather strap.

Forum List

Back