New Guitar...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
When I was on my epic six week road trip, I bought a 2008 Gibson Firebird for $650 from a friend of mine. I don't play much guitar these days, but I bought it just because it was a stupid good deal. I don't even own an amplifier anymore.

Sitting in our local watering hole the other night, I was talking to a friend who plays guitar for a relatively well known country guy. They're getting ready to start their fall tour rehearsals in Nashville, and he expressed an interest in the Firebird. He asked if I was looking for anything because he's got some equipment he's liquidating. He mentioned he had a 2018 Guild D-55E.

Now, I've owned Martin, Taylor, Ovation, Gibson; even a fucking Framus, but never a Guild. The Guild has a street price of $4K and the Firebird has a street price of $2K, so there was going to be some money thrown into the deal by me.

When I asked him how much he had in mind, he said "Well, I was thinking $500, but you're a friend, so how about $400?" I replied "Well, you're a friend and I want to keep it that way, so let's do $500."

We shook hands and the deal was done.

I have to say, this guitar is a lap-cannon. It's three years old, but it really hasn't been played so it hasn't had a chance to open up yet. As an aside, Stan Lynch, former drummer for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, has had the guitar for the last month and expressed an interest in it, but he ultimately opted out.

I've been wanting to get back into playing, but I just haven't felt inspired to do it. Maybe this new guitar will cure what ails me.

So, basically, for $1,150 I got a guitar which has a list price of $5K. It's in excellent condition. I can't wait for this thing to find its voice:

guild01.jpg
guild02.jpg

Nice one!

Play it in good health

Thanks! I was playing it in good health until around four this morning! It's been a while since I've played, though, so my fingertips now want me dead.

I've found this stuff, but haven't ordered it yet:

71EEqouMvFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product

It allows you to build up natural callouses with less pain. It's only $13 a bottle, so I'll probably give it a try...

Pawn shop Takamine- $150View attachment 504711

I used to work for a Takamine dealer many moons ago. They're great stage guitars, but I never warmed up to the acoustic sound of them. I don't know what pickups they use these days but, back around 2002/2003 they were using what they called "Cool Tube Technology" which used a 12AX7 in the pre-amp, and it produced a somewhat warmer tone than say, a straight piezo system...

Forum List

Back