Netflix Continues Production In Egypt, Where Abortion Is Illegal, While Considering Georgia Boycott

In regard to abortion, Egypt is like the US a hundred years ago. Despite legal restrictions, abortions are very common with over 2,000 deaths a year from unsafe abortions. With the country controlled by the religious right, there is virtually no support for overturning abortion laws. Netflix is far more likely to impact the abortion issue in Georgia than Egypt.

It's not just Netflix, a number of other companies that include the following are considering following Netflix depending on how things work out. One executive said, "When half your workforce says they would not want to live in a state with such restrictive laws, you have to consider not only your employees but also how your customers feeling.
NBCUniversal
Walt Disney
WarnerMedia
Viacom
AMC Networks
CBS and Showtime

This can work both ways...

Fluck Disney and all the other Tard company's...

I wonder why Netflix and Disney are singling out Georgia? Ohio, Kentucky and Mississippi all have similar legislation, yet nothing is being planned for them.
Netflix has a number of productions either going on or planned for Georgia. They have several facilities. They are advertising on the Internet now for employees.

Disney has a half dozen retail outlets in Georgia, two resorts and a filming facility.

I wonder why Netflix and Disney are singling out Georgia? Ohio, Kentucky and Mississippi all have similar legislation, yet nothing is being planned for them.
Netflix has a number of productions either going on or planned in Georgia. They have several facilities. They are advertising on the Internet now for employees. Disney has a half dozen retail outlets in Georgia, two resorts and filming facility.

So, they will continue to sell movies in Georgia and their subscribers will continue? Lol!

In regard to abortion, Egypt is like the US a hundred years ago. Despite legal restrictions, abortions are very common with over 2,000 deaths a year from unsafe abortions. With the country controlled by the religious right, there is virtually no support for overturning abortion laws. Netflix is far more likely to impact the abortion issue in Georgia than Egypt.
The Georgia heartbeat law is a bit extreme. This is exactly the type of push back I'd expect.
Many companies actually do face a real problem with locating or doing business in a state with strong anti-abortion laws. In a Gallup poll, 74% of women between the ages of 18 and 44 opposed overturning Rowe v Wade.

The Georgia heartbeat law is a bit extreme. This is exactly the type of push back I'd expect.
Many companies actually do face a real problem with locating or doing business in a state with strong anti-abortion laws. In a Gallup poll, 74% of women between the ages of 18 and 44 opposed overturning Rowe v Wade.
Because they are afraid a state might pass a heartbeat abortion ban.

Netflix has a number of productions either going on or planned in Georgia. They have several facilities. They are advertising on the Internet now for employees. Disney has a half dozen retail outlets in Georgia, two resorts and filming facility.

So, they will continue to sell movies in Georgia and their subscribers will continue? Lol!
Where this comes into play is when a company is considering expanding or opening a new location or new project. When key employees say I'm not going to live there or a business partner objects, it's a consideration. To men, it may not make much difference but to women of childbearing age it makes a big difference.

Right now all this does not amount to much. However, if a district court and a court of appeals sides with the state, things will heat up considerably. Trump is riding the fence right now opposing the Alabama law but unless this is settled soon he's going have to take a position which will cost him votes among women voters either way.

Right now all this does not amount to much. However, if a district court and a court of appeals sides with the state, things will heat up considerably. Trump is riding the fence right now opposing the Alabama law but unless this is settled soon he's going have to take a position which will cost him votes among women voters either way.
A president should not even have the power to influence abortion laws anyway, they should be decided upon by each state, to suit the type of society their residents want there laws to reflect.

These recent laws are being written in a way to invoke a SCOTUS challenge. I think most of these laws were written much stricter than they would otherwise. They want the court to strike down Roe V Wade and send these things back to the states to decide. Then they will rewrite their abortion laws to be more inline with their voters, and not as strict as the are written now.

At least that is my thinking on this, from what I have heard from some of the politicians who wrote their new and very strict abortion laws.

Where this comes into play is when a company is considering expanding or opening a new location or new project. When key employees say I'm not going to live there or a business partner objects, it's a consideration. To men, it may not make much difference but to women of childbearing age it makes a big difference.

So Disney and Netflix will stop producing movies in Georgia because key employees won’t move there? I find that extremely hard to believe.

A president should not even have the power to influence abortion laws anyway, they should be decided upon by each state, to suit the type of society their residents want there laws to reflect.

These recent laws are being written in a way to invoke a SCOTUS challenge. I think most of these laws were written much stricter than they would otherwise. They want the court to strike down Roe V Wade and send these things back to the states to decide. Then they will rewrite their abortion laws to be more inline with their voters, and not as strict as the are written now.

At least that is my thinking on this, from what I have heard from some of the politicians who wrote their new and very strict abortion laws.
The appeals court may simply use the Rowe v Wade decision to strike down the law or they may chose to uphold the law for whatever reason. SCOTUS has the option of whether to hear the case or not. If the court of apparels upholds Rowe v Wade. They most likely will not since the SCOTUS rarely overturns a previous decision. However if the court of appeals sides with the state, SCOTUS is going have to hear the case.

The abortion debate does not end with Rowe v Wade. If the courts should overturn it, then abortion rights will be decided state by state. It appears that 3/4 of the states will allow some form of abortion and nearly half will allow nearly unrestricted abortions just as it is now. In states where abortion is illegal, those seeking abortion will travel out state for an abortion. Those who can not afford it will either have the unwanted child, likely to become supported by the tax payer or resort to a back alley abortion. That's the way I see it playing out.

Did they bother to poll how many of those women had any idea what that actually entailed? Let's remember that less than half of Americans can correctly name the three branches of federal government. Even more Americans can't tell you what's in the Bill of Rights.

Did they bother to poll how many of those women had any idea what that actually entailed? Let's remember that less than half of Americans can correctly name the three branches of federal government. Even more Americans can't tell you what's in the Bill of Rights.
Regardless of whether they can name the 3 branches of goverment, they certain understand that without Rowe v Wade, the government can force them to give birth to the baby of a man that raped them or a baby that will never walk, talk, or even recognize it's mother. You don't need a civics lesson to understand that.

Last edited:
Not all, but in most states it's pretty clear which ones are going to adopt anti-abortion laws.

They are only banning films in that area because of the LGBTQ has joined alliance with the Pro-Lifers. But George Soros that controls Netflix, wants to put the LGBTQ community, back in their place. And there are a lots of LGBTQ that are actors.

Unfortunately, the March for Life was frequently caught up in this debate. Pro-life gays and lesbians were specifically excluded from the March for Life — leading some pro-life liberals to form counter protests such as the Left Side of the March as an attempt to recognize the nontraditional people who are passionately opposed to abortion and want to be included in the March along with the typical pro-life participant.
https://www.lifenews.com/2014/09/15/do-gays-and-lesbians-have-a-place-in-the-pro-life-movement/

“The pro-life movement’s message to care for an unwanted, unexpected, or inconvenient baby is precisely the kind of message that teaches our society to accept people where they are and to care for other marginalized or stigmatized groups—the elderly, racial minorities, the so-called ‘imperfect’ or disabled, and the LGBT community,” Daleiden wrote.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/pro-lifers-cozy-up-to-lgbt-movement

March 24 (Reuters) - Anne Hathaway, Julianne Moore and some 30 other Hollywood actors and directors added their voice on Thursday to entertainment industry threats to boycott Georgia if the U.S. state’s governor signs a new law seen as discriminating against gay people.

Movie and TV studios 21st Century Fox, NBC Universal and Time Warner joined Walt Disney , AMC, Viacom and Marvel Entertainment in either opposing the bill, or saying they would take their productions elsewhere.

Lured by tax incentives, more than 240 film and TV shows were filmed in Georgia last year, bringing an estimated $1.7 billion into the state. They included AMC’s hit zombie TV series “The Walking Dead,” Disney’s “Ant-Man” film and Lionsgate Entertainment Corp’s “Allegiant” movie.

Hollywood actors join Georgia boycott threats over gay bill - Reuters

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Atlanta-known-as-a-gay-capital

https://www.ajc.com/events/festivals/why-this-georgia-mountain-town-has-become-gay-friendly-hot-spot/jszaFCR3jmKjsNjbcsb8WJ/

Not all, but in most states it's pretty clear which ones are going to adopt anti-abortion laws.
At some point along a woman's pregnancy, that clump of cells becomes what we understand to be a real human baby, and to kill it for the sake of convenience would be the killing a person.

For some folks,they want to ban even the morning after pill.

For other folks the fetus is never viewed as a human being until it's born. And even if it needs life saving medical care after it's born, it's still up to the mother whether she wants to deny it that care and let the baby die.

Others think elective abortions should be legal until the 8th month where the fetus can survive outside the womb.

Somewhere in the middle is where most of us are. Viewing the first trimester as the only period where a mother can end a pregnancy with an elective abortion, for any reason, or no reason at all.

If society had been allowed to have this discussion on abortion, we'd already come to our own conclusions, and have abortion laws passed state by state. We would not be witnessing the circus that's going on now. But the SCOTUS took away that conversation, and we still need to have it.

Oh, do not even get me started on the hypocrisy and arrogance of the entertainment industry and its denizens trying to dictate public policy. Those clowns need to shut the hell up and be grateful they get to be overpaid court jesters for a living.
Like Disney claiming they are concerned with Rights and freedoms, meanwhile they send their people to do business in China.

Disney Threatens To Boycott Georgia But Partners With China, Which Puts Muslims In Internment Camps

The Walt Disney Company is considering boycotting Georgia over its new abortion law, even as Disney profits from doing business in China, a notorious human rights violator that is putting Muslims in internment camps.

Disney CEO Bob Iger told Reuters on Thursday the company is likely to cease filming in Georgia if the pro-life law takes effect.

“I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard,” Iger said. “Right now we are watching it very carefully.”

“If [the bill] becomes law, I don’t see how it’s practical for us to continue to shoot there,” Iger said.

Forum List

Back