New food labeling rule under ObamaCare

I case you have not noticed, all this shit is slowly breaking down America financially and Obama is the the reason ,wake-up fools, bread lines are coming .You should be mad as hell !

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rGIY5Vyj4YM]I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore - YouTube[/ame]

Supermarkets cry foul as FDA proposes new food labeling rule under ObamaCare

If the Food and Drug Administration gets its way, your trip to the grocery store could get a tad pricier.

Supermarket owners argue a pending federal food-labeling rule that stems from the new health care law would overburden thousands of grocers and convenience store owners -- to the tune of $1 billion in the first year alone.

Store owner Tom Heinen said the industry's profit margins already are razor thin. "When you incur a significant cost, there is no way that that doesn't get passed on to the customer in some form," he said.

The rule stems from an ObamaCare mandate that restaurants provide nutrition information on menus. Most in the restaurant industry were supportive of the idea, but when the FDA decided to extend the provision to also affect thousands of supermarkets and convenience stores, the backlash was swift.

The proposed regulation would require store owners to label prepared, unpackaged foods found in salad bars and food bars, soups and bakery items. Erik Lieberman, regulatory counsel at the Food Marketing Institute, said testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software or even more costly off-site laboratory assessments.

Lieberman said failure to get it right comes with stiff penalties: "If you get it wrong, it's a federal crime, and you could face jail time and thousands of dollars worth of fines."

Read more: Supermarkets cry foul as FDA proposes new food labeling rule under ObamaCare | Fox News

I'm gonna have to part ways with most of my right wing pals on this one....

While I oppose excessive regulations, and have posted same, my rule is that data informs policy.

My personal policy is to read labels, make decisions accordingly.

And as much as I hate to agree with poopsy, less than a nickel seems little enough to pay for that kind of information that I would like to have.

Ever wonder how it's possible that we have people who are over 100 years old? They never had all these government regulations and had to figure things out on their own.

Actually there are plenty of people over 100 years old who have had to deal with the harsh burden of getting to know what is in their food.

If the Food and Drug Administration gets its way, your trip to the grocery store could get a tad pricier.

Supermarket owners argue a pending federal food-labeling rule that stems from the new health care law would overburden thousands of grocers and convenience store owners -- to the tune of $1 billion in the first year alone.

Wow. 1 BILLION? That means on average each of us will pay an entire extra NICKEL per week on groceries. That's going to kill us all!

My grocer could make up that difference easily by simply putting more than 2 things in a damn bag.
The death of one thousand cuts.

I had no idea that knowledge of the content of food was the same as getting cut by a knife.

Great. More regulations/requirements from Big Gov that will cost businesses alot of money

Guess we can count of the cost of food going up........again.

It is only on their non-prepackaged items like their salad bars, made to go sandwiches and deli meats. It comes from requiring restaurants (including fast food) to list their nutritional in take. I personally think this is a long time coming and should have been done a while ago.

It's not telling you what to eat it's providing you informed consent!

Great. More regulations/requirements from Big Gov that will cost businesses alot of money

Somehow liberals think that burdening businesses with more regulation costs, will somehow lead to more job hires :cuckoo: Yet we wonder why the economy has been acting so sluggish and weak, without signs of any substantial strong improvement since Obama took office

And Obama still has the gall to stand up in front of the microphones and say with a straight face that it's the Republicans' fault.

Store owner Tom Heinen said the industry's profit margins already are razor thin. "When you incur a significant cost, there is no way that that doesn't get passed on to the customer in some form," he said.

The rule stems from an ObamaCare mandate that restaurants provide nutrition information on menus. Most in the restaurant industry were supportive of the idea, but when the FDA decided to extend the provision to also affect thousands of supermarkets and convenience stores, the backlash was swift.

The proposed regulation would require store owners to label prepared, unpackaged foods found in salad bars and food bars, soups and bakery items. Erik Lieberman, regulatory counsel at the Food Marketing Institute, said testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software or even more costly off-site laboratory assessments.

Lieberman said failure to get it right comes with stiff penalties: "If you get it wrong, it's a federal crime, and you could face jail time and thousands of dollars worth of fines."

Read more: Supermarkets cry foul as FDA proposes new food labeling rule under ObamaCare | Fox News

I'm gonna have to part ways with most of my right wing pals on this one....

While I oppose excessive regulations, and have posted same, my rule is that data informs policy.

My personal policy is to read labels, make decisions accordingly.

And as much as I hate to agree with poopsy, less than a nickel seems little enough to pay for that kind of information that I would like to have.

I agree with you. We should know what we are buying and eating.

I don't think it is the cost of implementing the labeling that concerns these grocers. It is the cost of lost sales that will result when people find out what crap they're putting out there.

Diabetes is a national epidemic. Poor nutrition has become as American as red, white, and blue. Everyone should at least have the tools and information they need to make informed decisions.

I think accurate labeling of product is very critical. especially with all of the alteration ad additives being used today

AND those of us who need to eat. Oh well, no surprises and more to come. Obammy's goal is power and control, and one of the fastest ways to achieve that is to make the citizen powerless over their own lives, by breaking them economically. So far, so good!

People cannot be trusted to make decisions on what to eat or drink. They need a nanny state to make these decisions for them. How far off the mark was Chris Rock. We need Papa government to care for us.

AND those of us who need to eat. Oh well, no surprises and more to come. Obammy's goal is power and control, and one of the fastest ways to achieve that is to make the citizen powerless over their own lives, by breaking them economically. So far, so good!

So what makes one powerless?

The information necessary to make an informed choice? Or the lack of information necessary to make an informed choice?

Does demanding information also mean demanding a particular decision? Nope.

You just haven't thought this post through very well imho.

Last edited:
People cannot be trusted to make decisions on what to eat or drink. They need a nanny state to make these decisions for them. How far off the mark was Chris Rock. We need Papa government to care for us.

You seem confused. Labeling is predicated on the assumption that people can and should be trusted to make their own decisions. Make sure they have access to information and let them run with it.

I don't think it is the cost of implementing the labeling that concerns these grocers. It is the cost of lost sales that will result when people find out what crap they're putting out there.

Diabetes is a national epidemic. Poor nutrition has become as American as red, white, and blue. Everyone should at least have the tools and information they need to make informed decisions.

Yeah, that's it.

:lol:

You seem confused. Labeling is predicated on the assumption that people can and should be trusted to make their own decisions. Make sure they have access to information and let them run with it.

Then why are the nanny-stater's always trying to ban thing they deem detrimental to our health?

Sorry, you're either naive or intentionally being dishonest.

Then why are the nanny-stater's always trying to ban thing they deem detrimental to our health?

Sorry, you're either naive or intentionally being dishonest.

I can't tell what you're disputing. Labels are decision-making tools. They embody the assumption that decision-making responsibility lies in the hands of the individual consumer at the point of purchase. That's the exact opposite philosophy of "They need a nanny state to make these decisions for them."

Forum List

Back