🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New gun law requires owners to report missing firearms

Remember, Illinois had to be forced by the courts to write this law. They put this kind of stuff in so that jackhats like you could make the comments you did.

No dummy, they were forced to rewrite their carry permit law.

Jeez, you people can't one fact straight.

They didn't have a carry permit law.

Talk about not keeping your facts straight.

You know what I mean -- don't play dumb.

So, when a gun is recovered at a crime scene (like a car at a hit and run) what would you suggest they do?

If they recover a stolen car at a crime scene do they blame the owner?

Didn't think so.
No, but they certainly will want to talk to the owner in hopes of finding out who had the car at the time the crime was committed. I'm sure police would want to do the same thing with a gun found at the scene.

Then they are free to ask. What they are not free to do is arrest the owner simply because his gun was stolen.

I was just wondering how long before "taking away the guns" would come up.

The law seems quite reasonable if law enforcement in Illinois ever hopes to have a record of who owns the guns.

Law enforcement doesn't need a record of who owns the guns.

So, when a gun is recovered at a crime scene (like a car at a hit and run) what would you suggest they do?

The exact same thing they would do if it were a knife, a bat or a chunk of concrete...

Last edited:
One day, if they're ever about to come and take everyone's guns, I wonder how many will suddenly be reported 'missing' right before? Mine will :razz:

:laugh:

The law seems quite reasonable if law enforcement in Illinois ever hopes to have a record of who owns the guns.

Why would the government need to know who owns what? How about a background check that merely tells the seller whether you are OK to buy the weapon. The government has no idea what you bought.

That sort of law I would be behind 100%. It checks the buyers and doesn't build up a data base of who owns what. Lists get used. That is a fundamental law of government and after the revelations of all the illegal wiretapping and other criminal behavior they have been caught doing.

Illinois gun owners will have to report missing firearms to police and check the background of potential buyers under a law Gov. Pat Quinn enacted Sunday.

Quinn signed the legislation at a South Side park near where an off-duty Chicago police officer was killed with an illegally trafficked gun in 2010. He said the law will make it easier to recover stolen weapons and help ensure that only responsible people buy firearms. The measure passed both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly with healthy majorities.

Can you believe they actually had to make this a law?? -- to get gun owners to act like responsible citizens. (I believe most of them do)

I'm guessing that's because a lot people in rural areas buy a fancy new AR-15, have some funning killing cans and pumpkins, then the darn thing "goes missing" when it comes time to pay the credit card bill -- they have no idea how it ended up down in Juarez Mexico.

Well you started good, but then you went off the rails with your Mexican talking point.

We all know that Obama's team is more likely the source of Mexican purchases of guns.

One day, if they're ever about to come and take everyone's guns, I wonder how many will suddenly be reported 'missing' right before? Mine will :razz:

Why would the government need to know who owns what? How about a background check that merely tells the seller whether you are OK to buy the weapon. The government has no idea what you bought.

That sort of law I would be behind 100%. It checks the buyers and doesn't build up a data base of who owns what. Lists get used. That is a fundamental law of government and after the revelations of all the illegal wiretapping and other criminal behavior they have been caught doing.
If a gun is used in the commission of a crime, one critical piece of information is the ownership of the gun. Quite often the gun owner, family member or friend is the perpetrator. Although ATF records are far from complete and many records lack ownership information, they do over 335,000 gun tracings a year for law enforce. So yes, it is of value. If it wasn't the police wouldn't be requesting the information.

Last edited:

Illinois gun owners will have to report missing firearms to police and check the background of potential buyers under a law Gov. Pat Quinn enacted Sunday.

Quinn signed the legislation at a South Side park near where an off-duty Chicago police officer was killed with an illegally trafficked gun in 2010. He said the law will make it easier to recover stolen weapons and help ensure that only responsible people buy firearms. The measure passed both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly with healthy majorities.

Can you believe they actually had to make this a law?? -- to get gun owners to act like responsible citizens. (I believe most of them do)

I'm guessing that's because a lot people in rural areas buy a fancy new AR-15, have some funning killing cans and pumpkins, then the darn thing "goes missing" when it comes time to pay the credit card bill -- they have no idea how it ended up down in Juarez Mexico.

Well you started good, but then you went off the rails with your Mexican talking point.

We all know that Obama's team is more likely the source of Mexican purchases of guns.

another one of obama fast n furious guns showed up at a crime scene the other day

If a gun is used in the commission of a crime, one critical piece of information is the ownership of the gun. Quite often the gun owner, family member or friend is the perpetrator. Although ATF records are far from complete and many records lack ownership information, they do over 335,000 gun tracings a year for law enforce. So yes, it is of value. If it wasn't the police wouldn't be requesting the information.

Family member or friend of whom? The gun owner? Do you have something to back that up, or is it another of your arguments that is based on your hope that no one will ever challenge you? If the gun belongs to the victim does that make it a suicide?

Nothing to see here but bigoted, willfull ignorance.

Nor does anybody else.

Family member or friend of whom? The gun owner? Do you have something to back that up, or is it another of your arguments that is based on your hope that no one will ever challenge you? If the gun belongs to the victim does that make it a suicide?
According to the ATF, "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes" Borrowed guns account for ruffly 10%. The remainder of the crimes, about 75% are committed by people using their own guns. To argue that there is no need for a central database of gun ownership information makes no sense.

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS
Walker Bragman: Debunking 18 Pro-Gun Myths[

Nor does anybody else.
I have to register my car in each new state I live in, keep my insurance up to date, have required inspections and submit to a driver's test to get my license. Driving a two thousand pound mass of metal and glass at high speeds should rightly be a big responsibility that everyone should take seriously, that should be regulated to ensure appropriate safety for everyone on the road. Owning a gun should require a similar level of responsibility.

Anyone who wants to own a gun should likewise take a written test on gun safety, proper means of carrying, loading and unloading, and turning the safety on and off to get a gun owner's permit, though actually shooting it must be done with a licensed gun owner. After an appropriate waiting period, gun owners should take an actual test involving everything from loading and unloading, proper storage, even shooting proficiency. And each gun should be registered in each state it travels to, each gun owner should submit to an annual inspection for their weapon, and each gun purchase should come with mandatory liability insurance. The law should require that guns be stowed safely and require reporting of loss of theft. Gun ownership is a right, but with rights come responsibilities.

According to the ATF, "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes" Borrowed guns account for ruffly 10%. The remainder of the crimes, about 75% are committed by people using their own guns. To argue that there is no need for a central database of gun ownership information makes no sense.
You cannot soundly argue -for- such a database - you can only so argue through emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

Nor does anybody else.
I have to register my car in each new state I live in, keep my insurance up to date, have required inspections and submit to a driver's test to get my license.
Because dirving in public roads is a privilege, allwed to you by the state.
That said, I am VERY musch for treating guns as we treat cars - you, OTOH, will not agree.

Anyone who wants to own a gun...
You cannot soundly argue for these conditions - you can only argue through emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

Forum List

Back