New Curfew Law May Cost Parents $500 If Teens are Out Past 11:00

I dont know if it was just me but there is more to the article I didnt see the first time for some reason. The $550 dollar fine can be waived if the person signs up for parenting classes. Sounds like a hollow law that will probably help a few people. However, I can already see the bored, inattentive faces of the parents who are just going through the motions.

You know, I worked with inner city parents who largely meant well with their children but didn't know how to deal with them. I give them more credit than you do. Many may seek answers and ask for help.

I agree its going to help some. However, I grew up in the inner city and I know the $500 is going to cause some resentment. Couple that with a lot of those parents having given up they will just go to the class and never change their ways. It has good intentions and will benefit some. I just think they need to find a better way than punishing people. That hardly ever works.

Some parents may decide...This is going to cost me in the long run...$150 or $500 I'll tell my kid, he goes along with the curfew for 8 months and $150 is his to buy what ever he wants... shoes, video games, or data for his phone. Whatever. If he is successful, then tell him, you just don't have the money to continue to do it again, but will try to honor what he would like if reasonable when they work together and honor the curfew. Emphasize 'working togethe'r and really try to honor his wishes when he does hold to the curfew.

Keep the "working together" strategy in many efforts of home life and decision making with teens. Keeping their wishes in mind make decisions the are palatable for them as well as you, the parent. It just may work.

If the coons would behave, you wouldn't need a curfew.

When there is nothing to hide, nobody minds. If a curfew is what it takes to keep kids out of trouble at night, then so be it.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Last edited:
What is the OTHER end of the curfew? At 14, my wife would be out jogging or roller skating by 4:30am most days! (She still is, when not working late.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back