New Job... New Hat... New Leather...

Pale Rider said:
Sounds like a really fun day dillo. I hope you do get some pics. I'd love to see them.

had a blast but was pretty unsuccessful with the photos--literally thousands of bikers and some Orange County customs on display---beautiful bikes!!

dilloduck said:
I think your hanging on to a pretty old stero-type here--bikers now come in all shapes and sizes.

So prepies (sp) ride? Not stero-typing at all........most of the bikers I know, and I know several, all have beards. I thought it must be because the hair on their face helps protect their skin from thw wind ..or something like that. I know the boots and the leather help keep them warm.

It's like cowboys wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, hussies show a lot of skin, rich women like mink.... it's all show not stero-typing.

Just as you are what you eat, you are what you wear. ;)

There are more Dr's and lawyers owning Harleys than any other profession, last stats I saw. (You have to make some dough to be able to afford one, that's fer sure!)

I been riding for close to 30 years (started in the dirt when I was a kid...), and I have worn a helmet most of the time...there are occassions when I have ridden without one, like at some of the Charity rides, where there are over 100,000 bikes, and the local laws permit the choice....most of the time, speeds are under 20 mph.

What I find amusing is the "beanie" helmets that people wear, when there are helmet laws. The "beanies" might as well have a propeller on top, because your chances of flight are the same as your chances of protection, in case you were to get in an accident!

I think it ought to be a choice for the rider.....but I think there ought to be a law requiring riders to wear soes or boots that at the very least cover your toes, and also riders MUST wear pants!!!!!!!

Nothing gets me worked up, like seeing an idiot wearing flip flops and shorts running down the road!!!!

Enough of my rant!

Hat and jacket look nice Pale Rider....what brand of Jacket is it? I just bought a Joe Rocket Ballistic for wet and cold days, and have plenty of leather jackets, vests ande chaps for when I am "on the road."

I almost bought a Harley a couple of years back. A sporster Anniversary edition. But then I thought to myself....... you don't know how to drive a motorcycle, you'll kill your fool self.

But that leather is sexy.

Fmr jarhead said:
Hat and jacket look nice Pale Rider....what brand of Jacket is it?

The leather is Harley Davidson. They call it the Shovelhead. I buy all my stuff exclusively from Harley Davidson. Why? Well, for one, I'm a Harley tech, and two, I get a DISCOUNT since I work for a Harley dealership, and three, it's really, really nice stuff. I've never seen any better when it comes to quality biker leather.

pretender said:
Why do most bikers have beards and long hair?

I had to ponder this question. I really didn't know what to say. The best answer I can give you, and speaking only for myself, is "because that's the way I want to look". No particular reason, I just like long hair. The beard comes and goes. It really makes no difference to me whether I have one or not. But quite frankly, I get sick of shaving, so alas, a beard appears every so often.

Pale Rider said:
The leather is Harley Davidson. They call it the Shovelhead. I buy all my stuff exclusively from Harley Davidson. Why? Well, for one, I'm a Harley tech, and two, I get a DISCOUNT since I work for a Harley dealership, and three, it's really, really nice stuff. I've never seen any better when it comes to quality biker leather.

I buy Joe Rocket stuff. Harley Leather would look odd on my Duc.

Bonnie said:
Wowy!!!!!!! Not much else to say!!

You forgot "Hubba Hubba!" and "Hello, Hottie!" and "Daaaaaaaaaaaamn."

:teeth:

Oh, and "Not bad for an old man." - but that one might getcher ass kicked. :D

Shattered said:

Gotta love a man in leather!!! :cool:

Shattered said:

Damn... I was feelin' pretty good with all that up until the "old man" stuff.

Oh well... I really don't feel much different than I did when I was 25, and I'm still in much the same shape.

49 ain't nothin. Wait another 30 years, THEN call me "old man".

Pale Rider said:
Damn... I was feelin' pretty good with all that up until the "old man" stuff.

Oh well... I really don't feel much different than I did when I was 25, and I'm still in much the same shape.

49 ain't nothin. Wait another 30 years, THEN call me "old man".

Sorry... I refuse to age past 29 - Been 29 for years,, so, I don't think I'll ever be old. :)

Pale Rider said:
I road motorcycle in Wisconsin for twenty five years Shattered, and rarely ever wore helmet. I'm still alive. Experience teaches you a lot about riding defensively. And I think that's the number one reason for most motorcycle accidents. Young riders buying too fast of bikes with little or no experience.

Congrats on the job Pale ,
What those who have never ridden don't realize is the amount of sensory awareness you lose with a helmet . Your eyesight is screwed up (lowered peripheral vision)and you can throw your hearing out the window . Without a helmet your eyes and ears are free to work together to help you stay safer from the public who is usually too absorbed with their own life to see you coming . I drove a little Triumph Spitfire when I was in college and was almost runover many times when wonderfully thoughtful people decided to change lanes on top of me (and that was a car!. . . kind of). Cell phones , huge sound systems , GPS units , food , drink , DVD units , applying makeup , picking the nose , drunkeness , getting a BJ , or just being a liberal. . . all when coupled with huge vehicles that lull you into a catatonic state , have made a need for EXTRA sensory perception a must just to arrive alive. Besides , if I get thrown off my scooter at 70 mph , I think I would rather have my life not saved by the helmet .

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
sitarro said:
What those who have never ridden don't realize is the amount of sensory awareness you lose with a helmet . Your eyesight is screwed up (lowered peripheral vision)and you can throw your hearing out the window . Without a helmet your eyes and ears are free to work together to help you stay safer from the public who is usually too absorbed with their own life to see you coming . I drove a little Triumph Spitfire when I was in college and was almost runover many times when wonderfully thoughtful people decided to change lanes on top of me (and that was a car!. . . kind of). Cell phones , huge sound systems , GPS units , food , drink , DVD units , applying makeup , picking the nose , drunkeness , getting a BJ , or just being a liberal. . . all when coupled with huge vehicles that lull you into a catatonic state , have made a need for EXTRA sensory perception a must just to arrive alive. Besides , if I get thrown off my scooter at 70 mph , I think I would rather have my life not saved by the helmet .
LOL that old spitfire was just barely a car---my buddy and I used to pick his up and put it in a tough place to park! :laugh:

sitarro said:

Very funny but true story Bud.

I also had a friend that had a little Spitfire, in Vegas. We'd always go cruising in it with the top down, and I swear he could wind it out to about 152,000 RPM. :D And then when he backed off and shifted it, it rapped off just as loud as when he was getting on it. Crazy little car. We had a lot of fun in it.

Forum List

Back