New Hampshire Lawmakers Pass Law Allowing Parental Objections To Curriculum

Ok so N.H. wants to take the power out of the hands of the Dept of Education and put it into the hands of the citizens of their state.

Just how does this show they want more govt in their lives (aka big govt)?

The governor was correct in vetoing this democratic assault on republican government.
Again how does taking the power of cirruculum out of hte hands of the Dept of Education and putting it into the hands of local citizens paint those who did it as "big govt"? Regardless of if you think this whole thing is good or bad its definately not giving the govt more power over anything but giving the people more power.

We are envisioned to be a government and a society governed by republican values, meaning the vote of our elected representatives. The Tea Party movement has moved far to the democratic left by turning matters over to the people individually. This will cause a splintering of the public education system under the weight of this populistism. The Founding Fathers would have overwhelmingly opposed this legislation.

The governor was correct in vetoing this democratic assault on republican government.
Again how does taking the power of cirruculum out of hte hands of the Dept of Education and putting it into the hands of local citizens paint those who did it as "big govt"? Regardless of if you think this whole thing is good or bad its definately not giving the govt more power over anything but giving the people more power.

We are envisioned to be a government and a society governed by republican values, meaning the vote of our elected representatives. The Tea Party movement has moved far to the democratic left by turning matters over to the people individually. This will cause a splintering of the public education system under the weight of this populistism. The Founding Fathers would have overwhelmingly opposed this legislation.

Well why didn't you just say "I don't want to talk about it I just want to use this thread as an excuse to spew talking points" :badgrin:

Well why didn't you just say "I don't want to talk about it I just want to use this thread as an excuse to spew talking points" :badgrin:

Plymco, it is called political philosophy of the founders, who eschewed leftist democracy, which is exactly what this bill has become.

And you support it?

I think the responsibility of teaching a child about a subject should be someone with actual knowledge of the subject.

Or would you have an electrician teach your child biology?

I think decisions regarding how children are educated, barring obvious abuse or neglect, should be up to their parents.

Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
-John Adams

Yes, knowledge is good. Let the school teach kids about math, science, history, and other subjects and let the parents instill values.

Johnny's medal for participating is useless if he can't read what it says.

Republicans hate science because science involves facts.

Republicans hate facts.

That's why only 6% of scientists are Republicans.

Link or stfu

It is no secret that the ranks of scientists and engineers in the United States include dismal numbers of Hispanics and African-Americans, but few have remarked about another significantly underrepresented group: Republicans.

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.

This immense imbalance has political consequences. When President Obama appears Wednesday on Discovery Channel's Mythbusters (9 p.m. ET), he will be there not just to encourage youngsters to do their science homework but also to reinforce the idea that Democrats are the party of science and rationality. And why not? Most scientists are already on his side. Imagine if George W. Bush had tried such a stunt—every major newspaper in the country would have run an op-ed piece by some Nobel Prize winner asking how the guy who prohibited stem-cell research and denied climate change could have the gall to appear on a program that extols the power of scientific thinking.

Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem. - Slate Magazine
Well, whattya know...lefty echo chamber Slate got the study wrong, too.

Idiots.

The point is that your ability to send your kid to public school doesn't depend on your ability to pay for it. And that's how it should be. As conservatives like to say, not everything in life is "fair". But in this case the most important fairness is that all kids get to go to school, even if (or even especially if) their parents are poor or selfish or neglectful.

It might be true that everyone pays property taxes in one way or anther (even if they rent or whatever). But not everyone pays the same, and "punishment" for being poor isn't that your kids don't get an education.

Also: you forgot homeschoolers.
Of course it does. If parents wish to send their kids to better schools they opt to buy a home in a nicer neighborhood with good schools. Nicer neighborhoods cost more to live in. Homes are valued higher and as such as saddled with a higher property tax burden. Therefore, better schools cost more.

I had friends who would travel for an hour and a half every day from a different school district just to be at the school I went to.
And they did this how?....Most likely by using a false address to set up residency in another district. Or using the address of a family member in the more desirable district.
Happens all the time.
Just last year, a star football player's parents got busted for using a fake address so their kid could attend a school with a better football program.
The result was the kid lost any chance at getting a college athletic scholarship and the cheating cost the football team all of it's victories and it's state football championship run.
Of course the dishonest parents were livid. Schmucks.
The point is, under normal circumstances people send their kids to the schools assigned by the government.

Republicans hate facts.

A friend of mine started a school many years ago. She's a smart and incredibly hard-working woman.

Anyway, I remember one of the things she told me was you never ever let the parents determine the curriculum. They would get parents, she said, who'd want to tell the teachers how to do their jobs. But even through it might make the parents unhappy, they wouldn't compromise the school to make them happy.

Professionals don't do things the way amateurs think they should be done.

If you don't like you electrician, you get another electrician. You don't stand over his shoulder and say, "Don't you think the wire should go HERE?"
When my child's involved, I get a say. You don't like it?

Tough shit. You're not qualified to raise my children.

Republicans hate facts.

A friend of mine started a school many years ago. She's a smart and incredibly hard-working woman.

Anyway, I remember one of the things she told me was you never ever let the parents determine the curriculum. They would get parents, she said, who'd want to tell the teachers how to do their jobs. But even through it might make the parents unhappy, they wouldn't compromise the school to make them happy.

If you don't like you electrician, you get another electrician. You don't stand over his shoulder and say, "Don't you think the wire should go HERE?"

You can advise, daveman, not tell the teacher what to do in a public school: not how it is done.

Home school or private school, then.

Link or stfu

It is no secret that the ranks of scientists and engineers in the United States include dismal numbers of Hispanics and African-Americans, but few have remarked about another significantly underrepresented group: Republicans.

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.

This immense imbalance has political consequences. When President Obama appears Wednesday on Discovery Channel's Mythbusters (9 p.m. ET), he will be there not just to encourage youngsters to do their science homework but also to reinforce the idea that Democrats are the party of science and rationality. And why not? Most scientists are already on his side. Imagine if George W. Bush had tried such a stunt—every major newspaper in the country would have run an op-ed piece by some Nobel Prize winner asking how the guy who prohibited stem-cell research and denied climate change could have the gall to appear on a program that extols the power of scientific thinking.

Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem. - Slate Magazine

Idiots.
It is common knowledge that our institutes of higher learning are bastions of liberalism.
People in college who are found to have conservative beliefs are shouted down and ostracized.

I am confused and saddened as to how some people could honestly believe their lack of knowledge is the same as knowledge. Often at the expensive of those who wish to know.

And I'm just saddened that anyone thinks that adults who have graduated from our educational system is completely ignorant of what is and should be taught in that system. I know our educational system is a mess, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people who have a degree to have retained some of that knowledge.

Oh? What is the percentage of parents that have graduated again?

Go on, tell me.
How many children have you raised again?

Go on, tell me.

There's a better way to do it but you have to pay attention to the people you elect. Maybe this makes it easier. It's interesting to note that the left trusts the union based teaching system even though the US ranks pretty low but they don't trust parents to get involved in what's being taught to their kids.

No, a parent should always be as completely involved as possible with the education of their child, but having the parent actually capable of severely modifying the education system on a whim is downright dangerous.

I would like to point out that there are many private schools available for parents who want a more specialized education.
"Dangerous"?

It sounds like you're more concerned about liberal indoctrination than about science and math.

There's a better way to do it but you have to pay attention to the people you elect. Maybe this makes it easier. It's interesting to note that the left trusts the union based teaching system even though the US ranks pretty low but they don't trust parents to get involved in what's being taught to their kids.

No, a parent should always be as completely involved as possible with the education of their child, but having the parent actually capable of severely modifying the education system on a whim is downright dangerous.

I would like to point out that there are many private schools available for parents who want a more specialized education.

tell that to my Asperger's 6th grader, who with my insistence on an IEP this year (completely changes most educational processes in school), has all A's, as opposed to last year where he was a C student at best, and failing at worst.

Because of his diagnosis, the school system picks up the cost involved in any and all changes in education for my son. I should think that libtards would be thrilled that this law requires parents to pick up the cost of this type of thing, and doesn't cost the school system what it must have cost to completely rework my sons education.
They're not concerned about the cost. They're concerned about the impact on indoctrination.

Yes, the normal parents have every right to be worried about indoctrination from the Far Left and the Far Right.

Here's what I'd like to see....some red state, Texas for example...incorporate ALL those Right wing suggestions on Education and do it for at least 13 years...long enough for a complete wave of students to pass thru from K-12.

Incorporate:
1. No teacher's union at all
2. Vouchers
3. School Choice
4. Parential control of curriculum
5. Intelligent design, Creationism taught
6. School led prayer.

And sit back and watch.
Can't do any worse than what the left has done.

You can advise, daveman, not tell the teacher what to do in a public school: not how it is done.

Home school or private school, then.
We home schooled my daughters when we were in SC because the local district sucked. When my oldest was in middle school, we had to teach her her math lesson every evening because her East Indian teacher's accent my daughter couldn't understand her. Complaining to the teacher didn't help. Complaining to the school didn't help. We lived on base and so were not paying property taxes, so I wasn't as angry as I would have been if we were, because we wouldn't have been getting our money's worth.

I repeat: My child? I get a say. End of story.

Idiots.
It is common knowledge that our institutes of higher learning are bastions of liberalism.
People in college who are found to have conservative beliefs are shouted down and ostracized.
Funny how the left can point to this study as "proof" of something -- but deny that academia is biased leftward. :cool:

I think decisions regarding how children are educated, barring obvious abuse or neglect, should be up to their parents.

-John Adams

Yes, knowledge is good. Let the school teach kids about math, science, history, and other subjects and let the parents instill values.

No I absolutely agree with this.

Though I think it's important for parents to guide, not brainwash their children.

-John Adams

No I absolutely agree with this.

Though I think it's important for parents to guide, not brainwash their children.
You don't get a say in how parents raise their children.

That confirms it: You're more concerned about the danger this bill poses to liberal indoctrination in the classroom that you are about
education.

Forum List

Back